Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Small Wide 3 row Jeep coming worldwide!

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score

Google translate:

Information about this car is still scarce. It is called “D-Low” in the five-year plan that Fiat-Chrysler introduced in June 2018. Motor1.com has learned that it will have a new platform, which mixes elements of the Small-Wide base used by Compass, Renegade and Toro, with “a solution coming from Europe” - everything indicates that it is the Giorgio architecture, used by Alfa Romeo Stelvio and that will also serve as the basis for the new generation of Cherokee.

Antonio Filosa, president of FCA Latin America, said at a press conference that the project is Brazilian and was born initially as a car for Latin America. This changed when they presented the vehicle internally and other markets were interested: “It was so good that it will be produced in other parts of the world”, reveals the executive. Filosa also states that the SUV will be aimed at the luxury market, being the most refined of the brand to be produced in Brazil.

Contrary to rumors circulating in the press, our sources guarantee that this model will not be a mere Compass stretched to have a third row of banks, but a new product developed from scratch. At the time we published the first images, we were told that it will have a different headset and suspension set than the average SUV that is already on the streets. In addition, it will have an unprecedented design and name.

TripleT

Reaction score
Computational power is making top hat'ing obsolete. This why people are confused about platforms and architecture ..... it really not CUSW or SUSW or Giorgio ….. it combining the lessons learned from each iteration and applying it each new models product specification. It is leading in toward individual model optimization, and maybe someday even individual consumer optimization …. in a eventual new age where additive manufacturing, Optimization, and Computational power converge.

…… but what do I know.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
Dunno, I presume late this or early next year. Based on mule pictures it seems like development is in a very advanced phase. Who knows, maybe they'll unveil it even sooner.

pumadog

Reaction score
Might the Tonale use the same solution mix? They might share European production then. On the other hand, the „other markets“ could exclude Europe and North America.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
@pumadog

AFAIK Mercosur has FTA in place with both Mexico and the EU. So they can export cars from Brazil to Mexico and EU without tariff.

This part will be slightly political. One of the reasons why Mercosur has signed FTA with EU is a beef export. EU signed mostly because of German car manufacturers. Their idea is to export (premium) cars from Germany to Brazil.

So Brazil can feed almost all important markets for FCA. US is of course not in the mix. One of the articles from the past few days suggests this.
The issue could be in Brazil-EU Transatlantic route. It's not the particularly common one. That means that transportation costs could be high. Of course ideal would be to shift the same amount of cars from Brazil to EU and vice versa. FCA is usually using Grimaldi Group for Transatlantic car transportation.

Tonale and this 3 row SUV? Yes, I believe they are related. In what extent? It could be rear suspension design, width which should be wider in comparison to a Jeep Compass, maybe even new C/D pillar design. For example Stelvio has a very interesting C pillar design which helps with handling:
http://instagr.am/p/B7_izryFYCA/

pumadog

Reaction score
Jeeps C pillar shapes are pretty different though.

Even if you can ship cars from Brasil to Europe, you can‘t sell them for premium or even medium prices here. The have a budget/low quality stigma…

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
You are talking about cars which were built on ancient platforms and with outdated technology. This will not be the case with this Jeep. Besides Pernambuco is the most modern factory in whole FCA universe.

pumadog

Reaction score
That doesn't matter. It's about preconception. There's not one non-low-budget car from South America that sold well in Europe AFAIK. Why shouldn't that Jeep share the line with Tonale if it comes to Europe?

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
The EU-Mercosur FTA still isn't ratified by the EU Parliament and I doubt it will be ratified thanks to Bolsonaro acting like and idiot against France.

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
If they did away with the Cherokee it would make sense to bring it to North America as the Compass has more interior volume than the Cherokee already. Use the Belvidere plant to build a few new products.

TripleT

Reaction score
Compass feel every bit times 2 the difference in price.... if how something drives and performs off road mean anything.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
I've said it multiple times. I would like to see this car as a Chrysler in US. Offer it both as a 5 and a 7 seater.

UN4GTBL

Reaction score
It can't be a Jeep tho. That mule has a 10 slot grille.

/sarcasm.

UN4GTBL

Reaction score
I don't know if the roof will get any taller but if it's not then I have to wonder what the third-row headroom will be like...
...and cargo room 😕

Do any of these designers ever try and put stuff in the back of their sloped roof creations?

TripleT

Reaction score
yes but they also have had to try to keep the glass clean on near vertical surfaces

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
...and cargo room 😕

Do any of these designers ever try and put stuff in the back of their sloped roof creations?

Parcel shelf is there for a reason. Besides outside of US official cargo volume is measured with the maximum height which is parcel shelf position. So it's important for rear door to be vertical only to a parcel shelf height and not above it. Prime example is Stelvio. It lose nothing against competition when cargo volume is measured by VDA standards.

UN4GTBL

Reaction score
I think I was misunderstood lol

yes but they also have had to try to keep the glass clean on near vertical surfaces

What does that matter? There's a wiper and defroster lines. Keeping the rear window clean has never been an issue for me.

Fitting something boxy into the back of a sloped vehicle has been an issue for us, multiple times. I've run into this issue in my old Caliber, my Cherokee and our Caravan too, for the record.

Parcel shelf is there for a reason. Besides outside of US official cargo volume is measured with the maximum height which is parcel shelf position. So it's important for rear door to be vertical only to a parcel shelf height and not above it. Prime example is Stelvio. It lose nothing against competition when cargo volume is measured by VDA standards.

Interesting. So basically they are making taller sedans with only slightly more useful cargo areas.

I care more about being able to put cargo into a vehicle than it being visible through the windows. If I can't get it into the vehicle, the item won't be secure at all.

TripleT

Reaction score
Well personally I don't driving around in Dirt trap but other people have other priorities. I prefer a more aero efficient shape over a brick and as infrequently that I carry cargo. I take a cleaner window and better gas mileage over flat surfaces brick dust bucket. But to each his own. The entire CUV and SUV market is driven by marketing appearance otherwise everyone would be in a Minivan which is better at moving cargo and people. So yes styling matters.

Users who are viewing this thread