Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sergio Marchionne, man and friend is gone at 66

AlexB

Reaction score
John Elkann:"Sergio Marchionne man and friend,, is gone"
Sergio Marchionne, the former chief executive officer of Fiat Chrysler and architect of the automaker’s dramatic turnaround, has died. He was 66.

His death was confirmed Wednesday by Exor NV, the holding company of Fiat’s founding Agnelli family, just days after Marchionne was replaced as CEO. His health had declined suddenly following complications from shoulder surgery at a Zurich hospital. No other details surrounding his death were disclosed.

"Sergio Marchionne, man and friend, is gone,” Fiat Chairman John Elkann said in a statement. "My family and I will be forever grateful for what he has done,” said Elkann, who also is chairman and CEO of Exor.

Selected as CEO of Fiat SpA in June 2004, Marchionne took the Italian manufacturer from the brink of bankruptcy to the New York Stock Exchange, where he rang the bell on Oct. 13, 2014, to mark the debut of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV, the London company created when Fiat bought the Detroit carmaker.
God bless Sergio, and his family.
The rest is :https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...onne-ceo-who-steered-fiat-chrysler-dead-at-66

UN4GTBL

Reaction score
This is so sad.

I guess since he wasn't able to return to work after his surgery, it was a beginning of the end for him, but didn't think it would happen so soon!

bluskye

Reaction score
I am very sad to hear this news. I think Sergio will be remembered for bringing Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep back from bankruptcy and demise. He had a plan, followed that plan, and it succeeded. Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep has not seen the type of innovative products that are now on the market since the 1960's. In addition, Sergio has put the company on a solid financial footing. It is now incumbent on the new leadership to continue to innovate and grow the company.

Jared B

Site editor
Staff member
Reaction score
Definitely saddening news, my condolences to his family and all his co-workers at FCA.

Jared B

Site editor
Staff member
Reaction score
Easy to say now but I had an uneasy feeling when the early reports came out, it definitely did not sound good. He was clearly a very bright man that dedicated a lot of his life and made a lot of excellent moves to save both Fiat and Chrysler, putting them in the excellent position they are today. I think he took a lot of unnecessary heat due to not sugarcoating things, being direct, and others trying to read between the lines/put words in his mouth on certain issues.

I for one like that leadership style, direct and to the point, I know not every move was the right move but overall he did an excellent job with intertwining Fiat and Chrysler to become FCA, you see employees talk about how the work synergy is so much better than the Diamler/Chrysler merger. Watching industry trends now with Ford pulling out of the car market and GM likely pulling most of their cars in the near future, all that flack he took for pulling the Dart and 200 now makes it look like he saw into what was coming for the passenger car market.

May he rest in peace.

Users who are viewing this thread