Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RAM LATAM Introduces Its Updated Ram 1000 Compact Pickup Truck:

RAM LATAM Introduces Its Updated Ram 1000 Compact Pickup Truck:​

Introduces New Rebel Model For 2022...​

1635266817957.png

While the all-new 2022 Ford Maverick compact pickup has been making headlines in the United States and Canada, the RAM brand has been hard at work on updating its own compact offering. The Ram 1000 has played an important role in the brand’s Latin American lineup since its debut in late-2018. Based on the successful Fiat Toro, it shares the Small-Wide 4×4 architecture that also underpins the Jeep Compass (MP) and Jeep Renegade (BU).

Last edited by a moderator:

RamIt

Reaction score
Yes I think it should be released to North America....
It would give Ford Ranger some compatition....

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes... I would like a Maverick comparison

UN4GTBL

Reaction score
Wow, did not expect to see the big screen in there!

bill burke

Reaction score
I am sure there is a reason for not doing what might be necessary to offer this compact Ram in North America, but the reason escapes me. It could be that something else is in the works for Ram, let’s hope so. If a Dodge SUV is coming from Italy, I’m sure it is OK for a compact Ram truck to be sourced from Brazil and a pretty well thought out example I must note too, is not a stretch. Whatever the reason, let us hope that Ram is absolutely planning something to counter Ford, especially since a something is right under their noses ready for market. Let’s hope real hard.

TripleT

Reaction score
There is no Trade path between the USA and Brazil, It could be mexico

Last edited:

Mopar392

Reaction score
I am sure there is a reason for not doing what might be necessary to offer this compact Ram in North America, but the reason escapes me. It could be that something else is in the works for Ram, let’s hope so. If a Dodge SUV is coming from Italy, I’m sure it is OK for a compact Ram truck to be sourced from Brazil and a pretty well thought out example I must note too, is not a stretch. Whatever the reason, let us hope that Ram is absolutely planning something to counter Ford, especially since a something is right under their noses ready for market. Let’s hope real hard.
Maybe they saw no market for it in the US, until currently Ford and Hyundai. The last thing close to the same concept was Subaru Baja and it didn’t last long.

There is no Trade path between the USA and Brazil
They can utilize Toluca.

patfromigh

Reaction score
Stellantis will need to map out a strategy of what it wants for Ram Trucks in Canada, Mexico and the USA. (They are probably working on something since the merger last Spring.) The large BOF pickup trucks and chassis-cabs seem OK at the present time and there is a clear path going forward for the larger ProMaster van series. What about smaller trucks? This isn't the car cafeteria where a brand can simply pick and choose something from the global supply chain to add to their product mix. As Triple T points out, there are logistical problems to be solved when making product decisions. If someone came up with a way to transport vehicles from Brazil to North America for a US Dollar per unit, there is still the problem of the lines in Brazil are running near capacity.

The capacity challenge brings this back to strategy. If the Ram 1000 was to be built in Toluca, MX, what else would be built there? The Jeep Compass is built there and shares the same platform. Should there be other vehicles built there? What ever happened to the metric-ton pick up project? Should the ProMaster City continue to be imported from the EMEA region?

Mopar392

Reaction score
The capacity challenge brings this back to strategy. If the Ram 1000 was to be built in Toluca, MX, what else would be built there? The Jeep Compass is built there and shares the same platform. Should there be other vehicles built there?
If the rumors are true, Cherokee and Pacifica could go to Toluca as well. Considering Compass is already there, and we are suggesting Ram 1000 could also go there for North America import, does Toluca have the capacity to run 4 vehicles production line?

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
There is no Trade path between the USA and Brazil, It could be mexico
I think this is the reason (also the reason why it never came to Europe). Also the timing to launch it in the US is already gone. The Toro/Ram 1000 were launched in 2016. It's an already old product. And although it uses the Ram badge this was developed by Fiat Brasil.
I think some internal FCA politics might've prevented this from reaching the US. I doubt FCA North America (and RAM) would green light the launch of a product in the US that they didn't have much say over. Especially when they are the most lucrative or second most lucrative brand of FCA and I bet Stellantis.
If I was an exec responsible for the brand in the US I would check it out to study the launch of a compact pick-up in the US though.

Deckard Cain

Reaction score

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
The Gladiator is selling well as a midsize truck. They should make a RAM midsize truck and then a compact one.

patfromigh

Reaction score
Now that we know that Kokomo will build the Gen 4, ZF 8 speed for rear drive based Stellantis products, I wonder what a possible Ram Classic replacement might be. A mid-size plugin hybrid truck won't be cheap, but could fulfill the needs of the day. Jeep has pretty much admitted the Gladiator will be electrified, so a Ram with the same frame could share much with that. However the Ram should use an IFS setup and be less off-road focused.

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
The Ram Classic is still available? I think what you defend makes perfect sense.
Would love to see a midsize Ram pick-up in Europe to compete against the Ford Ranger.

Users who are viewing this thread