Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram Introduces New Multi-function Tailgate In Chicago:

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
Ram Introduces New Multi-function Tailgate In Chicago:
New Tailgate Design & Center Step Offer More Functionality Than Ever Before...

Edited at 12:01am EST 2/6/2019

Back in December, our spy photographers caught multiple 2019 Ram 1500 running around the Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) Auburn Hills, Michigan campus with black vinyl camouflage covering the pickup box. Over the past few years, several prototypes of the tailgate had been spotted in various stages of development. Now, Ram has pulled back the covers showing us this new tailgate design.

Ram has been known for their pickups offering innovative cargo management designs and the new Multi-function Tailgate adds to Ram’s offerings. The new Multi-function Tailgate design consist of a 60/40 split design. It will offer the functionality of a typical pickup tailgate, however it will also add a new swing-away functionality.

7.jpg

2019 Ram 1500 Rebel Crew Cab 4×4 with Multifunction Tailgate. (Ram).

The dual side-hinged tailgate doors offer enhanced accessibility to the interior of the pickup box. When the tailgate is up, the side-hinged doors are independent and can make curbside loading easier than ever before. The Multi-function Tailgate has four configurations; open flat, open left door only, open right door only and open both doors.

To read the complete article, click the link below...

Last edited:

Freshforged

Reaction score
Wow. That’s nice! And it has a 2000 pound rating in the “down” position. That took some engineering chops.

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
Most importantly unlike the complex GMC tailgate, the Ram one can still function normally with a trailer attached to the ball hitch on the truck. The GMC has to be free of any trailer to deploy.

GasAxe

Reaction score
GMC stole a bit of Rams thunder, but this configuration looks to be much more useful. I'm surprised they didn't dub it the Ram-Gate..?

I'm really interested in how the pivot and lock points are engineered. Can one side go down while the other swings out? Can either side lock closed while the other is open? I can see having one side open for over length items while keeping the other side closed.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
GMC stole a bit of Rams thunder, but this configuration looks to be much more useful. I'm surprised they didn't dub it the Ram-Gate..?

I'm really interested in how the pivot and lock points are engineered. Can one side go down while the other swings out? Can either side lock closed while the other is open? I can see having one side open for over length items while keeping the other side closed.

My understanding, you cannot have only 1 side pivoted down, as the pivot pins are standard (outside of the gate into the rails). You should be able to have one locked closed and one swung to the side, though. I think each may latch into the a bottom rail near the split.

They list 4 functions. If you could have one side down and the other up i think that would make it 6 function.

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
As far as I know, only the RamBox. I will confirm tomorrow at the launch in Chicago. The step isn't limited to the RamBox though.
Shouldn't the step be limited to the trucks with the split tailgate? I can't see how it'd be useful with a traditional tailgate.

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
Shouldn't the step be limited to the trucks with the split tailgate? I can't see how it'd be useful with a traditional tailgate.

Low step new bumper system on the Ram 1500... also Mopar offers a smaller deployable step for the corner of the box already, this one is bigger.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
As far as I know, only the RamBox. I will confirm tomorrow at the launch in Chicago. The step isn't limited to the RamBox though.

That would be interesting if it is only limited to 5th gen ramboxes....i thought that part of the rear side rails where the tailgate mounts is identical to standard bed trucks.

It would also possibly limit them from having it on the 4.5 gen 2019 Ram HDs. I see this as more of a HD play, if you're selling its use for work and loading pallets with forklifts...

Looking forward to your reports from chicago

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Funny comment from GM engineer, regarding GM considering use of a barn door tailgate from GMauthority article:

"When GM debuted the GMC MultiPro tailgate last year, the automaker indicated that it had considered a barn door opening tailgate like the Ram’s, but ultimately decided against it.

“We did look at a bunch of different options… we didn’t want to do a barn door because you can’t package it well with a step,” said GMC Sierra program engineer Roger Olle. “We wanted the step to be the first priority, and we wanted to ensure it would perform the same as a standard tailgate. We didn’t want to sacrifice anything in terms of functionality.”"

What? So let me get this straight...they didn't do it because they "can't package it well with a step".... yet GM's PRIMARY STEP SOLUTION IS THE SIDE BUMPER STEP, which is identical height to the center portion of the bumper (where the license plate is), which is able to be accessed with 60/40 barn door hinge...

So the GMC Sierra program engineer is on record saying he doesn't think using the bumper as a step works??? That's a really unfortunate quote from a GM engineer!

Not to mention the fact they couldn't figure out how to make it act as a standard tailgate...yet apparently Ram engineers could

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Funny comment from GM engineer, regarding GM considering use of a barn door tailgate from GMauthority article:

"When GM debuted the GMC MultiPro tailgate last year, the automaker indicated that it had considered a barn door opening tailgate like the Ram’s, but ultimately decided against it.

“We did look at a bunch of different options… we didn’t want to do a barn door because you can’t package it well with a step,” said GMC Sierra program engineer Roger Olle. “We wanted the step to be the first priority, and we wanted to ensure it would perform the same as a standard tailgate. We didn’t want to sacrifice anything in terms of functionality.”"

What? So let me get this straight...they didn't do it because they "can't package it well with a step".... yet GM's PRIMARY STEP SOLUTION IS THE SIDE BUMPER STEP, which is identical height to the center portion of the bumper (where the license plate is), which is able to be accessed with 60/40 barn door hinge...

So the GMC Sierra program engineer is on record saying he doesn't think using the bumper as a step works??? That's a really unfortunate quote from a GM engineer!

Not to mention the fact they couldn't figure out how to make it act as a standard tailgate...yet apparently Ram engineers could
One side of the barn doors could fold down and the step piece could pop out like an off-center version of the current Sierra MultiPro tailgate step... there are a lot of step options they could have explored.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
One side of the barn doors could fold down and the step piece could pop out like an off-center version of the current Sierra MultiPro tailgate step... there are a lot of step options they could have explored.

I wondered about that as well...but having one portion fold down would have be been much more complicated as you'd need a pretty rigid pivot in the center split that can also release when one side swings out.

GasAxe

Reaction score
The thing is with a step, I think most people need them to climb in the bed because they can't reach far enough. The barn door is genius because it keep the person on the ground yet increases their reach inside. A person can now use the license plate drop in the bumper as a step now without having to climb over the tailgate, plus have two handholds on either side with the barn doors open. The ergonomics look much more practical than the open air step on the GMC tailgate.

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I wondered about that as well...but having one portion fold down would have be been much more complicated as you'd need a pretty rigid pivot in the center split that can also release when one side swings out.
And it would require another body line on the one side of the tailgate. They could have done something similar to Ford and made the top of one of the "barn doors" into a step that slides out. But you still couldn't use that with a trailer. Ram has the best solution IMO.

I've heard so many people say how cool the GMC tailgate is though. Ram's may be better, but GMC was first.

UN4GTBL

Reaction score
Personally, I think this is the best design compared to Ford's step, and GM's flip/fold/swing/etc thing that can only hold a cup of coffee.

You have a regular tailgate that functions like normal, and can hold 2.000 lbs.

The way this works looks so easy to use, and the barn door function when open can act as "railings" to help in stepping up/down, and the optional step makes it even easier.

Users who are viewing this thread