Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NHRA U.S. Nationals – Pre-Race Report:

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
NHRA U.S. Nationals – Pre-Race Report:
Don Schumacher Racing Teams Hungry For A Win To Celebrate 20th Anniversary...

Don Schumacher Racing (DSR) celebrates it’s 20th anniversary going into the U.S. Nationals at Indy and the team is hungry to celebrate with a win.

Last year, Mopar Express Lane Dodge Funny Car driver Matt Hagan reset the track speed and Funny Car E.T. record en route to claiming the 2017 Funny Car pole. He is looking to do that again with his new 2019 Dodge Charger SRT HELLCAT Funny Car body.

Napa Auto Parts Dodge Charger R/T Funny Car driver Ron Capps, went to the finals in last year’s race at Indy. Capps is currently second in the Funny Car points race.

1825-00463293ln3tv471ckhg8ph5umre9824.jpg
Leah Pritchett in her Mopar Dodge Challenger Drag Pak. (Mopar)

Leah Pritchett returns to action after a heartbreaking run at Brainerd after being defeated in the first-round of eliminations by Scott Palmer. She is currently fourth in points and will pull double-duty, competing in both Top Fuel and the Factory Stock Showdown in her Dodge Challenger Drag Pak.

“Winning Denver was the pinnacle for me and my team. It would have to be the perfect storm for anything to top that win, but the U.S. Nationals certainly provides us with that backdrop. You look at what we did out there. Let’s say we go out here this weekend and we’re No. 1 qualifier, low E.T. in every single round and I won a couple rounds on holeshots in really close races and without hurting parts. That would be like the perfect weekend, especially being able to do it on the biggest stage. I’m going to be honest, Denver was incredible on so many levels. To go back and seal the deal at a place where I raced a national event as a child, that was a really emotional win. Ironically, the only other national event I raced as a child was here in Indy, and the first time I ever came here, I ate a piece off the ground, because I knew this was where the professionals raced.
“That’s what it would mean to me. To close the book on another career milestone. I won a Wally here as a junior drag racer and that’s the only thing I’ve won here. This is the biggest race of the year. They call it the Big Go for a big reason.” – Leah Pritchett​
1806-08011g5st3o1io5e5qjchr72gjpprd1.jpg
Tony Schumacher Piloting His U.S. Army Top Dragster. (Mopar).

Tony Schumacher will try to expand his record at Indy, going for his 11th victory at the track. Last year he qualified fourth at the track and went to the semifinals before being eliminated. Tony and his U.S. Army/Mopar Top Fuel Dragster team currently sit second in the Top Fuel points with 23 round wins this season.

You know, Indy for me, it means kind of everything. There are a few tracks on the circuit that have extra special meaning and this is one of them. This is the first place that I ever raced a Top Fuel car and so much happened that weekend as a young driver coming into the sport. We lost a world champion. We lost a Top Fuel motorcycle rider. We qualified 16th in a car that I had never made a full pass in my entire life with a team of guys that I met the week before. That was the welcome to Top Fuel racing and NHRA for me. It was right here. I can remember the faces, the smells. And to be in the final round, I remember the talk with Cory Mac before and the talk with Cory Mac after, who beat me in the finals. That was the beginning for me at this place and to have the chance now, so many years later, to come into a race here with ten Indy wins. You know, the first was in 2000 against Gary Clapshaw, who red-lit, but to have that moment with a new sponsor in the U.S. Army, who we were going to show what this team was made of. To go out and win the first one, it was incredible. Now fast forward 19 years later, and knowing that this is our last time together to have a chance to give back to them, the final Indy with the U.S. Army is huge. What they have done for DSR, the team members and me personally as a character-building group of men and women, it’s just been so fantastic. I know I would be proud and my team would be proud to give them one last trophy from Indy.” – Tony Schumacher​
To read the rest of the article, click the link below...
https://moparinsiders.com/nhra-u-s-nationals-pre-race-report/

Users who are viewing this thread