Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next-gen Jeep Grand Cherokee spy shots?

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Boy that roof line looks an awful lot like current durango, which makes sense i guess.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
As expected. From what I know Alfa 964 was closely related. But... Of course if they'll keep Alfa it will have different gasoline engines in comparison to Jeep. Diesels should be shared, Gen III 3.0 V6, and of course 2.2 all aluminium diesel as a base engine.

Blown7

Reaction score
How can people tell from a picture it has a longer wheelbase and wider stance?

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
Is it based on Stelvio? If it is some things may be expected. For example track witdh. AFAIK Stelvio (949/GU) is almost an inch wider than WK2. I presume that WL will be even wider than Stelvio.

Wheelbase? WK2 has a short wheelbase for an E segment SUV. Its "twin" GLE has grown a lot. So we can expect that Grand Cherokee will grow by at least 2 inches.

UN4GTBL

Reaction score
Is it based on Stelvio? If it is some things may be expected. For example track witdh. AFAIK Stelvio (949/GU) is almost an inch wider than WK2. I presume that WL will be even wider than Stelvio.

Wheelbase? WK2 has a short wheelbase for an E segment SUV. Its "twin" GLE has grown a lot. So we can expect that Grand Cherokee will grow by at least 2 inches.

I hope so, it's small for it's segment IMO, especially rear seat room/comfort.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
Some cars or someone would say SUVs for which Gen III V6 diesel was or is under development. WL is in that list.

• Mechanical Design Engineer
    April 2015 – March 2018 3 years
    Cento (FE)
    Resident Design Engineer at VM MOTORI FCA (Fiat Chrysler Automobiles)
    Department: Engineering BEC (Base Engine Components (engine block, crankshaft, connecting rod, piston))
    Principali progetti:
    - supporto migrazione dal sistema cad Catia V5 a Siemens NX
    - engine block V6 JL Gen3
    - engine block V6 DT Gen3
    - engine Block V6 E-UV Gen3 (Alfa Romeo project 964, Jeep WL)
    - update engine Block V6 Gen2
    - study layout V6 Twin Turbo

Blown7

Reaction score
Some cars or someone would say SUVs for which Gen III V6 diesel was or is under development. WL is in that list.

• Mechanical Design Engineer
    April 2015 – March 2018 3 years
    Cento (FE)
    Resident Design Engineer at VM MOTORI FCA (Fiat Chrysler Automobiles)
    Department: Engineering BEC (Base Engine Components (engine block, crankshaft, connecting rod, piston))
    Principali progetti:
    - supporto migrazione dal sistema cad Catia V5 a Siemens NX
    - engine block V6 JL Gen3
    - engine block V6 DT Gen3
    - engine Block V6 E-UV Gen3 (Alfa Romeo project 964, Jeep WL)
    - update engine Block V6 Gen2
    - study layout V6 Twin Turbo
Doesn't the current models offer diesel?

Me I only concern myself with the SRT's and Trackhawks... I like fast...

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
Old diesel is a Gen 2. This new version is a Gen 3. A lot has changed. Even maximum torque on paper, 14% more and now it peaks already at 1600 rpm in comparison to 2000 rpm for old one.

In Europe Grand Cherokee version or Jeep version is rated at 190 and 250 HP. There is a Maserati version with 275 HP but its turbo has a ceramic ball bearing.

In my opinion 190 HP version could be replaced by an all aluminium 2.2 liter diesel which is already in use by Alfa and Wrangler. It goes up to 210 HP for Alfa and 200 HP for Wrangler. Torque is not an issue for 2.2. Wrangler version has 450 Nm (332 lb ft) at 2000 rpm while Alfa has 470 Nm (347 lb ft) at 1750 rpm. 3.0 with 190 HP has 440 Nm (325 ft lb) at 1600 rpm.
The most important is that 2.2 weighs at least 80 kilos (176 lbs) if not up to 100 (220 lbs) less than 3.0 V6.

This class of vehicle in Europe is mostly sold as a diesel or a some form of hybrid.

Blown7

Reaction score
Old diesel is a Gen 2. This new version is a Gen 3. A lot has changed. Even maximum torque on paper, 14% more and now it peaks already at 1600 rpm in comparison to 2000 rpm for old one.

In Europe Grand Cherokee version or Jeep version is rated at 190 and 250 HP. There is a Maserati version with 275 HP but its turbo has a ceramic ball bearing.

In my opinion 190 HP version could be replaced by an all aluminium 2.2 liter diesel which is already in use by Alfa and Wrangler. It goes up to 210 HP for Alfa and 200 HP for Wrangler. Torque is not an issue for 2.2. Wrangler version has 450 Nm (332 lb ft) at 2000 rpm while Alfa has 470 Nm (347 lb ft) at 1750 rpm. 3.0 with 190 HP has 440 Nm (325 ft lb) at 1600 rpm.
The most important is that 2.2 weighs at least 80 kilos (176 lbs) if not up to 100 (220 lbs) less than 3.0 V6.

This class of vehicle in Europe is mostly sold as a diesel or a some form of hybrid.

Yes I saw that yesterday with the TFL truck specs on the new Ram diesel engine. On the other hand isn't most countries looking to limit or outright ban diesel engines?

TripleT

Reaction score
Everything starts life as something. You don't often start from scratch these days.

TripleT

Reaction score
New Code folks.... anyone want to bet the build points are not in common with either of the current Alfa models?

Blown7

Reaction score
New Code folks.... anyone want to bet the build points are not in common with either of the current Alfa models?
So your proposing that the New Grand Cherokee and Wagoneer are sharing design points to themselves and its a whole new design??

TripleT

Reaction score
So your proposing that the New Grand Cherokee and Wagoneer are sharing design points to themselves and its a whole new design??

No sharing opportunity does not mean same build points, systems and components. I saying it not G platform mate like the Stelvio.

Blown7

Reaction score
No sharing opportunity does not mean same build points, systems and components. I saying it not G platform mate like the Stelvio.
Thanks thats interesting for all the hype that has been going on for awhile. I looked and drove the Stelvio Quad and didn't think it was remotely as big as the current Grand Cherokee Trackhawk I have.

TripleT

Reaction score
Thanks thats interesting for all the hype that has been going on for awhile. I looked and drove the Stelvio Quad and didn't think it was remotely as big as the current Grand Cherokee Trackhawk I have.

Little bird says GG platform a Global E sized build points. Architecture vs Platform thing still crosses people up. We already know the G platform is too small for E segment cars and something new was developed. Common build points are smart business as long as they do not compromise the integrity and performance of the vehicle. Be interesting to see how close it is too the existing Brampton build points... just sayin. So much for narrative that the Alfa experiments were a waste of money. Been saying for years down stream vehicle will benefit, even the Pacifica did. Now some high volume with direct benefit will be hitting the show room. People are so impatient

Blown7

Reaction score
Little bird says GG platform a Global E sized build points. Architecture vs Platform thing still crosses people up. We already know the G platform is too small for E segment cars and something new was developed. Common build points are smart business as long as they do not compromise the integrity and performance of the vehicle. Be interesting to see how close it is too the existing Brampton build points... just sayin. So much for narrative that the Alfa experiments were a waste of money. Been saying for years down stream vehicle will benefit, even the Pacifica did. Now some high volume with direct benefit will be hitting the show room. People are so impatient

So basically you might be saying ..That once I see the New Grand Cherokee Trackhawk of 2020/21...... it will make my 2018 ride like a truck and even with the same Hellcat engine the handling will be a lot better and a time beater on a racetrack?

Rustydodge

Reaction score
It's not very hard to imagine how good this vehicle should be. Take current Durango for size, with GC looks and offroad settings, and add some Stelvio handling.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread