Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KrisW

Reaction score
The best, by a clear margin of the 2020 Superbowl adverts. Bill Murray is brilliant as ever. (Co-incidentally, I'd only watched "Lost in Translation" for the first time last week, and it's a fantastic performance.. don't know why I missed it before, especially as I also have stayed at that hotel, due to a pretty serious currency-conversion error by my employer's travel agent. Amazing place.)

Got to say that the other car ads were all pretty poor, with honorable exception for Toyota's Highlander spot: these are family-taxis, so it's a good fit, and there was even one good joke in there too. Audi's two were unimaginative: the chase was a stupid premise, totally fake, but it had some nice old cars, and the "Let it Go" basically hangs on "oh it's that song from Frozen" (but leaves in the lines that make you think she's threatened and neurotic). Hyundai's "Pahk" was just lame, and the Hummer's launch ad was pretty weak, and grossly innacurate about how quiet EVs are.

But the worst, most misguided and brand-damaging ad has to be Genesis. Ignoring the fact that the central character comes across as an obnoxious b_tch (which would be the worst move in any other ad), the central idea, of stereotyping and insulting your competitors' customers, hits new levels of wrong and it forgets one thing - as a brand, Genesis is trying to sell to that exact same group of people. True, nobody sees themselves in those stereotypes, but they do see their friends in them.. and "your friends are all idiots" isn't a good way to sell someone a car. I've got friends whose quirks annoy me sometimes, but they're my friends, and I won't take it kindly if some dick of a company starts insulting them.

Users who are viewing this thread