Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Citroen C5 X Is A Comfort-Focused Flagship That Walks Between Wagons And SUVs

Deckard Cain

Reaction score

This is the all-new Citroen C5 X, the new flagship model from the French carmaker described as a blend of a saloon, estate, and SUV.

The new Citroen C5 X draws heavy inspiration from the 2016 CXperience concept for its design, adopting a wagon-like bodywork with a sloping fastback-like roofline towards the rear end, and is also the first model to feature Citroen’s new ‘Advanced Comfort’ active suspension system that promises a ‘magic carpet’ ride quality.

Both ends of the new C5 X feature Citroen’s latest V-shaped LED lights, a design cue that was first seen in the latest C4, while the body is distinguished by the high waistline, the long bonnet, and the fluid lines in general.

The new Citroen C5 X measures 4,805 mm long, 1,865 mm wide, and 1,485 mm tall, which gives it a size similar to that of a VW Passat Variant, or Estate. The wheelbase is quite long, measuring 2,785 mm, ensuring outstanding legroom for the rear passengers according to Citroen.

What’s under the hood

Citroen’s new flagship model will become available with both plug-in hybrid and petrol powertrains; the range-topping model will offer 225 HP from combining a 1.6-liter turbocharged four-cylinder and an electric motor, which will be capable of driving up to 84 mph (135 km/h) in EV mode and offer a pure electric driving range of up to 31 miles (50 km).

All variants of the new C5 X will feature Citroen’s ‘Advanced Comfort’ suspension system but the plug-in hybrid models will get the new Active version as standard fit. These will offer three modes to choose from, with the softest setting allowing the car to ‘glide’ over the road and the firmest setting enabling “sharper control and precision” during cornering.

In addition, the new Citroen C5 X features a spacious cabin fitted with special ‘Advanced Comfort’ seats; these come with special padding that works as a mattress topper to provide true comfort, while also using a high-density layer and thickened structured foam for “dynamic and postural comfort”, keeping passengers and the driver relaxed even after long journeys.

Tech features

On the dashboard, you’ll find a 12-inch high-definition touchscreen display for the infotainment system which also supports natural voice recognition, and features customizable screens with various widgets. The system is accompanied by four USB sockets, over-the-air updates, and a wireless smartphone charger.

The new Citroen C5 X also features an extended head-up display that features a full-color, large-scale projection onto the windscreen for a more immersive and relaxed driving experience, as drivers no longer need to take their eyes off the road as all the important information are always in line of sight.

In addition, the new flagship Citroen model features a long list of active safety systems, including Highway Driver Assist -a Level 2 driver-assistance system-, Blind Spot Detection and Rear Cross Traffic Alert, and Top 360 Vision Surround View Camera.

The new Citroen C5 X will go on sale in Europe in late 2021, with pricing details to be announced at a later date.[/quote]

2022-Citroen-C5X-06a.jpg

2022-Citroen-C5X-12.jpg

2022-Citroen-C5X-16.jpg

2022-Citroen-C5X-07.jpg

2022-Citroen-C5X-17.jpg

TripleT

Reaction score
Me and the PSA stylists are not friends. I want to welcome them into the brotherhood but they are just too unattractive.

I don't find a single line pleasing.

pumadog

Reaction score
This sort of crossovers between body styles seldomly appeals to me. I like Citroën's return to the fastback style, but why does it ride so high, why the plastic cladding? Why the ugly cut-off wheel arches (as featured on Peugeot 207 and BMW iX)? And then the strange face with no, uh, face. Is there a non-X C5 coming? I really like the simple style of the C3, but the latest bigger models are a mess.

TripleT

Reaction score
I wouldn't say I was in love with the C3 but a got it. This just seems to be hodge podge of styling languages just trying to set itself apart from looking like other PSA offering that a riding on same skate. Similar to how GM used to when it sold the same car across 5 different brands.

This is false economics to me. Make 1 or 2 good looking vehicles and divide them by market or size. This effort to make different cars that are the same is horrible.

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
Me and the PSA stylists are not friends. I want to welcome them into the brotherhood but they are just too unattractive.

I don't find a single line pleasing.

Some PSA products look good in my opinion. I like the interior of the C5X. The profile of the vehicle looks fine, the Cherokee-isic headlights I don't and the tail lights remind me of a Nissan.

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
Sorry, for creating this topic. I missed the news in the site since I directly bookmarked the forums.

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
I wouldn't say I was in love with the C3 but a got it. This just seems to be hodge podge of styling languages just trying to set itself apart from looking like other PSA offering that a riding on same skate. Similar to how GM used to when it sold the same car across 5 different brands.

This is false economics to me. Make 1 or 2 good looking vehicles and divide them by market or size. This effort to make different cars that are the same is horrible.
Yup, this is Citroen. They make weird stuff all the time. If this was from any other brand I would dislike it. But they've been doing weird stuff for decades, so it actually suits them.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
Some PSA products look good in my opinion. I like the interior of the C5X. The profile of the vehicle looks fine, the Cherokee-isic headlights I don't and the tail lights remind me of a Nissan.
Ralph and/or Jeep team was inspired by C4 Cactus when they did the Cherokee. Or at least Gilles has high admiration for C4 Cactus because at the time he drove one around the Auburn Hills. Not to mention that Ralph is Francophone.

Exterior looks odd but it's like that with Citröen line up. On the contrary for PSA barns interior is very orthodox which I like.

But what bothers me is level of mechanics for PSA engineered cars.
It's a midsize/D segment car yet it has not independent rear suspension. It doesn't have AWD not even eAWD.
For Europe in this class omission of diesel engine is a huge drawback. So far for the first three months of 2021 both Peugeot and Citröen have roughly 1/3 of diesels in their total sales.

TripleT

Reaction score
Yup, this is Citroen. They make weird stuff all the time. If this was from any other brand I would dislike it. But they've been doing weird stuff for decades, so it actually suits them.
I appreciate Citroen being quirky, I appreciate it. But not mixed with the Asian Crease Design language. Be Quirky French, leave the Japanese influence out.

AlexB

Reaction score
The interior looks cheap, too much tacky plastic........
Opel designs are better than legacy French side.

Users who are viewing this thread