Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New BMW 3 Series (G20)

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
I see to much Lexus design elements. But sideline is excellent as was on previous 3 Series (F30).

At the beginning all be made in Germany. And later for some markets including NAFTA they will be made in Mexico. And of course in China for Chinese market.

AFAIK there will be no manual option on gasoline engine. Just for 4 cylinder diesels.

Gasoline engines offered at the start of sales:
  • 320i has 184 HP at 5000-6500 rpm and 300 Nm (221 lb ft) of torque at 1350-4000 rpm, 0-100 km/h in 7.2 seconds
  • 330i has 258 HP at 5000-6500 rpm and 400 Nm (295 lb ft) of torque at 1550-4400 rpm, 0-100 km/h in 5.8 seconds
At the later date they will offer M340i xDrive with 3 liter 6 cylinder engine. It will have 374 HP with 500 Nm of torque. They promise a 0-100 km/h time of just 4.4 seconds.

Also a PHEV 330e will be offered.

Although BMW gasoline engines have a TwinPowerTurbo moniker they are not twin turbo. All of them including a 6 cylinder have a single twin-scroll turbo.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg11.png
12.png

Last edited:

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I usually don't like BMWs at all because I think their grille design is ugly and it's only getting uglier on their SUVs, but I like this car from every angle. Maybe because it does have some Lexus design but it's toned down a lot.

Cody's Car Conundrum

Reaction score
Not a big fan of this generation. There's nothing that's really terrible, I just feel there a few too many things going on in the design (specifically the front and side).

Jared B

Site editor
Staff member
Reaction score
Front end looks a little busy and I'm not a fan of the interior. I do like the side profile and rear end though. Personally I've never been able to get behind the 3 series and from the W204 series on having much preferred the Merc C class to the 3 series. I even put my money where my mouth is twice over on that comparison.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
More some reason, it looks less aggressive and more "old man's" car.

It could be... I must see it in person.

Front end looks a little busy and I'm not a fan of the interior.

I agree on front end. It lost all of elegance. It looks like they sought a more aggressive look and they failed.

For me interior is a nice. But I'm not fan of a virtual cockpit. And it looks like they have overdone with chrome.

I do like the side profile and rear end though.

I think that side was excellent on previous 3er and this one looks almost identical from the side. Classic RWD look and proportions.

Back is Lexus copy paste. It doesn't look like a BMW.

Personally I've never been able to get behind the 3 series and from the W204 series on having much preferred the Merc C class to the 3 series. I even put my money where my mouth is twice over on that comparison.

W204? AFAIK younger buyers switched to Merc only when W205 came out. Merc has an aura of a old people car.

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Front end looks a little busy and I'm not a fan of the interior. I do like the side profile and rear end though. Personally I've never been able to get behind the 3 series and from the W204 series on having much preferred the Merc C class to the 3 series. I even put my money where my mouth is twice over on that comparison.
The main thing I don’t like about modern Mercedes cars is the weird looking trunk and rear bumper. It’s like it’s too sloped or something and isn’t upright enough. Doesn’t look stout and powerful.

I’d still take a C63 though.

UN4GTBL

Reaction score
I couldn't figure out the design, until you mentioned Lexus style, and that makes sense.

Also, I think there may be a manual option, but it will be for a smaller engine, and only in Europe?

Jared B

Site editor
Staff member
Reaction score
It could be... I must see it in person.

I agree on front end. It lost all of elegance. It looks like they sought a more aggressive look and they failed.

For me interior is a nice. But I'm not fan of a virtual cockpit. And it looks like they have overdone with chrome.

I think that side was excellent on previous 3er and this one looks almost identical from the side. Classic RWD look and proportions.

Back is Lexus copy paste. It doesn't look like a BMW.

W204? AFAIK younger buyers switched to Merc only when W205 came out. Merc has an aura of a old people car.

I agree the year end does have a Lexus look to it. Funnily enough it's the only part of Lexus design language I like. I like the smoked and red tail lamps.

In always felt the same about Merc being an old persons car until I drove a C350 with the Sport package.

Plus 3 series where I live are a dime a dozen and lease out cheaper than a Ford Focus so you literally see them everywhere.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
In always felt the same about Merc being an old persons car until I drove a C350 with the Sport package.

And that's a difference between Europe and North America.
Here it's not enough to have a powerful engine. Excellent cornering and precise steering. It's not exactly what Mercedes knows how to do.

Jared B

Site editor
Staff member
Reaction score
The main thing I don’t like about modern Mercedes cars is the weird looking trunk and rear bumper. It’s like it’s too sloped or something and isn’t upright enough. Doesn’t look stout and powerful.

I’d still take a C63 though.

I agree the rear ends are a little soft and almost melted looking. I think the rest of the design and the interiors make up for it though. I'm not a huge fan of them going the Audi route and making all their vehicles look like they were just enlarged in a photo copier though.

I legitimately can barely tell the difference between a C and E class from a quick glance now.

MBCAN-2018-C-SEDAN-CAROUSEL-TOP-1-3-02-1410x675.jpg

77dafd789cc952064c16de04c017ca7e.jpg

nydn-2018-mercedes-benz-c300-sedan-amg-line-sport-gray-rear-quarter-left.jpg

2017-Mercedes-Benz-E-300-Sedan-B4_o.jpg

Cody's Car Conundrum

Reaction score
I now see what everyone's been saying about the very Lexus-"inspired" design in the back. I wouldn't be surprised if some mistook it for a new IS.

(I haven't looked at many pictures of the new 3-Series from the back).

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
it's a very lukewarm model... It looks good, but it is very derivative.
The end remembers Lexus a lot and the shape of the front headlights seems to draw inspiration from recent Peugeots.

And the interior is underwhelming, it looks completely boring. I was expecting something more from BMW, especially because they've been feeling the competition from Alfa Romeo (the Q has completely vulgarized their M models) and the Tesla Model 3.

KrisW

Reaction score
Outside isn't bad, although I think the headlamps are a step backwards from the previous edition. Side profile is really good, but that's always been the 3er's best angle.

I do not like the interior at all. Over-use of chrome: it's not just that too many parts are chromed, but also the chromed surfaces are too big. When it comes to brightwork, I believe "less is more", but this is just "more and more". It's excessive, but in the way a cheap watch is (Mercedes commits the same sin, and has seen sales increase, so I can see why BMW is running after them). I'm sure the materials are first-rate, but here the various parts of the dashboard and centre console seem to be thrown together with no thought for the whole picture.

Technically, the full-digital instruments are something that Alfa really must add to Giulia soon, but I'd take Giulia's clean, flowing interior design over this one any day.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
It looks like BMW is using the same interior supplier as Giulia and A4.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread