Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Meet The All-New Three-Row 2021 Jeep® Grand Cherokee L:

Meet The All-New Three-Row 2021 Jeep® Grand Cherokee L:​

The Fifth-Generation Grand Cherokee Is Here!​

1610386888092.png

Last edited by a moderator:

cgseller

Reaction score
Very interesting. Do I still need to get a Pacifica/Voyager if I need to haul plywood or drywall sheetrock?

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Very interesting. Do I still need to get a Pacifica/Voyager if I need to haul plywood or drywall sheetrock?
Probably. The upcoming wagoneer long wheel base version may have the width and length sufficient for 4x8 interior. But these vehicles are not intended for construction runabouts or to simulate an enclosed trailer. Get a cheap trailer (or rent one) and keep that crap out of the interior. If you are doing anything like that regularly, get a fullsize truck or one of the millions of used grand caravans out there.

TripleT

Reaction score
Good idea you might be able to pick up a used Caravan for under a grand to move stuff.

Mike201

Reaction score
It was 29 years ago today, that the Jeep® brand shook up the SUV segment with the introduction of the 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee (ZJ). Originally intended to be a replacement for the legendary Jeep Grand Wagoneer (SJ), the all-new ZJ was introduced to the media at the North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) in … (read full article...)
Very mixed on this!!! I have to say I love it! This has everything I would want in a 7 passenger Jeep! Where I think Jeep messed up is this may be a big seller and hurt the upcoming Grand Wagoneer. I think this will do what people wanted in the Wagoneer but this will be so much more affordable. Will people drop another 10 to 15K just to have the Wagoneer? Of course people with money won’t bat an eye, but those saving for the Wagoneer may decide to save or not finance the extra money. This new Grand Cherokee L is such the perfect SUV!! Hands down. As much as I like the idea of the Wagoneer, not sure I would spend the extra money for a few extra inches. Thats just me.

AlexB

Reaction score
Very mixed on this!!! I have to say I love it! This has everything I would want in a 7 passenger Jeep! Where I think Jeep messed up is this may be a big seller and hurt the upcoming Grand Wagoneer. I think this will do what people wanted in the Wagoneer but this will be so much more affordable. Will people drop another 10 to 15K just to have the Wagoneer? Of course people with money won’t bat an eye, but those saving for the Wagoneer may decide to save or not finance the extra money. This new Grand Cherokee L is such the perfect SUV!! Hands down. As much as I like the idea of the Wagoneer, not sure I would spend the extra money for a few extra inches. Thats just me.
I don’t think this will hurt Wagoner, take the Expedition and the Explorer, however the Jeep’s will be premium products.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm impressed. It's Giorgio in full glory.
The use of lightweight, high-strength aluminum closures, including the hood and tailgate, help reduce weight and boost fuel economy. The Jeep engineering team reduced weight by mounting the axle directly to the engine, along with a solid-mounted aluminum front cradle, aluminum engine mounts and steering gear, a magnesium cross-car beam, aluminum shock towers and an all-new electronic master brake booster system. To help meet weight, impact and to improve durability, the Grand Cherokee L body structure employs the latest grades of Generation 3 steel. The next-generation steel gave engineering and design teams the ability to cold stamp complex parts from higher strength materials, which was not possible in the past, creating a more robust and innovative body structure.

They did a lot to improve handling:
Jeep Grand Cherokee is widely known for its outstanding on-road driving dynamics and quietness, thanks in part to its front and rear independent suspension. For 2021, Grand Cherokee L employs a newly located front virtual ball joint to improve lateral control and a multi-link rear suspension that enables improvement in ride comfort and routine handling. An enhanced engine box with a shock-to-shock tower brace improves local lateral stiffness by 125 percent. A new variable-rate air spring suspension continuously adjusts stiffness to loading conditions to further compliment the vehicle’s legendary off-road capability. Premium manners are enhanced with approximately 6,500 welds in the body alone.
For the first time ever on Grand Cherokee, the front axle is bolted directly to the engine to allow for better management of noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) and superior driving dynamics thanks in part to its lower center of gravity. New active/electronic engine mounts absorb more vibration and movement when at idle, but stiffen at higher speeds to optimize ride glide. This is a new feature available on Grand Cherokee and offers a new level of comfort, versatility and performance. An enhanced active noise cancellation system, along with a double-dash body, door seals and acoustic glass round out the enhancements that bring NVH and wind noise down to a whisper.

MPE426HEMI

Reaction score
Looks great! They’ll sell. I’d wish they would have upgraded the drivetrains though. Reliable, but Meh fuel economy.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
It was 29 years ago today, that the Jeep® brand shook up the SUV segment with the introduction of the 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee (ZJ). Originally intended to be a replacement for the legendary Jeep Grand Wagoneer (SJ), the all-new ZJ was introduced to the media at the North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) in … (read full article...)
There is no single word about platform and materials used. IMO it's the most significant novelty.

Rustydodge

Reaction score

I was thinking about this as well. However Jeep wisely did not go for the largest 3row CUV in terms of dimensions. If you compare vs the new explorer for example the GCL is slightly under in a few areas. I think this was wise, and will keep some differentiation from the upcoming, larger bof Wagoneer (and possibly durango). The biggest difference from a customer feel and usability standpoint will likely be width.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
It is possible, from a marketing and branding standpoint, Jeep doesn't want average Joe American public to think of this as a modified street oriented Alfa Romeo or European platform.

In press release there is plenty of words for platform, materials used and what they've improved with emphasis on on-road behavior. My point wasn't about platform name or relation to Alfa Romeo.

Mopar Insiders article which was done by @redriderbob lacks that part.

TripleT

Reaction score
Presentation correctly use ARCHITECTURE... it most definitely is not on the same Platform the build points are closer to WK2 then they are the G. Even though the Stelvio was clearly the starting point of the development.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Average Joe and majority of marketing departments for any brand within Stellantis (if its anything like the marketing department where i work) don't know the difference b/w platform, architecture, or build points and dont care. My personal opinion is Jeep would rather not have this linked with the Stelvio by perception or otherwise.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
Presentation correctly use ARCHITECTURE... it most definitely is not on the same Platform the build points are closer to WK2 then they are the G. Even though the Stelvio was clearly the starting point of the development.

Are you sure that firewall including its position and suspension attachment points are not the same as on Giulia/Stelvio? If anything as Giulia/Stelvio that is. And from what I've heard this is true for former, not sure for latter.

TripleT

Reaction score
Average Joe and majority of marketing departments for any brand within Stellantis (if its anything like the marketing department where i work) don't know the difference b/w platform, architecture, or build points and dont care. My personal opinion is Jeep would rather not have this linked with the Stelvio by perception or otherwise.

You wouldn't want to be linked to best handling SUV in the world.... REALLY??? maybe not the electronic glitchiness that comes with a semi-exotic. Think maybe your inserting some personal bias in that one?

I pretty sure @Bili you will find the Stelvio build points are inbound of the WL, thing the definitions do matter to an Engineer. The design for sure has it roots and well it should from one of the best handling vehicles for sale, with Jeeps extensive knowledge of off road durability. At some point is like 2 set of Grand Parents arguing who the grand children look more like.... when the answer is neither and both. In the end the beauty of the FCA development process is you come up with something that is perfectly suited to the application.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
What could be better is powertrain choice. There is nothing new... Yet. Of course there will be additional engine options in the near future, a lots of turbos, a lots of hybrids.

And maybe infotainment screen size. Why not 12.1? Can they fit it in? I bet we will see it with MCA.

But this is nitpicking.

I have a feeling that we'll see BEV version with MCA.

All other is excellent. State of the art platform with lots of aluminium and magnesium. Lowered center of gravity due to engine positioning. This is lots of on-road biased improvements.
Finally there is AWD disconnect feature for fuel economy improvements. Air suspension is also improved with improved ground clearance, adaptive damping. It also has better approach angle than WK2, air suspension vs. air suspension.

Technology content is class leading. With Uconnect 5 they can finally show full navigation on 10.3" instrument panel and it can be run simultaneously on infotainment screen. VAG made this popular through Audi and must have for premium segment.
But the most impressive part will be inclusion of Advanced Level II ADAS. That's huge news.

Tony K

Reaction score
WS shares the DT Ram platform and will be assembled at Warren Truck. I wouldn't be super concerned as long as both it and Ram sell. As long as it recoups the investment, you can argue that it's the Jeep halo. Even if it doesn't recoup the investment, it has other benefits just being out there. Bigger question is will GCL rob from the GC, or do more conquests from outside Stellantis?

Users who are viewing this thread