Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jeep Gladiator?

Rustydodge

Reaction score
The gladiator name should surprise no one. It was the concept's name, after all. And they've been trying to align the chassis of the JT with the Ram 1500, so that kinda fits the historical gladiator as well.

Looks like a wrangler, chassis somewhere between a wrangler and ram. I think gladiator name fits.

Blown7

Reaction score
The Gladiator was true full size Jeep, naming a JL with a pickup bed with that moniker is a little misleading.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
It is only misleading if you'd expect a vehicle built in 2020 to be exactly the same as a vehicle built 40 years ago. General public probably doesn't even know there used to be a jeep gladiator. Jeep probably will never build a "true full size" again because of Ram. I have no problems with Jeep choosing the gladiator name.

58DodgeTruck

Reaction score
I would have liked to seen it named the Comanche instead to be honest, but I like the Gladiator better than the Scrambler name. It gives it a strong / tough name at least.

Muther

Reaction score
I would have liked to seen it named the Comanche instead to be honest, but I like the Gladiator better than the Scrambler name. It gives it a strong / tough name at least.
Comanche would work better for a steel topped Wrangler...

Just saying...

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Huge fan of the Gladiator name. I didn't like Scrambler or Comanche.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
IMO Scrambler would be the best name. It fits perfectly.

Gladiator? I prefer it the least.

For Europe a higher payload capacity is desirable. But than... I'm hoping that a metric ton pick-up is in the works for Europe. The one which will under Fiat Professional brand in Europe and as a Ram in some other.

TripleT

Reaction score
The Gladiator was true full size Jeep, naming a JL with a pickup bed with that moniker is a little misleading.

Aren't we a ray of sunshine...... First off it not just a JL with a Bed. Second, the last time Gladiator name was used was on a concept that mimics this production vehicle.

3rd don't put so much weight to a chromed plastic.

TripleT

Reaction score
IMO Scrambler would be the best name. It fits perfectly.

Gladiator? I prefer it the least.

For Europe a higher payload capacity is desirable. But than... I'm hoping that a metric ton pick-up is in the works for Europe. The one which will under Fiat Professional brand in Europe and as a Ram in some other.

You realize that capacity and off road capability are at odds, A metric ton pickup should be that for hauling a metric ton, this vehicle is intended to take a reasonable load anywhere on the planet. I suppose someone could after market a spring and Shock package that would do that but why.

Muther

Reaction score
Also, there is a big, big, big reason why this vehicle has a separate cab and bed.

It will immediately start heading for uofitters and start getting custom beds. I rudder you to the many concepts, and variations, that we have seen at the EJS and at shows over the last few years.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
You realize that capacity and off road capability are at odds, A metric ton pickup should be that for hauling a metric ton, this vehicle is intended to take a reasonable load anywhere on the planet. I suppose someone could after market a spring and Shock package that would do that but why.

Which is why i'm so impressed/surprised by the "class leading" towing and payload numbers listed in the leak for gasoline 4x4 midsized. A base model gladiator will be the most capable offroad in its class while having among the highest towing and payload ratings. Add to that the open - air features, this is really an engineering marvel.

Last edited:

MoparJoe

Reaction score
They will sell like hotcakes. Won't be able to make enough of them for the 1st 2-3 years ....
PT cruiser all over again ...

58DodgeTruck

Reaction score
They will sell like hotcakes. Won't be able to make enough of them for the 1st 2-3 years ....
PT cruiser all over again ...

I think it will sell like hotcakes initially as well... while I do not think it will be evaluated the same as the PT in hind sight though. The PT now is looked on as a joke to the outside world, frequently ranking on the same lists as the Pontiac Aztec... while it was not near as bad as history is portraying it (Diamlers penny pinching really killed it) it in in most circles portrayed as a vehicle that should not have been built. The Scrambler will sell really well initially, then level off I think. But like the Iconic Wrangler it will have a loyal following that will keep it going for years to come I suspect, especially if it has offroad capability.

Users who are viewing this thread