Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jeep Cherokee Updates

patfromigh

Reaction score
Somebody in the Jeep division of Stellantis must have noticed some of our conversations about the Jeep Cherokee. The lower level trims are now gone, as well as the 2.4 Tigershark four which had powered those fleet queens. We now have a Cherokee X as the starting point. There is an excellent Mopar Insiders article on the new X trim, but comments weren't enabled on that post. That is why I'm starting this thread. The X model's 3.2 V6 is very close in fuel economy to what the 2.4 was getting, so I don't think it will hurt the fleet average. The X has only one drivetrain, V6, 9-speed automatic and AWD. The other trims offer the 2.0 liter GME turbo as well, but now the off-road focused two-speed Active-Drive II system is restricted to only the Trail Hawk. The Trail Hawk, BTW, also has one drivetrain only.

The Cherokee X has my attention. My Avenger is is ten years old and I don't know if it will still be reliable by the time some hybrid models become available in North America. The Challenger with AWD is also about the same price and fuel economy, but the Cherokee doesn't attract undue attention. There is a supposed to be a new generation Cherokee on the way, but by the time it gets here and the first year bugs have been worked out, I'll probably be past the average age of male life expectancy.

Although this thread is about the 2022 Jeep Cherokee, fell free to voice any thoughts and wishes for the next generation model. I'm encouraged by how focused the lineup has become. It bodes well for the future.

UN4GTBL

Reaction score
This is a good move IMO. The 2.4 wasn't really any benefit to the Cherokee, and now that the Compass is a very nice vehicle, you are better off going for it if you really want it and/or a budget priced vehicle and/or a NA 4 cylinder.

The X is an interesting assortment of parts. Trailhawk rear bumper, black rear tow hook, Trailhawk wheels and tires, Trailhawk fender flares, modified hood decal, but then it has the non-Trailhawk front bumper without tow hooks.

It almost seems like a combo of the Upland trim and the Altitude trims.

The fuel economy with the 3.2 that I get is bang on with the estimates, and that's on regular fuel, which I was glad for with the recent price spikes.

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
They should've taken the 2.4 to the farm upstate when the refresh was launched. It didn't make sense to keep it then.
When was it supposed to be replaced by a new model? 2023?

Last edited:

patfromigh

Reaction score
The Cherokee X trim is just now starting to hit the dealers. I'm tempted, because I'm tired of waiting for a hybrid that I can afford. My Avenger is over 10 years old, although it feels better than the two year old Camrys we have at work, This might be my last opportunity to purchase a brand new vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread