Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jeep® Introduces New 4xe Charging Network For The United States:

Jeep® Introduces New 4xe Charging Network For The United States:​

Three Stations Will Kick Off Launch!​

The-Jeep®-brand-is-creating-the-Jeep-4xe-Charging-Network.-Jeep-1.jpg

Earlier today, the Jeep® brand unveiled its new Jeep-branded 4xe Charging Network for its new electrified lineup. In partnership with Electrify America, the new electric vehicle (EV) charging stations will be installed at or near the trailheads of Jeep Badge of Honor off-road trails over the next year, allowing owners to take full advantage of … (read full article...)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Introducing a charging network before releasing a lineup of fully-electric vehicles?

Other brands should take note. This is how you do it.

cygnus

Reaction score
I saw that. Is charging a 17 KWH battery in two hours @ 240V normal?

patfromigh

Reaction score
Sounds right to me. Level 2 charging is not fast charging. That's what the Fiat 500e compliance car was only capable of in 2013. That compliance car took something like 8 hours to charge at 240V for its 80 mile range.

The Wrangler 4Xe battery only range is only 22 miles, which today is quite low for a PHEV. What is now considered acceptable for battery range today is 50 km (31 miles) for a PHEV and at least 300 km (186 miles) for a full battery electric. The Wrangler has a brick shape, off-road tires, and runs power through two traditional drive axles in a full frame. It is not a Chevy Volt, but will be OK for journeys into low emissions zones. One would not want to take a Chevy Volt off road, on the other hand.

I posted these videos in another thread at the bottom of page one.
One of the topics discussed, with graphs, is the cost benefits of hybrid and electric power-trains. It boils down to this, "More Batteries = Higher Cost + Lower CO2" & "Less Batteries = Lower Cost + Higher CO2."

If a person has a garage or private driveway, they can set up their own level 2 (240V) charging station at home. Is it worth it for 22 miles of electric only range?

I forgot to mention the Wrangler 4Xe uses the ZF hybrid transmission, that is why the videos are relevant. The Wrangler is also the last production vehicle to use this generation of ZF hybrid transmission. There is a new generation coming soon.

Last edited:

patfromigh

Reaction score
My suspicion is that the choice of going to an inline six design was particularly because of electrification. The inline engine allows for better packaging of e-boosters, belt-stater-generators, and other components which become very difficult to connect together on a V6.

My wish is that Stellantis will build on their relationship with ZF and select the ZF CeTrax Lite electric-motor, planetary gear-set system for a production Jeep Wrangler Magneto. I was surprised by the Magneto concept using a 6-speed manual with a two speed transfer case. I would think a Rock-Trac transfer case should be enough. I'm not sure about that electric motor the Magneto uses. Do they really need to reinvent the wheel for trail use?

A further wish is plugin Hemi-hybrid powertrains for the whole range of Ram trucks from 1500 to 5500. On this last point ZF hasn't yet made a decision on whether to offer either 48V or high voltage hybrid options for their HD PowerLine 8-speed transmission. Perhaps the new push for more electrification with US government fleet vehicle purchases will sway that decision. I would hate for the CDJR brands to be also-rans for fleet sales.

Users who are viewing this thread