Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jean-Pierre Ploué, Stellantis Chief Design Officer* will lead LANCIA design

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score

Jean-Pierre Ploué, Stellantis Chief Design Officer* will lead LANCIA design​

Jean-Pierre Ploué, Stellantis Chief Design Officer* will lead LANCIA design

Jean-Pierre Ploué, Stellantis Chief Design Officer, will personally supervise LANCIA Design from Torino Centro Stile and declares: ‘’LANCIA renaissance is a truly exciting challenge. LANCIA is an iconic brand, which will be restored to its central historical position in Europe, leveraging on its huge potential.’’

Jean-Pierre Ploué will count on a lean and focused team, rallied around young talented designers.

Luca Napolitano, LANCIA Chief Executive Officer commented ‘’I want to welcome Jean-Pierre Ploué. I am very honored we can leverage on such a diverse team of professionals to work together for the success of LANCIA”.

*for the Abarth, Alfa Romeo, Citroën, DS Automobiles, Fiat Europe, Lancia, Opel, Peugeot and Vauxhall brands.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
Lancia together with DS should cease to exist, JMO. Fortunately I share with a lof of FCA fans.

Alfa should be paired with Maserati for D-segment up.

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
Lancia together with DS should cease to exist, JMO. Fortunately I share with a lof of FCA fans.

I agree. I just don't understand why they don't rebody the new 500 for Lancia.

ScramFan

Reaction score

I think you are probably right, but it's interesting to me that they are choosing to try this.

I wonder if this is an attempt to take back some market share from the Germans, and Audi in particular, in France and especially in Italy with more nationalistic premium branding.

So let France have their own premium alternative, let Italy have their own premium alternative, etc.

I mean, if it doesn't cost too much extra, and allows them to fill factory capacity, it might lead to a more profitable group overall.

I have no idea if it will work, but I am very intrigued by this approach.

Last edited:

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
AFAIK Lancia has at least 2 new SUVs green lit.

One is a C-segment SUV. It should be produced in Melfi together with the next gen Jeep Compass, Opel Grandland and DS 7 Crossback. No mention of Alfa or Fiat new model for Melfi.

Platform in question is STLA Medium.

The other is Lancia D-segment SUV. I know nothing about it.

@ScramFan
But at least Italians already have a premium brand in Alfa Romeo. Lancia would be 2nd premium brand for them.

ScramFan

Reaction score
AFAIK Lancia has at least 2 new SUVs green lit.

One is a C-segment SUV. It should be produced in Melfi together with the next gen Jeep Compass, Opel Grandland and DS 7 Crossback. No mention of Alfa or Fiat new model for Melfi.

Platform in question is STLA Medium.

The other is Lancia D-segment SUV. I know nothing about it.

@ScramFan
But at least Italians already have a premium brand in Alfa Romeo. Lancia would be 2nd premium brand for them.

True, but I thought Lancia and Alfa target very different customers.

Who knows if it will work, but I would love to see them pull it off and be successful.

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
I don't believe in a Lancia resurgence because of the lack of a solid dealership network in Europe.
And with which brand will they share floor space?

If they manage to overcome that, it might find its niche. If DS is finding its niche, then Lancia could as well. But I don't think they offer anything between Peugeot, DS, Opel, Alfa, Fiat...
Ofcourse I would love to see a new Delta and a ressurection of cool 80s/90s Lancia models.

AlfaCuda

Reaction score
I think it can work with the right products and of course good marketing. I think the Lancia name is so much stronger than DS, Peugeot or Opel. I mean what’s DS? It’s nothing…..

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
In the current market, outside of Italy Lancia means nothing to most people. Peugeot and Opel are trendy right now.
DS I'm impressed by what they achieve because to me they also mean nothing. So I am impressed that they are seemingly capable of building a premium brand from almost nothing.

TripleT

Reaction score
easy job... see my latest Lancia design below.

.^ nice?

Last edited:

ScramFan

Reaction score
In the current market, outside of Italy Lancia means nothing to most people. Peugeot and Opel are trendy right now.
DS I'm impressed by what they achieve because to me they also mean nothing. So I am impressed that they are seemingly capable of building a premium brand from almost nothing.

But the key words you said are "outside of Italy."

I wonder if they'll focus on building Lancia back up within Italy, not outside.

I know Italy is not a large market, but many people in Italy look to the Germans for premium. If they could be offered homegrown alternatives, you could win some of that market share back - hopefully at not a large cost.

Same thing with DS in France, although my understanding is that France already tends to be more provincial than Italy when it comes to their brands.

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
The main issue is that the so called "premium" brands sell mostly to fleets here in Europe. And the biggest fleet markets are Germany and the UK.
Focusing on building Lancia back up for me does not make sense whatsoever because of this.

ScramFan

Reaction score
The main issue is that the so called "premium" brands sell mostly to fleets here in Europe. And the biggest fleet markets are Germany and the UK.
Focusing on building Lancia back up for me does not make sense whatsoever because of this.

I just know from my experience, however anecdotal, that I see a lot of Audis in Italy, and hear people there speak of them as having a higher status.

Personally, being from the US, I have never found Audi to be an aspirational brand, with a few notable exceptions. Generally, I've viewed them as not much more than a tarted up, overpriced Volkswagen.

TripleT

Reaction score
I just know from my experience, however anecdotal, that I see a lot of Audis in Italy, and hear people there speak of them as having a higher status.

Personally, being from the US, I have never found Audi to be an aspirational brand, with a few notable exceptions. Generally, I've viewed them as not much more than a tarted up, overpriced Volkswagen.

This is a true statement for our International members. "Tarted up VW" is a very good description of NA attitude.

Last edited:

Deckard Cain

Reaction score

That's about right. If Italy is like Portugal there are a lot of VW/Audi fanboys that aspire to have cars from those brands.
I don't understand it really.

Users who are viewing this thread