Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the electric Fiat 500 the queen of charging? Here is the test

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
km / min average in DC by InsideEVs
Model
[source]
Drive /
Battery
(kWh)
Power
medium
(20-80%)
Autonomy
earned
estimated
(20-80%)
Electric Fiat 500 (42 kWh) of 2021
[Fastned]
FWD
42 kWh
63 kW9 km / min
2019 Renault ZOE ZE 50
[Fastned]
FWD
55 kWh
35 kW4.4 km / min
2020 Peugeot e-208
[Fastned]
FWD
50 kWh
53 kW6.7 km / min
BMW i3 (42 kWh) from 2019
[Fastned]
RWD
42.2 kWh
47 kW6.4 km / min
2020 MINI Cooper SE
[Fastned]
FWD
32.6 kWh
45 kW6.1 km / min
Volkswagen e-Up! 2020
[Fastned]
FWD
36.8 kWh
29 kW

Conclusions​

At the end of all these surveys, it turns out that the electric Fiat 500 was designed with great attention to the characteristics of the recharge. The ratio between the size of the battery and the maximum power in DC is excellent, the average speed is excellent and the charging curve is excellent.
There is only sudden braking when you reach about 85%, but it is not an insurmountable problem considering the "city" nature of the car and the declared autonomy of 320 km. Also because, we remind you, to preserve battery efficiency for as long as possible it would be better not to exceed this threshold .

Whole article at: Fiat 500 elettrica è la citycar regina della ricarica? Ecco il test

TripleT

Reaction score
I really hope that is offered in NA.... My youngest is watching for it, and she has a friend(in her 60s) that regrets trading hers in for X, that would buy one also.

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
They look much better. Like a true mini premium car now. It would be a nice second vehicle for quick trips around town.

Appassito

Reaction score
3bcbe74e832577a95d0d7387bfd63db284a90d1e.jpeg

The New Fiat 500 features in the Shop & Charge project, promoted by the Fiat brand, Carrefour Italia and Be Charge and coordinated by the Stellantis e-Mobility Business Unit.

Agreed to in December 2020, the project can now witness the activation of the first 60 charging points in Piedmont, Lombardy, Veneto and Tuscany, with the scheme due to be extended to the 135 Carrefour retail outlets participating in the initiative.

The three partner companies’ commitment to sustainability is being put into action in a straightforward but effective scheme, aimed at improving the experience of electric vehicle customers seeking practical, efficient charging solutions.

Advantageous charging in the time it takes to do the shopping
The partnership with Carrefour – the creator of the “Shop & Charge” project – gives New 500 customers the opportunity to charge their car in the time it takes to do the shopping. In the 30 minutes it takes to do the food shopping on average, the New 500’s battery can be charged up enough to travel up to 300 km using the Fast charge points, or up to 50 km by connecting to the Quick points. Be Charge has installed both of these types of charge points in the parking lots of the Carrefour retail outlets participating in the initiative.
New 500 customers will also have access to discounted charging rates, and more besides. Indeed, dedicated offers will be available to them as part of the PAYBACK scheme, such as discounts on shopping at Carrefour and points accelerators to claim the rewards in the PAYBACK catalog more quickly. Again for New 500 customers only, the loyalty card and the PAYBACK app will offer exclusive discounts on the Click & Collect service, Carrefour’s priority lane to pick up orders made online, and on home delivery.

The involvement of the Fiat sales network
For the launch of the partnership, the Carrefour retail outlets taking part in the initiative will take on a New 500 theme, with communications focused on Fiat’s first full-electric car. Fiat brand dealers who have signed up to the initiative will also maintain a presence at these retail outlets, offering test drives to Carrefour customers so they can discover the driving pleasure and technological solutions of the New 500.

Shop & Charge, for a new sustainability
Agreed to in December 2020 as part of its e-Mobility Business Unit’s strategic plan, Stellantis intends to use this agreement to foster sustainable habits in customers who decide to drive an electric car. Naturally, the project – designed for the New 500 – lends itself to potential expansion to vehicles in the Group’s electrified line-up and to other countries covered by the network of Carrefour stores.
For Carrefour Italia, the project represents a further step forward in the implementation of its ‘Act for Food’ environmental sustainability strategy, demonstrating their awareness of their important role as one of the major retail players that can promote sustainability throughout its supply chain.
For Be Charge, the project represents the ideal collaboration between the automotive world, the organized retail sector and charging operators. Together they can speed up the transition to electric mobility plus offer tangible benefits for customers.

Stellantis - Turin, July 14th, 2021

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
Would love to see a comparison long-distance trip (around 1000km) between the 500e, the Zoe and the e208 to see who would reach their destination soonest.

ChargerFan1

Reaction score
The Abarth will be interesting but I dont know why they are waiting until 2024 to show it

pumadog

Reaction score
I guess they have to wait for another battery to offer enough range for more sporty = energy consuming driving. And battery prices coming down so a tiny Abarth doesn't cost 50k €.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
2024 for Abarth? Who said it?

Abarth was planned much sooner.

patfromigh

Reaction score
I have two fears with the new Fiat 500e. The first is that it won't be sold in the US at all. The second alternative fear is it will be offered, but then be marketed like the 500X. The X in America is only available with the most expensive trims with AWD. We see the sales results. It is easy for me to get on the Fiat UK website and go over the trims and options for the new 500. I have found a few models I wouldn't mind having. I suspect there are more people besides me on this side of the Atlantic that would like a city car that isn't trying to be a mini Tesla. I want a car I can drive, and not simply experience "human mechanical interface".

The battery electric power makes a lot of sense in a city car. I just hope the people pushing the technology in my region wake up and realize many of us live in apartments and need state of the art vehicle charging available nearby.

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
I have two fears with the new Fiat 500e. The first is that it won't be sold in the US at all. The second alternative fear is it will be offered, but then be marketed like the 500X. The X in America is only available with the most expensive trims with AWD. We see the sales results. It is easy for me to get on the Fiat UK website and go over the trims and options for the new 500. I have found a few models I wouldn't mind having. I suspect there are more people besides me on this side of the Atlantic that would like a city car that isn't trying to be a mini Tesla. I want a car I can drive, and not simply experience "human mechanical interface".

The battery electric power makes a lot of sense in a city car. I just hope the people pushing the technology in my region wake up and realize many of us live in apartments and need state of the art vehicle charging available nearby.
I have a lot of doubts about Fiat's future in the US. If it continues I think the 500e is essential for the future of the brand. However, the cheaper versions of the 500e in Europe offer only a 24kWh battery pack. Considering that americans drive longer distances than people in Europe I don't think the cheaper models would fare well over there.

I don't know what's the commercial policy of the 500X in the US, but I confess that I expected a better sales performance from it than what it had. It is a great B-SUV (just like the Renegade is) and it sells well in Europe.

patfromigh

Reaction score
The only 500e trim with the smaller battery pack is the Action 3 door hatchback. This trim also has a smaller motor and charges at 50kw. The Action interior has a smart phone cradle instead of a touchscreen and 15 inch steel wheels. I think there is a segment of buyers in America who would go for this trim. The only change I would make would be putting in the larger battery pack. The Passion trim is the base trim on the 3+1 and the next one up on the 3 door hatchback. The Passion trim has the larger battery and motor combo. I think that would also be popular here.

The trick to selling the Americans the cheapest trim (Action) would first of all give it the larger battery pack for North America. The next thing is tell the potential buyers they can't have one. Fiat could say it is for fleets only. The model code could be accidentally splashed all over the internet with instructions on how to order one.

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
It's cool to know that there's still some americans that haven't given up on Fiat. :)

patfromigh

Reaction score
Here is some more information on the new 500. It uses a GKN combination motor and drive unit.

Forgive me if this was previously discussed on the Mopar Insiders forums. I don't know if Fiat just purchases the parts for installation or if they are built in house under license.

Here is a technology concept GKN built a few years ago. This is the kind of EV technology I would like to find in an Abarth 500e. Would this larger drive line fit in the new 500? The proof of concept demonstrator is a front-drive Jeep Renegade. This doesn't mean anything like it will enter production as a Jeep.

KrisW

Reaction score
500e would sell in some metropolitan areas in the USA, just as 500 did, and because there’s no USA-only factory that needs to be kept running, and no emissions re-engineering, the break-even point is lower. I think it’s a chance worth taking. Another point in the new 500e’s favor is that, as a high-tech BEV it is much more aligned with the American buyer’s idea of “premium car” than the gasoline 500 was. I could see it selling well in multi-car households as a city runabout.

If FIAT goes ahead with the rumored 5-door version, I think the chances of a US launch increase. But, as things stand, the installed capacity at the Mirafiori plant is already filled with the three existing variants; that kind of market performance usually discourages manufacturers from introducing a new model.

The focus on EV infrastructure in the USA is currently on fast-charging for long-distance travel (largely because Tesla has pushed the idea that long-range driving is an essential feature for any kind of EV), but the suburban EV user would be better served if, for example, 10% of the parking spots outside every supermarket had 220 V charging posts, where you could charge your car (for a fair price) while doing the food-shop. These would be relatively slow chargers (7kW max), but if you consider the time spent in store could be up to an hour, then it is still of benefit: in an hour, a Level 2 220 V charger would have restored 6~7 kWh onto the battery, which is enough for around 40 miles of mixed driving - more than the distance travelled to the store and back (remember I’m talking about suburban and city-dwelling users). This, in addition to having overnight charging at home, would make EVs more convenient than gas cars as a second car in a household, especially when you consider the much lower maintenance requirements.

It‘s only a matter of time before residential complexes with parking start offering overnight charging facilities too (not free charging, mind you - giving something for free just causes some people to hog the resource), and that really removes most of the range anxiety for short-hop commuter drivers, who drive a lot less than 50 miles a day on average.

patfromigh

Reaction score
The US Dept. of Energy sponsored a project for natural gas fueling stations last decade. This was mostly aimed at tractor-trailer vehicles using CNG fuel. There wasn't any extravagant spending or any harsh mandates involved. It was just CNG pumps along a few specific corridors operated by traditional businesses. (truck stops, convenience stores, large gas stations, etc) The program was successful beyond everyone's expectations. The project broke the stalemate of the fuel companies reluctant to build refueling stations because there wasn't enough NG vehicles on the road and truck buyers unwilling to buy a NG fueled vehicle because there were so few refueling stations. Without any more Energy Dept. involvement, other refueling corridors were built by private businesses because of the increase in natural gas fueled vehicles. The corridors have since spread beyond the interstate highways.

I bring this up not to advocate for natural gas vehicles, but to show how refueling infrastructure encourages people to buy into a technology. I would like to see 50 kwh DC charging stations at convenience stores around my area. We have some Level 2 AC charging stations around here, but not where it's handy, or safe at night. Established habits are hard to break, many people in the USA buy fuel at convenience stores.

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
Hopefully Tesla opening their Supercharger network to cars from other brands will trigger wider EV adoption then. :)

ChargerFan1

Reaction score
Hopefully Tesla opening their Supercharger network to cars from other brands will trigger wider EV adoption then. :)
All charge stations will be mandated to accept any vehicle pretty soon IMO. They'll simply have to. Imagine being almost out of juice and all you can find is VW or Tesla chargers :unsure:

patfromigh

Reaction score
There are only 3 different connectors in North America, Tesla the SAE standard one that the EU has also adopted, and the Japanese ChaDeMo. VW is on the SAE standard and is open to everyone.

I have to correct my post. The SAE standard is is CCS. Here is a definition of CCS from the Electrify America website. (electricfyamerica.com) This is the network being built up with the fines from the VW diesel settlement, by the way.

CCS (Combined Charging System)

CCS is a direct current (DC) fast charging protocol that is Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) certified, and is featured on vehicles produced by European and American car companies. The “combined” term in the CCS name designates its capability to incorporate the Level 2 (J1772™ standard) plug and DC fast charging connector into the same larger plug. The CCS plug nozzle is also commonly referred to as a “Combo plug.” You’ll have to find out from your car’s manufacturer whether your vehicle is compatible with a CCS or CHAdeMO plug. All Electrify America stations offer both CCS and CHAdeMO connectors.

The Tesla Supercharger network seems to be North America only. Tesla products sold in the EU have CCS plugs and connectors. Because of the dominance of the SAE standard by European automakers, CCS gained a head start. I have no idea about what Tesla is doing in Asia. China has a different standard then everyone else.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread