Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hurricane for RAM and GC

twistedroad

Reaction score
Need to make some vehicle choices soon. Get a 2023 RAM 1500 with 5.7 or wait for Hurricane, late '23 or '24? Also looking for mid size SUV like GC 2 row but again don't want 4 cyl. Since the Hurricane is already in the Wagoneer a little frustrating that no news for the engine in the pickups or GC. Does anyone know anything further on this? Want to stay with the brand but getting harder not knowing how long I'll need to wait. Give us a crumb Stellantis.

TripleT

Reaction score
Those builds should be just months away, Maybe August?

Mopar392

Reaction score
No spyshots or scooping yet?
So it wouldn’t be significant?

cygnus

Reaction score
Ram will get it way before Grand Cherokee. Grand Cherokee probably won’t get it until its Mid Cycle Refresh in calendar 2025 / 2026 Model Year.

twistedroad

Reaction score
Interesting. You'd think with Hurricane in the Wagoneer it would be an easy shift to the GC but I'll take the RAM idea.

TripleT

Reaction score
No spyshots or scooping yet?
So it wouldn’t be significant?
How would you know your looking at a Hurricane Mule over a normal model? They are running around in plain sight.... and unless its a CAT3 the only difference would be the premium fuel sticker in side the fill cover, and on GC the 4xe has that also.

Mopar392

Reaction score
With a refresh and facelift, they would have at least change the grill and front bumper, if we are expecting the minimum.

TripleT

Reaction score
With a refresh and facelift, they would have at least change the grill and front bumper, if we are expecting the minimum.
They can launch that nearly without showing a bit of it in public,

cygnus

Reaction score
How would you know your looking at a Hurricane Mule over a normal model? They are running around in plain sight.... and unless its a CAT3 the only difference would be the premium fuel sticker in side the fill cover, and on GC the 4xe has that also.

If they were running around metro Detroit, they would have emergency push button shutdown buttons sitting on the front dash (large red button - you would know it when you see it, its used across the industry). There are no Grand Cherokee camoed vehicles running around Detroit, other than the ones that Delphi/Aptv (in Troy) have, but those are vehicles that Aptiv is testing in house.

People were saying the same thing about powertrain mules for the (late) next generation Charger/Challenger back in 2018/2019, hoping they would come up in 2021. That obviously that never happened. hUrr DuRR, thEy'RE tEStInG tHe nEW ChaLlEnGeR. Yeah, right.

The simpler explanation is that Grand Cherokees with the 3L don't exist outside of labs at CTC. To do an out of band powertrain add before an MCA is not going to happen.

Last edited:

twistedroad

Reaction score
If true for the RAM 1500 then they would have to continue with the 5.7 vs intro of the 3L for 2024. If little body change then a 2023 might be a cheaper alternative as they will want to sell those off first.

cygnus

Reaction score
For the 1500 - they may axe the 5.7 and replace it with 3L, and if you want a V8, you’re going to have to pay a lot more (6.4L only).

Remember this when they gaslight the public and tell you the V8 isn’t economically feasible because of emissions. They are all lying - they could easily do a 5.7 mild hybrid eTorque 2.0, the new generation ZF transmissions for it are literally coming off the line now for the 2024 BMW X5, which starts production in April.

As usual, STLA is LATE. What are all the people in CTC doing? Designing stupid EVs.

It’s always been Elkann and Tavares. Just remember those two names in the years to come and juxtapose them against the declining sales / increasing ASP charts.

It’s all gravy until it isn’t.

twistedroad

Reaction score
Maybe I misread but they do have the eTorque now for the 5.7. I drove one and very similar to my 2015 5.7, maybe slight increase in mileage. So they could keep that a little longer into '24 while introducing the Hurricane. I'm just trying to time a purchase and waiting to see the plans for the RAM and the GC. Guess I'll find out next couple of months. And yes, also looking at the X5, all '24 info has been released.

cygnus

Reaction score
Yes the current eTorque for the 1500 is a mild hybrid option when the current generation (DT) Ram entered production for the 2019MY (calendar 2018). The first generation eTorque can yield a successor with a next generation (eTorque 2.0), using the new ZF transmission that has just entered production now.

Or they skip offering a next generation eTorque altogether.

All will be revealed in six months or so.

bill burke

Reaction score
Wow, this tread is a bit confusing, I thought the Hurricane would turn up in Challengers, Chargers, Chrysler’s and Jeeps in 2024. What am I missing?

cygnus

Reaction score
Next generation Charger - Calendar 2024 (hopefully?) - yes it will have the I6
Ram 1500 - start of Production is November 2023, I think, so deliveries in 2024 - yes it will have the I6
Refreshed Wrangler / Gladiator - TBD but probably yes, late Calendar 2024 or 2025
Grand Cherokee - last of the bunch to get it, calendar 2025 or 2026.

It’s coming, but much later than what people want. It only happens during MCAs. It should have the mild hybrid if STLA wants to be competitive, but who knows. They can’t even get the stuff out the door on time.

James.A

Reaction score
I certainly hope that the next Charger is coming later this year as a 24'. How much time do they need? They've had a decade. If it doesn't come this year I'm done with the company. I've been holding out since 2019 for a refresh that never came and then 2021 for the update that never came then. All the while, a 36k RT has gone up to 41k with no updates to justify the increase. And now, no more Hemi - the reward we get for waiting. I'm fed up, I'd rather buy Mustang at this point. Time for Dodge to put up and as cool as the Banshee looks, I'm not interested in an EV.

cygnus

Reaction score
the next L car is 100% not being sold in calendar 2023.

Calendar 2024, if we’re lucky.

Users who are viewing this thread