Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GM Loses Money On Every 2020 Corvette Under $80,000

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score

2020-chevy-corvette-stingray-coupe-most-expensive-version.jpg

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if they are losing money on every new Corvette.

GasAxe

Reaction score
Realistically, I’m sure the sales of the over $80k+ models will more than make up the losses from any base models sold. The low MSRP for the initial base model has been an excellent marketing tool. GM seems to actually have a solid strategy in place for selling the C8.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
Gearbox alone could be worth more than 10k.

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
I still think they alienated the Vette from being the obtainable American dream car for a lot of potential buyers with the C8.

mopar22

Reaction score
I think they're whole idea of obtainable dream car was thrown out with the c8. I've been saying since it was released that the low msrp was to look good on paper but will go up ove rtime

GasAxe

Reaction score
I still think they alienated the Vette from being the obtainable American dream car for a lot of potential buyers with the C8.
The Viper was an affordable dream car once too. Times change and for some vehicles, they simply die while others adapt to survive. I wonder how long the Wrangler would’ve survived without introducing the Unlimited model?

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
The Viper was an affordable dream car once too. Times change and for some vehicles, they simply die while others adapt to survive. I wonder how long the Wrangler would’ve survived without introducing the Unlimited model?

But the Corvette was far from dying.

GasAxe

Reaction score
But the Corvette was far from dying.
True but again, like the Viper, how many generations can it go before technology/regulation/market/etc. turns the tables and suddenly the business case goes from a no brainer to a 50/50 proposition to a hard sell. The Corvette has the unlikely history of mid-engine design attempts GM could capitalize on when the classic front engine design hit a wall with advancement. Going back to my Wrangler example, the TJ was very successful plus it had a quirky sub-model that proved popular. Jeep didn’t have to go all in with the Unlimited model, but it was an amazing boost to the Wrangler brand. We’ll have to see if the Corvette brand will get a similar boost with the Camaro holding the traditional FR vehicle design.

Sickboy

Reaction score
As far as the corvette being far from dying, what was the average age of buyers? I think I heard 61. While that’s not too old for a premium car, I’d say it is for a sports car. Once a car becomes a grandpa mobile, it’s not cool to kids, and they won’t look to buy one when the get the means.

Users who are viewing this thread