Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ford unveils 2020 Police Interceptor Utility

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
Ford has released photos and information for the new Police Interceptor Utility, or the police cruiser version of the upcoming 2020 Explorer. In a way, these images provide the first official look into the new Explorer, as well as showing off the police variant's features.

1546876552279.png

The 2020 Police Interceptor Utility comes standard with a 3.3-liter hybrid, all-wheel-drive powertrain. The optional engines are the 3.0-liter EcoBoost and the 3.3-liter, non-hybrid V6, which are also coupled to AWD as standard. The transmission is Ford's 10-speed automatic. Ford predicts the 3.3-liter hybrid version can save between $3,500 and $5,700 in annual fuel costs per vehicle, as its EPA rating of 24 mpg is a 41-percent improvement over the outgoing 3.7-liter model's fuel economy figure.

1546876575912.png

Also according to Ford, the new model is quite a bit faster than the previous generation 3.7-liter. In a 0-60 test performed by the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, the 3.3-liter hybrid came out 1.1 seconds faster, the gap growing to 4.7 seconds when accelerating to 100 mph. The top speed is mentioned to be 137 mph. As we reported on the Michigan State Police's tests, the 3.0 EcoBoost version hits 60 mph in 5.77 seconds and goes all the way to 150 mph.

1546876619585.png

Ford says the platform was designed around a hybrid variant from the get-go, meaning that the lithium-ion battery doesn't compromise the available loadspace or passenger compartment space compared to non-hybrid versions, and that there's now more room compared to the outgoing SUV. The vehicles are highly connected, as they come standard with a modem setup and two years of Ford Telematic service free of charge. There's also a Police Perimeter Alert system, which has a 270-degree field of view to warn about intruders. The alert function turns on the vehicle's rear camera, triggers a chime, closes open windows and locks doors. The display cluster shows motion trails of what the system detects.

Looks-wise, the Police Interceptor Utility follows what we have so far seen in Explorer spy shots. The civil SUV will reportedly be unveiled on January 9 at Ford Field, right before the 2019 Detroit Auto Show.

Ford unveils 2020 Police Interceptor Utility

Freshforged

Reaction score
Longitudinal engine mount? Read somewhere it might stay a transverse set up with RWD bias.

Jared B

Site editor
Staff member
Reaction score
Ford seems to be doing the Audi thing where new models look strikingly similar to what they are replacing. In Fords case though I find all their newer designs to look worse and cheap compared to what they are replacing.

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Ford seems to be doing the Audi thing where new models look strikingly similar to what they are replacing. In Fords case though I find all their newer designs to look worse and cheap compared to what they are replacing.
I still wish they'd go for a more unified design. What similarities exist between this, the new Escape (below), the Edge, and the Expedition?

Actually looks like a civilian Explorer is testing behind this. Look at the grille shape under the headlights on the car in the back.

2020-ford-escape-spy-photo.jpg

Jared B

Site editor
Staff member
Reaction score
I still wish they'd go for a more unified design. What similarities exist between this, the new Escape (below), the Edge, and the Expedition?

Actually looks like a civilian Explorer is testing behind this. Look at the grille shape under the headlights on the car in the back.

View attachment 1703

Agreed about the unified design, all the SUVs/CUVs look radically different from each other, like they're not even from the same manufacturer. The grille going under the headlights on the new Explorer bugs the hell out of me and this new Escape looks like it could be a KIA.

I've said it before, I USED to be a die hard Ford fan but they have really lost their way.

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed about the unified design, all the SUVs/CUVs look radically different from each other, like they're not even from the same manufacturer. The grille going under the headlights on the new Explorer bugs the hell out of me and this new Escape looks like it could be a KIA.

I've said it before, I USED to be a die hard Ford fan but they have really lost their way.
Yeah, I actually think I'll like the new Escape. It looks like it has a smile for a grille, which is refreshing from the faux-menacing look of most crossovers now.

The grille not aligning with the headlights on the Explorer is really my main complaint. It just looks stupid.

Jared B

Site editor
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I actually think I'll like the new Escape. It looks like it has a smile for a grille, which is refreshing from the faux-menacing look of most crossovers now.

The grille not aligning with the headlights on the Explorer is really my main complaint. It just looks stupid.

Yeah the Escape might actually end up looking pretty good. Saying it looks like a KIA wasn't really a knock from me as I think the newer KIAs actually look good for the most part too. I just feel like Ford has no design identity anymore.

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah the Escape might actually end up looking pretty good. Saying it looks like a KIA wasn't really a knock from me as I think the newer KIAs actually look good for the most part too. I just feel like Ford has no design identity anymore.
They don't. The Ranger looks like a Durango in the front IMO. The F-series and Mustang are their only unique designs and I'm not a fan of either of them. They could have really made something unique by making the Ranger a small version of an F-150 instead of adopting a softer look like every other midsize truck.

Jared B

Site editor
Staff member
Reaction score
They don't. The Ranger looks like a Durango in the front IMO. The F-series and Mustang are their only unique designs and I'm not a fan of either of them. They could have really made something unique by making the Ranger a small version of an F-150 instead of adopting a softer look like every other midsize truck.

Agreed, the Ranger is completely bland and to that end the F150 is very very dated. The overall side profile has been very similar since 2004, it's time to completely change it up.

Users who are viewing this thread