Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ford spend $7 billion cash over 5 years on restructuring, Europe plants face Axe

AlexB

Reaction score
Now this redesign includes the reallocation of capital to opportunities with higher returns, restructuring and strategic partnerships. Now relative to restructuring, and mind you, we see this underneath that redesign, we now believe we have the potential for about $11 billion of EBIT restructuring charges with $7 billion of cash-related impacts over the next three to five years.

"Turning to Europe on slide 22. Let me state plainly that we are disappointed with our performance. The loss of $73 million compares to a profit of $122 million last year. The decline in EBIT was driven by higher costs, primarily regulatory related, and unfavorable exchange, mainly sterling. While market factors were slightly positive, we had expected a much stronger boost from the top line both in volume and net pricing."
"Turning to slide 23. Europe similar to North America actually has a strong core product portfolio that last year represented more than 200% of the region's EBIT. This quarter consists of commercial vehicles including Ranger, our Kuga small utility and select imports. On the other hand, the low performing part of our portfolio represents a majority of our volume, revenue and capital deployed in the region, consisting principally of cars and multi-activity vehicles such as C-MAX."

"Clearly our European business requires a major redesign and refocus particularly given the ongoing effects of Brexit on our most important and profitable market. That work is already underway, focused on addressing the low performing elements and expanding and strengthening the healthy pillars of our portfolio."

"It's important to recognize that partnerships, which are a part of our fitness toolkit, are already an integral part of our European operations and going forward we expect them to play an even greater role."

"We know that when we play to our strengths for customers, we drive strong profits and returns. In contrast, the erosion we've seen in both Europe and China is unacceptable, highlighting why we are changing our portfolio in these regions to profitably grow."
"Turning to Europe and our deteriorating results. Despite being only 30% of our revenue, our LCV business continues to be the bright spot, with 13% EBIT margins. This reflects our strong core portfolio with Ford as the number one best selling LCV brand, led by Transit and our vans and Ranger which is now the best selling pickup in the region. But despite this strength, one of our underlying issues is that we are behind on the shift to utilities and now our portfolio under index on this highly profitable and growing segment."
"The biggest issue we face is the UK. We're the number one brand in the market. Back in 2016 we made $1.2 billion in Europe and most of it was in the UK. Brexit and the continued weak sterling has been a fundamental headwind for our European business. This explains the majority of our deterioration along with the age and mix of our utilities and cost. Taking all of these factors into account, we now expect to deliver a loss this year in Europe. To deliver on our long-term target of 6% EBIT margin, clearly we have to redesign Europe, centering the operations on our profitable LCV business. We are aggressively attacking costs and driving improved capital efficiencies across the business. Importantly, capital allocation plans now align with utility and the LCV business opportunity."
https://seekingalpha.com/article/41...-results-earnings-call-transcript?part=single
This was really the huge earnings news from Earnings....Ford will take what a version of Sergio did in U.S. and do it with Europe but more slowly and with plant closures.
Ford only makes money on Commercial vehicles together with imports in Europe.
I wouldn't be surprise if Ford outsources the next Fiesta to another Automaker.

Last edited:

Jared B

Site editor
Staff member
Reaction score
https://seekingalpha.com/article/41...-results-earnings-call-transcript?part=single
This was really the huge earnings news from Earnings....Ford will take what a version of Sergio did in U.S. and do it with Europe but more slowly and with plant closures.
Ford only makes money on Commercial vehicles together with imports in Europe.
I wouldn't be surprise if Ford outsources the next Fiesta to another Automaker.

I thought the car segment would be a lot more lucrative in Europe, guess I was wrong there.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
I thought the car segment would be a lot more lucrative in Europe, guess I was wrong there.

Car segment in Europe is lucrative for companies which got a Government money during the crisis and which shortly after heavily invested into products for European markets. We have only two or three such a groups or alliances. German VAG, French PSA, and French-Japanese RMNA. Although it's doubtful how successful is RMNA.

During last plan unveiling Sergio admitted that FCA didn't put enough resources and manpower to European side of FCA and thus they missed the opportunity. Now it's hard to regain lost market share and above all reputation of a Fiat brand which was a market leader not only in an A segment but also in a B segment with Fiat Punto.

Jared B

Site editor
Staff member
Reaction score
That makes sense. I will admit that I am definitely not up to speed on the European market, this just came as a bit of a surprise to me since Ford spent a good amount of time in North America promoting the Fiesta and Focus as being European engineered. I had kind of assumed that possibility one of the reasons they were loosing money on those vehicles here was that they were over engineered for the pricing that those markets command in North America.

That said they are both quite old platforms now although I have read some rave reviews of the new Focus which we won't get aside from the Active variant.

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
Alan Mulally is probably rolling his eyes at this information, thinking what the hell happened!

Jared B

Site editor
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah looks like the "One Ford" initiative isn't panning out so well.

Freshforged

Reaction score
Even when he got it wrong, Sergio still beat Ford and GM to the punch. FCA started this restructuring nearly a year ago, SM no doubt put the wheels in motion before his untimely death.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
It seems that car manufacturers with UK industrial footprint got a hard hit from Brexit.

Users who are viewing this thread