Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ford Explorer Redesigned from Ground Up: America’s Favorite SUV Delivers More Power, Capability and Adventure Tech

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
Explorer features an available 10.1-inch touch screen mounted in portrait configuration on the center stack. Navigation maps can fill the entire screen for easy viewing, or split the space with audio information. The screen uses capacitive glass comparable to what consumers are accustomed to on smartphones and tablets, providing a quicker, more responsive interaction with the updated SYNC 3 system. Standard SYNC 3’s more intuitive layout gives drivers compatibility with available features such as Apple CarPlay®, Android Auto® and Waze navigation.

The touch screen shares information with the available 12.3-inch all-digital instrument cluster, which displays important vehicle information such as speedometer and gas gauge. It uses 3D animated graphics to change information depending on which of the seven drive modes are selected using the available Terrain Management System.

The powerful new engine lineup features a pair of EcoBoost entries – a 2.3-liter turbocharged I-4 that comes standard on base, XLT and Limited models, and a 3.0-liter twin-turbocharged V6 that powers Explorer Platinum. The reinvigorated 2.3-liter engine is projected to produce 300 horsepower and 310 lb.-ft. of torque, with improved performance over the outgoing Explorer equipped with the same engine.

Rear-wheel drive also enables more towing capability when properly equipped, regardless of engine. Vehicles equipped with a 3.0-liter EcoBoost can tow up to 5,600 pounds, a 12 percent increase over outgoing models with 3.5-liter EcoBoost. New models outfitted with a 2.3-liter EcoBoost and Class III Trailer Tow Package can tow up to 5,300 pounds, versus the 3,000 pounds today’s similarly equipped Explorer is capable of.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg

UN4GTBL

Reaction score
I think it looks a little too "generic" for my tastes. I also hate screens that aren't integrated into the dash like this.

But otherwise, looks good. Will be interesting to see how it does vs. Durango now that it's RWD.

I do like the wireless charging location, and the full screen gauge cluster.

UN4GTBL

Reaction score
Basically durango'd it, except for the ugly looks/front end and ipad tacked on the dash. I'm sure it will continue to sell very well.

I find it hilarious how "durango'd" the previous navigator was.

And Lincoln using similar tail lights as Dodge now is funny too.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
They have said that Grand Cherokee is competitor, not Durango.

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
They have said that Grand Cherokee is competitor, not Durango.

That's not really accurate. The Grand Cherokee doesn't have a third row while that's a primary selling feature of the Explorer. Even if they want it to be a competitor so they can brag about how Explorer has more passenger space than Grand Cherokee, the Edge competes directly with the Grand Cherokee.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
It is and it isn't. Grand Cherokee doesnt have 3rd row (yet) but sale volume wise they are close. Size wise, durango is pretty comparable but previous gen explorer was basically a taurus SUV while durango/GC has v8, RWD bias, and full-size towing figures.

Now that explorer is RWD bias it is much more durango like IMO but the GC will still compete vs the explorer.

mopar22

Reaction score
Interior reminds me of an economy car trying to fight with the bigger dogs by putting in a digital dash and leather

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
That's not really accurate. The Grand Cherokee doesn't have a third row while that's a primary selling feature of the Explorer. Even if they want it to be a competitor so they can brag about how Explorer has more passenger space than Grand Cherokee, the Edge competes directly with the Grand Cherokee.

That's what will they do. Market it as a Grand Cherokee competitor. And we do know why are they doing that.

Edge? Actually I don't think that FCA has the real or direct competitor to Edge. Maybe if they will Chryslerize Commander.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
The iPad sitting on top of the dash looks like an afterthought. I also find the exterior styling to look cheap, the current Explorer looks better to me. Ford continues to disappoint me with their choices.

I agree, the current explorer looks much, much better to me than this new one. Design wise it is a step backward. The current explorer sells quite well - if sales dip it will be solely due to the new look.

The new expedition was very conservative with styling but looks more like the current explorer than this does. They could have gone "smaller expedition" or "larger edge". They went the latter, and i think it was a mistake

Jared B

Site editor
Staff member
Reaction score
I like the Edge although I'm liking the refresh less than the pre refreshed model. The Expedition also looks good to me but the interiors in both is a let down. Ford's newest design direction though seems to be going the wrong way.

I actually have a Ford Edge reserved as a rental next month when. I go to the Toronto auto show so I guess I'll get to spend time with one.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
I think that a switch to a RWD platform gives better proportion.

The only drawback is interior. Infotainment screen integration. But in my opinion this leaves door open for easier upgrades to a bigger screens.

And 3.0 TT V6. I thought it's a Lincoln exclusive. They've surprised me.

AlexB

Reaction score

The only drawback is interior. Infotainment screen integration. But in my opinion this leaves door open for easier upgrades to a bigger screens.

It total destroys the Traverse ....

Rustydodge

Reaction score

I actually think the 2018 traverse is much better than the 2017 version, but it has that terrible looking new chevy front that they are plastering on everything, despite its abject failure on some models (cough...camaro...cough).

Jared B

Site editor
Staff member
Reaction score

Definitely surprised to see the 3 liter twin turbo end up in this. The Aviator is beautiful I was just hoping for a bit more for the Explorer. Glad they switched back to a RWD platform though.

Absolutely.

Cody's Car Conundrum

Reaction score
I like the Edge although I'm liking the refresh less than the pre refreshed model. The Expedition also looks good to me but the interiors in both is a let down. Ford's newest design direction though seems to be going the wrong way.

I actually have a Ford Edge reserved as a rental next month when. I go to the Toronto auto show so I guess I'll get to spend time with one.
The interior width is pretty significant. Had one when me and the fam went to Texas last year (short trip). Nice car overall, the engine was dull though. Not bad, but dull.

In fact, we rode a shuttle bus early in the morning that same day (one of those old GMC shuttle buses: (Text because Google links are longer than my lifespan) ) and that thing had more character. It was the vehicular embodiment of a grumpy bus driver who just wants a nice paycheck but constantly mumbles "I don't get paid enough to do this".

cygnus

Reaction score
Front fascia styling is an improvement. The center console is a disaster. One of the things I love about my Grand Cherokee is that the buttons take up the entirety of the center console - there is no wasted space and spacing between each button (x and y) is consistent throughout the dashboard.

What is the point of having 'Sync' embossed on the dash and two inches of plastic between the knobs and where the climate control is? Stupid. Seriously, who designs this crap at Ford? I'm not even a designer and I know there are certain characteristics/principals of interfaces that give designs an appealing aesthetic.

I have high hopes for WL.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread