Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FIAT Reveals Creation Of Its Next Concept Car:

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
FIAT Reveals Creation Of Its Next Concept Car:
Vehicle Will Debut At The Sao Paulo Motor Show On Nov. 6th...

imagem-3-780x405.jpg

Once again, Fiat is preparing to anticipate trends and indicate the future. The newest concept car brand will be presented at the Motor Show in Sao Paulo, with a mission to translate the four new principles of Design for Fiat in Latin America: human ( human ), bold ( bold ), contemporary and flexible ( contextual ) and capable of generating experiences without interruptions ( seamless ). These are principles that will inspire upcoming brand launches, including in the UV segment ( Utility Vehicles ).

For the complete article, click the link below...
https://moparinsiders.com/fiat-reveals-creation-of-its-next-concept-car/

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score

SP Lounge: Concept anticipates visual of the Fiat Toro SUV

Fiat Toro SUV will be presented at the São Paulo Motor Show in concept form. Concept Car anticipates lines of the X3U Project that will give rise to a five and seven seat SUV.

toro-suv.jpg

In June 2015 , Autos Segredos anticipated that Fiat was working on a Toro SUV. Now, three years later, the brand will present a Concept Car at the São Paulo Motor Show that anticipates the X3U Project line that will give rise to a five-seater and seven-seat SUV derived from the Toro truck. The X3U will be the fourth product of the Pernambuco plant.

Project
Fiat plans to have its dreamy SUV trailing since 2015 when the X3U Concept Car began to be developed. At the time, when we reported on the project plans, we stated that the project was the first on the discard list.

However, in June 2016 , Fiat's engineering returned to work on the model that had received a green light. Despite not having prototypes in the streets, the SUV continued in development and now will give the faces in concept form in the São Paulo show.

fiat_suv_x3u_2.jpg

Visual
According to our report, the Toro SUV will follow in general lines, the design of the truck. The sides will be the same as the shape of the doors. Already in the lead, the SUV will have changes in relation to Toro. According to our "friends", the dual optical assembly will be maintained, but both the daytime running lights and the main headlights will be larger. Incidentally, these changes must anticipate Toro's facelift, scheduled for 2020.

In the rear, the lanterns will follow those of the Toro pickup, invading the sides. The concept trunk lid will be split like the pickup truck. Whether this will be used in the production model is still unknown, but it can be a facilitator to access the third row of banks.

Interior
Inside, the Toro SUV will follow the pickup lines. The multimedia center will be updated by an 8.4 ", compared to the current 5", which has a screen smaller than many current smartphones.

fiat_suv_x3u.jpg

Engines
In terms of powertrain, the Toro SUV, should share the set with the Compass being equipped with the 2.0 Flex and 2.0 Diesel engines. However, the E.torQ 1.8 can not be ruled out for the five-seat option.

The Toro SUV is expected to feature the 2.0 Tigershark Flex engine that delivers 159 horsepower and 19.9kgfm torque when fueled with gasoline and 166cv of power and 20.5kgfm of torque with ethanol in the tank. The gearbox is automatic six-speed.

fiat_suv_x3u_1.jpg

The 2.0 Diesel engine has power output of 170 hp at 3,750 rpm, 35.7 kgfm of maximum torque at 1,750 rpm. In the case of the diesel engine, the gearbox is always the nine-speed automatic.

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
So they're releasing this in Latin America but not in Europe?
LOL

Anyway, that translation is spot on. The render is completely wrong on the rear of the SUV according to the description in the article.
This has to be released in Europe. There's absolutely no reason to not release this in Europe. It's a SUSW SUV with a 5 and 7 seat version. It's everything Fiat needs right now in Europe.

Last edited:

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
If they brought it to the US it would sell.

I love that design. We'd better get some of these vehicles with this design language here instead of the 500 family. AWD and 2.0 turbo... yes, please!

Last edited:

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
If they brought it to the US it would sell.

I love that design. We'd better get some of these vehicles with this design language here instead of the 500 family. AWD and 2.0 turbo... yes, please!

I'm wondering how much will it differ in production version.

And don't forget that this one is based on Small Wide platform. And IMO it looks big for a Small Wide based car.

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm wondering how much will it differ in production version.

And don't forget that this one is based on Small Wide platform. And IMO it looks big for a Small Wide based car.
CUSW would be a better fit IMO

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
This one's a SUSW like the Toro. The original Fiat Toro concept was as wild as this one. However, you can see hints where they will restyle the Toro and where this will be different. Namely the Fiat badge.

The grille looks a lot different, the logo is updated and integrated in the lower fascia inside chrome that also surrounds the headlights. IMO, it's a nice improvement over the Toro. Looking at the styling of this concept I'm certain that this compact SUV will be nearly similar to the Toro (which IMO is good since the Toro is atractive in a quirky way).

fiat-fcc4-coupe-concept-1415244383683_956x500.png

This was the concept for the Toro pick-up. I really really really hope that they also release this SUV in Europe. If it's a SUSW it could easily be manufactured in plenty of EU factories. Heck, use the Punto production line.

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
I bet it'll look something similar to this render in production form.

Fiat-Toro-SUV-1.jpg

Fiat-Toro-SUV.jpg

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
CUSW would be a better fit IMO

First of all. Any CUSW car can currently be made in 1 region plus 1 country.
Small Wide can be made in 3 regions plus 2 countries.

Using a CUSW in ita current form suitable for V6 would have an impact on styling. For example side line on this concept is very good and front overhang is not to long.
CUSW front overhang could ruin proportions.

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
Completely agree with Bili CUSW would be a terrible choice for this. SUSW is great for the proportions of this SUV and with the new GSE and GME 4-cylinder engines there's no point in using CUSW for these market segments when the 4-cylinder engines are as powerful, offer more torque and are smaller and lighter.

I'm really curious to see the dimensions of the production SUV. Will it be shorter than the Toro?
These are the dimensions of the Toro:

Wheelbase 2,990 mm (117.7 in)
Length 4,915 mm (193.5 in)
Width 1,844 mm (72.6 in)
Height 1,746 mm (68.7 in)

For comparison these are the dimensions of the Peugeot 5008:
Wheelbase 2,840 mm (111.8 in)
Length 4,640 mm (182.7 in)
Width 1,840 mm (72.4 in)
Height 1,640 mm (64.6 in)

This SUV would have everything to be a success in Europe.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
@Deckard Cain

For a long time I was a proponent of Small Wide platform updates. Like aluminium front McPherson suspension, different electric steering assist programming, rear multilink suspension instead McPherson suspension which is now on Compass, Renegade and 500X but not on Toro.

Speaking about GME T4 weight vs. V6 Pentastar. They are similar. Maybe 10 kg advantage less for GME. But GME has other advantages for packaging in a car with transversely oriented engine.

I'm not sure that a SUV Coupe form will be used in a final product.
In my opinion similar front end will be kept. And they will apply it on a Toro facelift.
Both plus Compass will keep using identical front doors. Basically they are identical from A to B pillar. It helps with cost.

What I don't know. Will there be a 5 or 7 seat Fiat Toro SUV? Or what are Brazilians saying. Both!
For 7 seat version they must use boxy design. No doubt about it.
But what about 5 seater? Will it be a Coupe-SUV? I think that's a most important question. Can they offer two very similar models with totally different rear end of the car.

@Ryan

I was thinking. Is there a market for a Coupe-SUV models in US? Can this be a Chrysler model in US?
Basically a long wheelbase Compass with slightly lower overall height. Of course Chrysler version could have a more upscale interior as an option or even measures for better sound insulation.

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
@Deckard Cain

For a long time I was a proponent of Small Wide platform updates. Like aluminium front McPherson suspension, different electric steering assist programming, rear multilink suspension instead McPherson suspension which is now on Compass, Renegade and 500X but not on Toro.

They really should keep updating it. But if no new vehicles come out on the SUSW in Europe there's not much point to keeping it around...

I'm not sure that a SUV Coupe form will be used in a final product.
In my opinion similar front end will be kept. And they will apply it on a Toro facelift.
Both plus Compass will keep using identical front doors. Basically they are identical from A to B pillar. It helps with cost.

I agree with you here. The front end will be similar to the concept, and the Toro facelift will use it as well.
What I don't know. Will there be a 5 or 7 seat Fiat Toro SUV? Or what are Brazilians saying. Both!
For 7 seat version they must use boxy design. No doubt about it.
But what about 5 seater? Will it be a Coupe-SUV? I think that's a most important question. Can they offer two very similar models with totally different rear end of the car.

They could probably do the 7-seat with the wheelbase and length of the Toro and the 5-seat with the wheelbase and length of the Compass to cut costs.
The Compass owns the C-SUV segment in Brasil. Launching this Toro SUV would consolidate that.
If they manufactured it in Mexico they could even export it to Europe though. Increase production of Compass in Brasil to export to Mexico, shift models produced in Mexico exclusively to Europe and North America.

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
@Ryan

I was thinking. Is there a market for a Coupe-SUV models in US? Can this be a Chrysler model in US?
Basically a long wheelbase Compass with slightly lower overall height. Of course Chrysler version could have a more upscale interior as an option or even measures for better sound insulation.
Personally, I like those vehicles. I don’t know how they’d do in that segment though since they’re more of a luxury vehicle where people don’t mind sacrificing utility for style. If the vehicle you described became a reality, it would need a 2.0. The 1.3 will not be powerful enough to make that an appealing choice.

But the Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross seems doomed to fail and it’s a similar type of vehicle.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
Theyl couldd probably do the 7-seat with the wheelbase and length of the Toro and the 5-seat with the wheelbase and length of the Compass to cut costs.
The Compass owns the C-SUV segment in Brasil. Launching this Toro SUV would consolidate that.
If they manufactured it in Mexico they could even export it to Europe though. Increase production of Compass in Brasil to export to Mexico, shift models produced in Mexico exclusively to Europe and North America.

I'm expecting wheelbase in between Compass and Toro.

If it's a Low D segment as in the plan than it's an easy guess. We can debate about exact dimensions but I think it will be more than 2.7 meters and less than 2.8 meters. Of-course I could be wrong but if it's a Low D segment than it needs to be relatively compact on the outside.

Personally, I like those vehicles. I don’t know how they’d do in that segment though since they’re more of a luxury vehicle where people don’t mind sacrificing utility for style. If the vehicle you described became a reality, it would need a 2.0. The 1.3 will not be powerful enough to make that an appealing choice.

But the Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross seems doomed to fail and it’s a similar type of vehicle.

As I probably already said it. I'm not a fan. But this particular concept has a nice sideline.

PHEV for this platform is almost ready. So...

The only question is can they and will they out 2.0 turbo inside of it. It does not have much sense for Mercosur or even for EU. Diesel is still the king for this size of a vehicle.

But IMO a fastback SUV could offer a relatively low Cd and if it's not to tall it will have lower frontal surface in comparison to an average SUV. That could help with a highway fuel economy.
For city fuel economy weight is important. Lower is better. And that helps with a 0-60 times.

Users who are viewing this thread