Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does Your Charger Or 300 Have Interior Issues?

Delaminating Door Panels? Delaminating Consoles?

Dodge-Charger-SRT392-1.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sickboy

Reaction score
Delaminating Door Panels? Delaminating Consoles?

Does Your Charger Or 300 Have Interior Issues? - Mopar Insiders
2017 charger. Just out of warranty on mine, by days. I’ve slight separation on my drivers side front, more prevalent on the passenger side. None on the rear doors yet. Having it looked at tomorrow with the hopes of a good will fix. If not, I’ll try some 3m trim adhesive. If that’s a no go, I’ll buy the Panels and install them myself. They seem pretty reasonable at about $150 each. I’ll need to order them at the dealership due to the vagueness of which part number for what trim. I’ll post what my results are

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, both front door panels and both pieces on each side of the center console. I replaced the center console pieces before I traded it in because they looked horrible. They were super easy to replace... not sure if the door panels are as well. It was a 2015.

Doc8677

Reaction score
I have this problem on my 2016 Charger RT. I had read about the problem here a few months ago but had not noticed issue this until last week when both the driverside front door and passenger side front door started coming apart as described in the article. The center console seems fine at the moment but I am wondering about a problem down the road as many others have had. Does anyone know what, if anything, is being said by Dodge regarding this issue?

Sickboy

Reaction score
I have this problem on my 2016 Charger RT. I had read about the problem here a few months ago but had not noticed issue this until last week when both the driverside front door and passenger side front door started coming apart as described in the article. The center console seems fine at the moment but I am wondering about a problem down the road as many others have had. Does anyone know what, if anything, is being said by Dodge regarding this issue?
I wouldn’t even know how about forming a complaint. My dealer says it isn’t covered under a goodwill policy. It’s my fault for not looking for it sooner, as I knew about the issue. As I said, I’m going to try contact adhesive. And go with new ones if I don’t like the results. I’m hoping a recall is in the future

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t even know how about forming a complaint. My dealer says it isn’t covered under a goodwill policy. It’s my fault for not looking for it sooner, as I knew about the issue. As I said, I’m going to try contact adhesive. And go with new ones if I don’t like the results. I’m hoping a recall is in the future
Goodwill doesn't just cover specific issues. It can be used at the dealer's discretion to fix problems for their customers. This issue would be covered unless your car was outside of certain mileage/time parameters. I can provide more details in a PM if you need me to, but it sound like you may want to check another service department...

(I submit warranty claims at a dealership)

TripleT

Reaction score
Someone send me one. It definitely a supplier issue. I would image some epoxy glue would resolve it, as they stick well with the TPU and urethane coating. What I am wondering is what the back part is made of ABS or PP.... look for a number inside three arrows forming a triangle. PP is problematic as it is super difficult to get anything to adhere to it, so it could be a problem created by that. It could be that UV package isn't sufficient, that it happens over time lends to that yet many say they are garage kept. Is that all day, of is it left out a work? Scariest is someone with a can of Silicon release spray, sometime molding ejection issue are hidden with I a spray of this. when instead mold heat, cooling, or polish are needed instead.

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Someone send me one. It definitely a supplier issue. I would image some epoxy glue would resolve it, as they stick well with the TPU and urethane coating. What I am wondering is what the back part is made of ABS or PP.... look for a number inside three arrows forming a triangle. PP is problematic as it is super difficult to get anything to adhere to it, so it could be a problem created by that. It could be that UV package isn't sufficient, that it happens over time lends to that yet many say they are garage kept. Is that all day, of is it left out a work? Scariest is someone with a can of Silicon release spray, sometime molding ejection issue are hidden with I a spray of this. when instead mold heat, cooling, or polish are needed instead.
My car was left out at work but kept in a garage other than that. But yeah, it was parked in direct sunlight all day, though my windows had a deep tint.

If I'd known you wanted to see them, I'd have sent you the pieces I removed before I threw them away.

TripleT

Reaction score
My car was left out at work but kept in a garage other than that. But yeah, it was parked in direct sunlight all day, though my windows had a deep tint.

If I'd known you wanted to see them, I'd have sent you the pieces I removed before I threw them away.

If I can see a unit I can help generate a probable problem.....

One would assume FCA and the supplier are all over this, but what to do with the inventory is problematic.

Someone cheating with a can of Silicon spray instead of proper processing and mold maintenance can be hard to catch if it is allowed on other components.

A malfunctioning mixer is another one that would be tough to catch without a material audit, even then it might be adding the proper amount just not consistently.

Then the colorant manufacturer could have missed also.

I am sure that there is a lot of finger pointing.

Doc8677

Reaction score
I am thinking that any goodwill request from a dealer is going to be problematic as my Charger is my daily driver and I log a lot of miles between work and my kids travel soccer commitments. It is also parked outside both at home and work at all the time. Its a 2016 with just over 125,000 miles on it. Outside of this issue it has been flawless. When I find a break here soon I am going to take it to the dealer to see what they say. I will most likely just pay to have them replaced. I will see if I can get my hands on the old ones once it is done. Triple T....If I remember correctly you are here local in Michigan right?

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I am thinking that any goodwill request from a dealer is going to be problematic as my Charger is my daily driver and I log a lot of miles between work and my kids travel soccer commitments. It is also parked outside both at home and work at all the time. Its a 2016 with just over 125,000 miles on it. Outside of this issue it has been flawless. When I find a break here soon I am going to take it to the dealer to see what they say. I will most likely just pay to have them replaced. I will see if I can get my hands on the old ones once it is done. Triple T....If I remember correctly you are here local in Michigan right?
Yes, that is outside of goodwill parameters for a dealership to self-authorize.

TripleT

Reaction score

So.Ind

Sickboy

Reaction score
I don’t intend to attempt a repair until fall. I will look for the markings then and report back. I understand that any glue residue must be removed before new adhesive applied, but am curious if you could recommend a safe solvent for this. I don’t want to melt anything and I believe you specialize in materials

TripleT

Reaction score
I can't evaluate how the parts are made to see if it just a mold over or it is secondary process. I think it a mold over so they would be expecting the TPU or urethane to just adhere to the support component.

2 year ago I was in Portugal and the vendor I was visiting was doing some trick stuff with a two position mold the could press wood, or even carbon laments then injection mold behind it. Very high end maybe some of that will make it into the new FCA products....

I really expect this is adhesion issues related to mold release but it really is just a guess. but if it is It would need cleaned with prior to gluing. maybe even a light sand of the support component.

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I can't evaluate how the parts are made to see if it just a mold over or it is secondary process. I think it a mold over so they would be expecting the TPU or urethane to just adhere to the support component.

2 year ago I was in Portugal and the vendor I was visiting was doing some trick stuff with a two position mold the could press wood, or even carbon laments then injection mold behind it. Very high end maybe some of that will make it into the new FCA products....

I really expect this is adhesion issues related to mold release but it really is just a guess. but if it is It would need cleaned with prior to gluing. maybe even a light sand of the support component.
Not sure if you can see anything useful from this photo:
88CF9E76-8C14-4590-8945-34EDC6979B33.jpeg

TripleT

Reaction score
Everyone who has problems should post the date code so we can assemble a possible process time window.

TripleT

Reaction score

Something to note.... this is from a 2016. According to the date code is was made in December 2010?????? Can this be possible true? If it is this part was 6 years old before it even was installed in the car. If it is not then the supplier is not properly changing the date code. This part had sever delamination at the end of the urethane adhesive fill. Especially around the sharp edges.

TripleT

Reaction score

Also note how poorly maintained the parting line is on this lifter. Another concern, his the tooling condition. If the date code isn't being maintained then is the tool in general being maintained? I suppose FCA could have some sort of weird tracking where there date code is 4 years off, or it is the qualified date. But those would be Odd things to say the least. Also to note the high sheen on the area where it delaminated. Why the high polish on the area where they want adhesion? Is there ejection issues? Was Silicone release aid used to aid ejection. If people could post date codes as they remove the components

Sickboy

Reaction score
View attachment 3571

Something to note.... this is from a 2016. According to the date code is was made in December 2010?????? Can this be possible true? If it is this part was 6 years old before it even was installed in the car. If it is not then the supplier is not properly changing the date code. This part had sever delamination at the end of the urethane adhesive fill. Especially around the sharp edges.
Could the plastic be produced in huge batches and warehoused until needed, at which point it would go int final assembly and receive the correct “upholstery” for the model it was going into?

Users who are viewing this thread