Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dodge Demon Rear Ends Fail

Jared B

Site editor
Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting, especially since the Demon gets an upgraded rear end shared with only the 1320. Demons and 1320s get heavy duty 41 spline axles compared to the other Challenger Variants. I'm curious as to what part of the rear end actually failed most commonly.

IronMike68

Reaction score
What is really causing the issue is severe wheel hop ! Every Challenger or Charger that has lost a rear diff is because of this issue from my observation. The ones with dif braces installed seem to have a better chance at surviving this issue. That and the center section being made of aluminum isn't helping the cause either.

Jared B

Site editor
Staff member
Reaction score
What is really causing the issue is severe wheel hop ! Every Challenger or Charger that has lost a rear diff is because of this issue from my observation. The ones with dif braces installed seem to have a better chance at surviving this issue. That and the center section being made of aluminum isn't helping the cause either.

That wouldn't surprise me and has long been an issue with IRS equipped vehicles wheel-hopping until they break parts. I will have to check out the video posted above.

HotCarNut

Reaction score
Maybe so, but FCA tested this vehicle extensively and designed it specifically for these types of launches. For this issue to not show up in testing and for engineering to not have identified it on the stock models would be extremely concerning. I'm wondering if something is out of spec from the supplier on the differentials or if there's a flaw in the casting. Just seems very VERY unusual to have this failure level with the amount of testing that FCA did, especially on a track prepped by the same company that prepped tracks for the FCA tests....

Jared B

Site editor
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe so, but FCA tested this vehicle extensively and designed it specifically for these types of launches. For this issue to not show up in testing and for engineering to not have identified it on the stock models would be extremely concerning. I'm wondering if something is out of spec from the supplier on the differentials or if there's a flaw in the casting. Just seems very VERY unusual to have this failure level with the amount of testing that FCA did, especially on a track prepped by the same company that prepped tracks for the FCA tests....

True and I know FCA launched the car a TON of times in testing. Definitely curious to see where this goes.

Muther

Reaction score
I’d say an enormous amount of the fault can go to the drag slicks on the first/gray car.

The second/orange car appears to be using drag radials.

Yes, it will be interesting to see what SRT says.

You can’t rule out abuse, nor can you say it’s not outright failure. Likely it’ll be a combination of things. Stickier tires, abuse, a weak link somewhere, more power.

Blown7

Reaction score
IMHO as a technician and engineer I say what we are seeing is a cumulative failure under ideal conditions.

Any driveline component can break when stopped or started quickly. I agree with a previous poster on another forum...that is .......the differential(s) were/was over stressed and possibly cracked at a previous date, due to less than ideal track prep conditions...that revealed in catastrophic failure with a perfectly prepared track.

FCA needs to increase the strength of the differential possibly going back to a larger steel center section or increasing the strength of the aluminum design.

Users who are viewing this thread