Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Compass MCA is coming

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
We are not far away from a Compass MCA/facelift. AFAIK Italian factory is already MCA ready but they will not risk and will start producing Compass in its current form. That's in similar fashion as when Cherokee has changed factories.

Novelties should be GSE T4 engines which are already in US for Chinese made Compass.
Also some interior updates. I presume we will see upgraded infotainment. My hope is for Harman R1.

3B6DFF75-48B2-49B0-BB06-9E65D0C153F7.jpeg.7cfb7cf896cfcdb37a8c61e223d8ef2a.jpeg7103F1C0-A299-4B5E-ABE5-120310E7AD96.jpeg.5354fe7aec07ec23e2e9a2da2b930f66.jpegFB370CB3-DDE0-4DAA-974B-468248304BF8.jpeg.761b2ed0f0c7cc20681693e0c00444c9.jpegC1F0BFFB-8003-49A6-B317-9D27E1EAA3E5.jpeg.63a105355c33b76ba1c5924cca5a2e7b.jpeg

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
I thought the US Compass only used the old 2.4 engine and not the new 2.0 present in the Cherokee?

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
Talking about the GME I reckon that would be the better engine for the US market in the Compass.

Which Compass competitor is offering 2.0 turbo? Not a single one. Besides there is a Cherokee covering that market.

As we know 1.5 is coming. I would like to see that one inside of Compass.

Chrismopar

Reaction score
Which Compass competitor is offering 2.0 turbo? Not a single one. Besides there is a Cherokee covering that market.

The 1.5T would be perfect for Compass, however the Renegade already offers a 1.3T option with more hp and tq then 2.4, I suspect 1.3T more likely. Maybe 1.3T std and 1.5T opt.

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
1.3 should be fine for the Compass with the PHEV hopefully available for those who want something with more power.

@Bili Do you think the infotainment system is going get new hardware with the same UX or something new, maybe similar to a system on the the next-gen Grand Cherokee?

AlfaCuda

Reaction score

Cut price Evoque, XC40? Tiguan, Kodiaq in EMEA?

US market especially likes larger cap from what I see.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
@Chrismopar

Good point. But is it a 1.5 Alfa Romeo exclusive? I don't believe in that outcome. But then is it exclusively paired with P2 mily hybrid system? Which transmission will be used? There are indications for DCT transmission comeback for P2 mild hybrid. We'll see if this is true. As a European I would welcome it but I'm not sure that Americans are sharing my opinion. Of course this transmission will be a lot different in comparison to a DDCT.

1.5 could also offer similar power level as 1.3 but with less boost. Some Americans would welcome it. If not 1.5 will surely offer slightly more torque and power, maybe around 200 HP.

@Ryan

I'm not sure that Americans are in love with PHEV and that majority is willing to pay a premium for it. So 1.5 could be welcome addition for many buyers.

New infotainment? Who knows. Tonale will get Harman R1 and it's on Small Wide fork. So I don't see any obstacle for Compass. Of course hardware and even software may be all new but skin or UI could stay similar if not identical as on UConnect. Actually for most products they should call it UConnect.

@AlfaCuda

You've mentioned premium products or D-segment product(Škoda Kodiaq). The only exception is VW Tiguan which has 2.0 turbo with 180 or 220 PS depending on the market.

FCA already has 1.3 with 180 PS. I don't see why they can't offer 1.5 with slightly more or with exactly 200 PS. It should be more than good for most buyers even in Europe.

But my point was about competitors in America. Of course a lot depends on positioning of next generation Cherokee. As it's now I don't see much if any space for 2.0 turbo Compass with close to 300 PS.

AlexB

Reaction score
@Chrismopar

Good point. But is it a 1.5 Alfa Romeo exclusive? I don't believe in that outcome. But then is it exclusively paired with P2 mily hybrid system? Which transmission will be used? There are indications for DCT transmission comeback for P2 mild hybrid. We'll see if this is true. As a European I would welcome it but I'm not sure that Americans are sharing my opinion. Of course this transmission will be a lot different in comparison to a DDCT.

1.5 could also offer similar power level as 1.3 but with less boost. Some Americans would welcome it. If not 1.5 will surely offer slightly more torque and power, maybe around 200 HP.

@Ryan

I'm not sure that Americans are in love with PHEV and that majority is willing to pay a premium for it. So 1.5 could be welcome addition for many buyers.

New infotainment? Who knows. Tonale will get Harman R1 and it's on Small Wide fork. So I don't see any obstacle for Compass. Of course hardware and even software may be all new but skin or UI could stay similar if not identical as on UConnect. Actually for most products they should call it UConnect.

@AlfaCuda

You've mentioned premium products or D-segment product(Škoda Kodiaq). The only exception is VW Tiguan which has 2.0 turbo with 180 or 220 PS depending on the market.

FCA already has 1.3 with 180 PS. I don't see why they can't offer 1.5 with slightly more or with exactly 200 PS. It should be more than good for most buyers even in Europe.

But my point was about competitors in America. Of course a lot depends on positioning of next generation Cherokee. As it's now I don't see much if any space for 2.0 turbo Compass with close to 300 PS.
If it was up to me, I would simply drop the Cherokee as it an chunky, odd size vehicle.

AlexB

Reaction score
I'd move it to a RWD architecture and make it a true, smaller alternative to the Grand Cherokee.
I like the concept of "Grand Compass",roomer and more polish than the standard Compass with a greater breath of available features. "Grand Compass" would be available with 3rd row at all trims and replace both the Cherokee and Journey.

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
I like the concept of "Grand Compass",roomer and more polish than the standard Compass with a greater breath of available features. "Grand Compass" would be available with 3rd row at all trims and replace both the Cherokee and Journey.

They could even call this "Grand Compass" the "Cherokee".
They just need to shift the Cherokee to the Small-Wide platform, it's much better for packaging than the CUSW. Or maybe use one of the PSA platforms.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score

"Grand Compass" can't fit Jeep image in the US but IMO it could make the perfect Chrysler CUV.

Jeep needs something with short rear overhang in US. But nonetheless some rumor are suggesting Cherokee's switch to a Small Wide platform evolution.

KrisW

Reaction score
Small-Wide gives shorter overhangs at front, but that means no V6 option (a transverse V6 engine needs a lot of space ahead of the front axle). Could this be the debut for the GME-based Inline-6 that's been rumoured for so long?

Agree that the Jeep brand is restricted by needing to have short rear overhang too, for departure angles, and a limit on wheelbase due to breakover angles. Nobody gives a damn about a Kia's breakover or departure angles, but it's a big deal for Jeep's image. There really needs to be a Chrysler CUV to address the likes of Telluride or Highlander: people who'll never see a trail, but want a big, tall vehicle.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
@KrisW

I doubt they will offer Inline 6 on a FWD based platform. Just imagine turning cycle. Besides 2.0 turbo can be pushed past 300 HP and I'm not talking about some extreme dedicated engines.

Long wheelbase? IMO it's easier on some RWD based platforms. Air suspension helps and mot cars are offering it with RWD platforms. Actually AFAIK FCA had plans for air suspension even pn Stelvio.

I agree on Chrysler. But IMO they even need real competitor to a RAV4 and CR-V. To my eyes they both look wagonish with their long rear overhangs.

Users who are viewing this thread