Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CAUGHT: We Get Our First Look At The Ram 1500 Battery-Electric Pickup!

CAUGHT: We Get Our First Look At The Ram 1500 Battery-Electric Pickup!​

Expect To See A Conceptual Version Next Month...​

1666817524018.png

For the first time, spy photographers have captured a Ram 1500 BEV (battery-electric vehicle) prototype in the open. Sitting atop the STLA Frame architecture, Ram chose a 2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab body with a 6-foot, 4-inch box for this mule. An evolution of the Ram 1500 DT platform, the updated STLA Frame platform was designed and engineered to offer flexibility for internal combustion engine (ICE), hybrid electric vehicle (HEV), plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV), and BEV variants in various widths and lengths accommodating multiple applications.

Hemidakota

Reaction score
Hopefully, with the extra large battery size, they would be the first to push for a 480 charging system vice the 120 or 240. Charging this beast will be an issue for overnight and ready by morning. :) Again, it will come down to range and towing capabilities.

AlexB

Reaction score
This is the most important vehicle for the perception & reputation of Stellantis, far none.
I love usability ideas like ports on both sides, and those ideas are important so RAM can be the most usable electrified Truck lineup!

Last edited:

09kip

Reaction score
I am super curious to see the Range extender version with the onboard Generator (ala Chevy Volt) I have always wondered would you be able to run an engine quiet enough at Idle... to be able to make enough juice to fully supplement a battery pack... I assume it would be a gas engine, but a small diesel would be amazing.

bill burke

Reaction score
To begin, it is no secret that my comments on this topic reflect, I believe, a sizable segment of the population that is skeptical about an “all in “ approach to electrification. On a more personal note, I do feel electric vehicles have a place in the industry, can succeed as an option for some buyers and the Ram application is one of these viable options. Trucks, SUVs and many cars are viable candidates.
In all fairness, electrification advocates must acknowledge the limitations of electric supply infrastructures, the fact that electric generation will require additional dependence and consumption of fossil fuels and that even the most optimistic predictions on this transition to electric verify, it is projected that best case it will have negligible, if not zero impact on global climate. The lack of China and India and most of Latin America and Africa to commit to this effort negates the basic arguments presented by the green movement, let alone the lingering doubts that climate change exists at all if measured over centuries not days, weeks or months. Where’s the beef pseudo scientists ?
As to the Ram itself, as stated there is much riding on this for Stellantis, they better leap frog the competition as promised or they will look bad in this segment.
I remain an all in electric opponent, but I do believe there are places to market electric pragmatically and this is one. But be certain, one size will never fit all as most buyers are sticking with Internal Combustion Engines for decades and decades. Reality and facts support this pragmatic prediction as even the most myopic of management types must recognize in private.
Long live carbon emissions!

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
This vehicle is extremely important, and I feel that the 500-mile range is crucial for the success of BEV full-size pick-ups.
A pick-up with 500-miles of range in testing conditions with an empty bed is one thing, but it was pretty clear with the electric F-150 that a loaded pick-up loses too much range.
If RAM wants to turn heads from everyone they should market this pick-up with the EV range with a fully loaded bed. If they could market "Minimum 350-miles with loaded bed" and "Minimum 300-miles towing xxxx lbs" then they would for sure turn heads and attract everyone to their BEV.
Also give it a cool sound like they did to the Barracuda.

One thing I would like to see RAM implement is a parallel charging system, where the driver could use two chargers to charge two separate battery modules, thus reducing charging time.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Its good to see a test vehicle on the road instead of just renderings.

Logical to meet some of the claims that they may use a longer wheel base truck for a bigger pack. Also like to see the wheel to wheel sidesteps (maybe to try and hide the batteries maybe for slight aero improvements).

I'd be surprised if this didn't have air susp standard, for the lowering of the front (also for aero). Not to mention the extra vehicle weight it has to carry.

Users who are viewing this thread