Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CAUGHT: 2021 Jeep Wagoneer Test Mule:

AlexB

Reaction score
Bye Bye Tahoe profits (if the interior is a Silverado repeat of execution ) ...

GasAxe

Reaction score
Great news! Not all that surprising they are going with IRS instead of the Ram solid axle but I was hoping they would have kept it and added a sway bar disconnect for some wild rear flex.

MoparMantis

Reaction score
Hot diggity dog. This vehicle has me excited. I've been wanting a full size (3 row) mopar all of my driving years. Always had to make compromises.
3 cheers.

MoparMantis

Reaction score
My big debate is which motor to get. Love the Hemi, always have. A 6.4 would put a grin on ear to ear. The 3.0 diesel will get good mileage, but they need to get the bugs worked out before I'd consider it (and get it back on market). The straight 6 would really have to be something special for it to be in strong consideration. The 5.7 is tried and true. A solid backup option if one of the others doesnt come through.
2x4 or 4x4 would be a bit of a debate, but I'd probably go 4x4. I've already got one and in west Texas is rarely snows enough to need it. We do have some pretty nasty dirt roads when it rains but we usually dont have to use those. I've got my pickup if we do. Driving north for Christmas and winter time can be hairy though. We have to drive a long way to get to family. Taking that trip in the minivan is a lot easier than the pickup (4 kids). But we typically take the pickup for winter trips.
Definitely getting the Grand.
Also, 8 seat belts please.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
This is also interesting because of recent rumors of others going to IRS on full size pickups...So Ram will be prepared to do that if need be based on what they learn from wagoneer development.

Excited to finally see mules on the road

Jared B

Site editor
Staff member
Reaction score
My big debate is which motor to get. Love the Hemi, always have. A 6.4 would put a grin on ear to ear. The 3.0 diesel will get good mileage, but they need to get the bugs worked out before I'd consider it (and get it back on market). The straight 6 would really have to be something special for it to be in strong consideration. The 5.7 is tried and true. A solid backup option if one of the others doesnt come through.
2x4 or 4x4 would be a bit of a debate, but I'd probably go 4x4. I've already got one and in west Texas is rarely snows enough to need it. We do have some pretty nasty dirt roads when it rains but we usually dont have to use those. I've got my pickup if we do. Driving north for Christmas and winter time can be hairy though. We have to drive a long way to get to family. Taking that trip in the minivan is a lot easier than the pickup (4 kids). But we typically take the pickup for winter trips.
Definitely getting the Grand.
Also, 8 seat belts please.

You can pretty much bet the farm that the Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer will get the new straight 6.

Blown7

Reaction score
Nice catch..kudos to the photographer.
I would have thought it was just another pickup testing.
No one did explain well why the rear bars like a roll cage diagnal are installed.....is that to stiffen the body or chassis?

Jared B

Site editor
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice catch..kudos to the photographer.
I would have thought it was just another pickup testing.
No one did explain well why the rear bars like a roll cage diagnal are installed.....is that to stiffen the body or chassis?

Simulates the rear roof structure and D-pillar to see how the chassis behaves.

Sickboy

Reaction score
T
This is also interesting because of recent rumors of others going to IRS on full size pickups...So Ram will be prepared to do that if need be based on what they learn from wagoneer development.

Excited to finally see mules on the road
his shows the flexibility of the platform and where the money was spent. I’m expecting a lot of mileage out of this, maybe the new k car. Depending on who puts what spin on that, it will either be “decade old, un updated ancient platform or forward thinking, well designed, genius money printing platform.

Blown7

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the rear IRS is a totally new design or a WK2 Grand Cherokee unit?

TripleT

Reaction score
They started from somewhere and that not a horrible place to start... But more about where you end up isn't it?

Mopar392

Reaction score
IRS is a good idea on a full-size family SUV for comfort since this is what families usually look for.
Now, I’m not sure if IRS is a good idea for the people who wants to lift or terrain off-road their vehicles.

TripleT

Reaction score
IRS is a good idea on a full-size family SUV for comfort since this is what families usually look for.
Now, I’m not sure if IRS is a good idea for the people who wants to lift or terrain off-road their vehicles.

Since it off the Ram architecture …. and BOF I am sure some enterprising people will be able lift and solid axle it.

My hope is that they do both, given that it would complicate the pull system and the carriers a bit but having both suspensions systems available would be awesome.

Blown7

Reaction score
Since it off the Ram architecture …. and BOF I am sure some enterprising people will be able lift and solid axle it.

My hope is that they do both, given that it would complicate the pull system and the carriers a bit but having both suspensions systems available would be awesome.

There is no denying that IRS rides better.. I went from my straight axles WK1 SRT8 to the 2018 Trackhawk and the ride is night and day.

And that's apparently what people want today.... NVH rules.

And it makes sense if they say, used the Trackhawk IRS that is plenty strong for any application the Wagoneer could need.

Freshforged

Reaction score
Not surprised we finally see a mule, but it’s great to see non-the-less. Was almost hopping that we see a switch to solid axles up front making the Wagoneer a super-sized Wrangler, but it looks like there going the other direction.

TripleT

Reaction score
Price point they are playing Independent suspension is a requirement. Designed right it can be very capable.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
I'm surprised how much I like the proportions on a quad cab with 5'7" bed ...

Users who are viewing this thread