Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CAUGHT: 2020 Ram 1500 With New Tailgate Design:

CAUGHT: 2020 Ram 1500 With New Tailgate Design:
Could This Be The Split Tailgate Design, Or A New Tailgate With Steps?

1544637887543.png

Almost a year ago, our sister site 5thGenRams.com showed the world a patient that Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) filed for a unique split tailgate design. This design in patient drawings showed a tailgate that feature two handles and the split to be a 50/50 down the center. The design also called for integrated ramps, that would slide out of the floor of the box.

To see the rest of the article with more pictures...
https://moparinsiders.com/caught-2020-ram-1500-with-new-tailgate-design/

Rustydodge

Reaction score
OK moparinsiders. Here's my latest harebrained idea.

Dodge Rampage concept:
2006 Dodge Rampage concept cars / pickup

Apparently it was the test bed for future minivan stuff, but what if it may still be hiding future truck stuff? Like the slide out/pivot down tailgate/ramp/step (which was patented a while back)?

A little further off the tailgate theme and why I absolutely love this concept:
  • Midsize truck length but full-size truck width allows for much superior interior space than midsized segment offers (which is why i don't own one).
  • I actually don't care that it doesn't have solid axles and only has 5' long bed...especially if it has a slide out/bed lengthening feature and has at least 48" width. Plus i'd much rather just tow and load things on a 16' trailer. The current 8k durango tow limit is fine
  • Running boards/steps that flip down from the door sills after you open the door could be a good idea - components are protected and doesn't hinder offroard and doesn't collect of bunch of ice buildup like standard truck running boards
  • Stow and go rear seats could be sweet in a truck
  • Sliding rear doors - like a minivan - make soooo much more sense. I've always wondered why can my durango just have slding rear doors? That alone would be soooo handy. Why do only vans get sliding doors???

Users who are viewing this thread