Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CAUGHT: 2019 Ram Heavy Duty Sheds Some Of It’s Camouflage:

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
CAUGHT: 2019 Ram Heavy Duty Sheds Some Of It’s Camouflage:
New Pictures Show Off New Details Of Upcoming Ram Truck...

RamHD-38-of-52-780x405.jpg

For the past several months, 5thGenRams.com and MoparInsiders.com have been breaking down the upcoming Ram Heavy Duty trucks by analyzing spy photos, video, documents and anything else we could get our hands on. We told you how we believed that the upcoming Heavy Duty Rams were updated versions of the current trucks. 5thGenRams.com showed you spy photos of the interior layout of the new trucks as well. We then discussed how we found dealer documents indicating that these new trucks were going to be shown of at the 2019 North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) in Detroit as 2019 model year trucks. Now we have some new pictures and video, showing us even more details about the upcoming Ram Heavy Duty trucks.

Read about it and see the pictures @redriderbob took here: https://moparinsiders.com/caught-2019-ram-heavy-duty-sheds-some-of-its-camouflage/

UN4GTBL

Reaction score
I find it fascinating that they are changing so much about the "current" truck

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
More Pictures Of The 2019 Ram 2500 Tradesman On The Streets:
Daytime Pictures Introduce More Detail About Upcoming Ram Heavy Duty Models...

RamHD1-780x405.jpg

Early this morning, we showed you pictures of the upcoming Ram 2500 Tradesman which happen to have a lot less camouflage covering it’s exterior than previous prototypes we have seen. Now, we have more pictures of the prototype during the day and we can see a lot more detail about the new 2019 Ram Heavy Duty model style.

For more pictures, click the link below..
https://moparinsiders.com/more-pictures-of-the-2019-ram-2500-tradesman-on-the-streets/

MoparMantis

Reaction score
The "hood scoops" look promising, assumimg thats what they are, and its not camouflage.

I wonder if that one had the cummins. The rear end seems noticably higher than the front.

mopar22

Reaction score
Reminds me of a typical heavy duty pickup. Can't say i like or dislike it but that's how i feel about all 2500 and up trucks

58DodgeTruck

Reaction score
RamHD1.jpg

It looks great in person.

So I am very curious as to the reasoning behind keeping the new HD's on some 4th gen parts (Cab, bed) but brining in 5th generation interior parts and new sheet metal for the front end only. I dont claim to have all the answers, but from a cost perspective it would seem to cost more from a standpoint of retrofitting new parts onto older parts, while not giving the new HD's all the possible bells and whistles of the new Half Tons. Do you have a thought on why they are going this route instead of just updating the entire truck to a 5th gen? And to be honest, most buyers will probably not notice a difference so my question very well could be a mute point!

devildodge

Reaction score
I think it has to do more with it being cheaper to adjust the parts, than adjust the plant...if you understand all the plant shuffle talk and all the models that are coming.

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
So I am very curious as to the reasoning behind keeping the new HD's on some 4th gen parts (Cab, bed) but brining in 5th generation interior parts and new sheet metal for the front end only. I dont claim to have all the answers, but from a cost perspective it would seem to cost more from a standpoint of retrofitting new parts onto older parts, while not giving the new HD's all the possible bells and whistles of the new Half Tons. Do you have a thought on why they are going this route instead of just updating the entire truck to a 5th gen? And to be honest, most buyers will probably not notice a difference so my question very well could be a mute point!

I am currently writing an article for MoparInsiders that will cover this. In short... Ram is keeping the still popular and not too outdated Ram 1500 Classic to continue strong truck sales to surpass General Motors as the #2 truck maker in North America. This has been Ram's mission since 2009. Keeping the Ram 1500 Classic in production, means no down time to update the outdated Warren Truck Assembly Plant. This means the Warren Plant will end production in late 2019 or early 2020 and undergo a vast update for its new vehicle lineup. The Warren Plant will get over a $1.2 billion update and will then start production of the 2021 Jeep Wagoneer, Grand Wagoneer, 2021 Dodge Durango and then the all-new 2022 Ram Heavy Duty models.

Saltillo Truck in Mexico will continue the production of the current 4th generation Ram until the 2022 model year. Don't be fooled, FCA US put a lot of money in updating this vehicles. Because Heavy Duty trucks don't have to meet the standards of their half-ton brothers these trucks can live a longer life. The Ford F-250/F-350/F-450 lived from 1999 to 2016 with the same cabs and had heavy updates in those trucks during that time period. Chevrolet's new Silverado 4500 and 5500HD models are wearing older Silverado cabs as well, compared to be launched with its 2019 Silverado 1500 brother at the same time.

Saltillo Truck will continue production, until the end of the production run of the 4th generation trucks. At that time, that plant will be updated to build two new global pickups that will replace the Mitsubishi-based Ram 1200 and Fiat Fullback. The Ram version will then be sold in the U.S. and Canada as a new mid-size offering.

Ram will not base their new mid-size off of the Wrangler truck platform. The Wrangler Truck is basically a smaller scale designed platform of the DS Ram platform (not that it is the same, but very similar). A Ram mid-size would be so expensive if it shared the platform with the Wrangler Truck it would be priced as high as a Ram 1500 and would not be competitive in the market place. Wrangler Truck will be a more expensive vehicle because it is a speciality vehicle.

58DodgeTruck

Reaction score
I am currently writing an article for MoparInsiders that will cover this. In short... Ram is keeping the still popular and not too outdated Ram 1500 Classic to continue strong truck sales to surpass General Motors as the #2 truck maker in North America. This has been Ram's mission since 2009. Keeping the Ram 1500 Classic in production, means no down time to update the outdated Warren Truck Assembly Plant. This means the Warren Plant will end production in late 2019 or early 2020 and undergo a vast update for its new vehicle lineup. The Warren Plant will get over a $1.2 billion update and will then start production of the 2021 Jeep Wagoneer, Grand Wagoneer, 2021 Dodge Durango and then the all-new 2022 Ram Heavy Duty models.

Saltillo Truck in Mexico will continue the production of the current 4th generation Ram until the 2022 model year. Don't be fooled, FCA US put a lot of money in updating this vehicles. Because Heavy Duty trucks don't have to meet the standards of their half-ton brothers these trucks can live a longer life. The Ford F-250/F-350/F-450 lived from 1999 to 2016 with the same cabs and had heavy updates in those trucks during that time period. Chevrolet's new Silverado 4500 and 5500HD models are wearing older Silverado cabs as well, compared to be launched with its 2019 Silverado 1500 brother at the same time.

Saltillo Truck will continue production, until the end of the production run of the 4th generation trucks. At that time, that plant will be updated to build two new global pickups that will replace the Mitsubishi-based Ram 1200 and Fiat Fullback. The Ram version will then be sold in the U.S. and Canada as a new mid-size offering.

Ram will not base their new mid-size off of the Wrangler truck platform. The Wrangler Truck is basically a smaller scale designed platform of the DS Ram platform (not that it is the same, but very similar). A Ram mid-size would be so expensive if it shared the platform with the Wrangler Truck it would be priced as high as a Ram 1500 and would not be competitive in the market place. Wrangler Truck will be a more expensive vehicle because it is a speciality vehicle.
Wow... ask and you shall receive! Great explanation, thanks for taking the time. The 4th gens have been a big hit and were ahead of the competition for much of the time they were out anyway. This makes a great deal of sense considering all the plant shuffles and the fact that HD trucks are generally targeted toward a much different crowd than the 1500 buyer. Honestly I will be looking at a PowerWagon, not because I need a HD truck, but because I love the looks, and capability (even if I will probably not use it that way much). I am sure it will look and feel new with all the updates they are doing.

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow... ask and you shall receive! Great explanation, thanks for taking the time. The 4th gens have been a big hit and were ahead of the competition for much of the time they were out anyway. This makes a great deal of sense considering all the plant shuffles and the fact that HD trucks are generally targeted toward a much different crowd than the 1500 buyer. Honestly I will be looking at a PowerWagon, not because I need a HD truck, but because I love the looks, and capability (even if I will probably not use it that way much). I am sure it will look and feel new with all the updates they are doing.

Hey no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread