Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best dash camera set up to get for both front and rear of Challenger?

VANISHING POINT #1

Reaction score
I have heard and seen good things about the Rexing cams. Best Dash Cams of 2021 - View Our Top 10 List
Thanks for the info. I have heard that BlackVue is the best brand.
Right now I am using a Chorteau I got for $44.00 from Amazon with a front camera and a rear camera that has poor resolution. The front camera is decent. It's a simple system that uses SD card.
I am currently using it in an incident but am having problems transferring the information from the SD Card (AVI files) to the insurance company whose website doesn't accept this type of file and only accepts JPG's of limited size capacity.o_O(n)

rattdawg

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I have heard that BlackVue is the best brand.
Right now I am using a Chorteau I got for $44.00 from Amazon with a front camera and a rear camera that has poor resolution. The front camera is decent. It's a simple system that uses SD card.
I am currently using it in an incident but am having problems transferring the information from the SD Card (AVI files) to the insurance company whose website doesn't accept this type of file and only accepts JPG's of limited size capacity.o_O(n)
I have a Uniden, but am looking at upgrading to get GPS and remote viewing. When it comes to incidents, I always take my own pictures to use when fighting with the insurance company. Had to use them a couple of times too. One other thing I do is sue the other driver for the max in Small Claims court to cover the CarFax depreciation. The insurance company will never cover this.

VANISHING POINT #1

Reaction score
I have a Uniden, but am looking at upgrading to get GPS and remote viewing. When it comes to incidents, I always take my own pictures to use when fighting with the insurance company. Had to use them a couple of times too. One other thing I do is sue the other driver for the max in Small Claims court to cover the CarFax depreciation. The insurance company will never cover this.

Right my insurance company can't even load the avi videos 1 min. each on front camera and rear camera. On top of that their website is limited on JPG size so what good is all this to get my deductible back since the other side is contesting this?:unsure: The dash cam shows everything and it's plain and simple. I don't know why the insurance company doesn't up their technology in their website.
I am going to retain the services from a private accident attorney recommended by my doctor.

Back to updating to a higher end dash cam like the Black Vue there are certain things that are required like Cloud, Wi-Fi in the car and on both of these items I believe there are extra costs involved in subscribing. It won't work with the current car I currently have as it doesn't have that capability of Wi-Fi in the car but from what I understand the Wi-Fi is a weak link in the Black Vue dash cam system which is a very pricey system. Now the current dash cam I doesn't have GPS. But it is a very simple system with SD card and has all the features of motion sensor for parking. It's better than no dash cam. But now I have doubts about these more higher end dash cams because of all the complexity involved and additional subscription fees and additional systems needed along with the smartphone and recommendations ratings I have read. :unsure:

rattdawg

Reaction score
Wi-fi is a item I refuse to turn on in the car. Its provided by AT&T and there coverage is less than stellar in NE where I live plus its an unsecured portal into the cars electronics. I haven't looked at the Black Vue but if it places videos on a cloud its probably a subscription service. I will probably go to a Nexar or a Rexing for my next cam, decent price and features plus a SD card to capture images.

As far as your insurance company, who are they? If they can't accept a simple avi, mpeg, or MP4 they are not worth working with. One reason I typically file a claim with my insurance company (State Farm) who can accept video and images and let them fight with the other insurance company. I don't have the patience to deal with anyone else's insurance company. A deductible is worth my lower blood pressure.

UN4GTBL

Reaction score
Right my insurance company can't even load the avi videos 1 min. each on front camera and rear camera. On top of that their website is limited on JPG size so what good is all this to get my deductible back since the other side is contesting this?:unsure: The dash cam shows everything and it's plain and simple. I don't know why the insurance company doesn't up their technology in their website.
I am going to retain the services from a private accident attorney recommended by my doctor.

Back to updating to a higher end dash cam like the Black Vue there are certain things that are required like Cloud, Wi-Fi in the car and on both of these items I believe there are extra costs involved in subscribing. It won't work with the current car I currently have as it doesn't have that capability of Wi-Fi in the car but from what I understand the Wi-Fi is a weak link in the Black Vue dash cam system which is a very pricey system. Now the current dash cam I doesn't have GPS. But it is a very simple system with SD card and has all the features of motion sensor for parking. It's better than no dash cam. But now I have doubts about these more higher end dash cams because of all the complexity involved and additional subscription fees and additional systems needed along with the smartphone and recommendations ratings I have read. :unsure:
Maybe take screenshots from the video to upload?

UN4GTBL

Reaction score
I've heard of Blackvue cameras, but I can't say that they really impressed me for the cost.

I have 1080p 60fps cameras in our vehicles that rely on an SD card (admittedly I would like a wifi connection) and they pick up everything.

VANISHING POINT #1

Reaction score
I've heard of Blackvue cameras, but I can't say that they really impressed me for the cost.

I have 1080p 60fps cameras in our vehicles that rely on an SD card (admittedly I would like a wifi connection) and they pick up everything.
Seems to be that BlackVue is overpriced and I have heard of alot of failures from the heat. It depends on Wi-Fi and Cloud services that you must have in a new vehicle and pay extra for subscriptions.

VANISHING POINT #1

Reaction score
Wi-fi is a item I refuse to turn on in the car. Its provided by AT&T and there coverage is less than stellar in NE where I live plus its an unsecured portal into the cars electronics. I haven't looked at the Black Vue but if it places videos on a cloud its probably a subscription service. I will probably go to a Nexar or a Rexing for my next cam, decent price and features plus a SD card to capture images.

As far as your insurance company, who are they? If they can't accept a simple avi, mpeg, or MP4 they are not worth working with. One reason I typically file a claim with my insurance company (State Farm) who can accept video and images and let them fight with the other insurance company. I don't have the patience to deal with anyone else's insurance company. A deductible is worth my lower blood pressure.
I concur with you 100% on this about the insurance company. It's State Farm. All of their offices tell me they only use lap tops and don't have computers. Their website is limited to JPG in size and numbers in quantity in pics a few other formats like PDF or PNG. There must be a way to change an MOV/AVI file over to a format that they have. (Though this is a giant insurance company and they should have the technology/ IT Department to make it very easy to download and send all the different formats of videos/pics to them. That's what I pay them for.

I will still stick with the SD Card type of dash cam. Because I know I have the recording and it's a simple install not depending on these outside sources and hook up. These higher end more expensive dash cams need to have Wi-FI, GPS and or Cloud and have problems with failing with these systems with reception or the actual dashcam like BlackVue overheating.
I don't want to have to hook anything up to my phone and depend on that also. It's just too many things involved and more things to fail.

If you get an older classic car you are out of luck in this area of technology plus these two technologies appear to be unreliable as far as reception goes and you MUST pay extra for a subscription/subscriptions.
I just need a dash camera with a higher resolution especially in the rear camera.

Last edited:

VANISHING POINT #1

Reaction score
There are 2 cameras that got my attention,
1- Vantrue N4
This one comes with 3 cameras, front, rear and inside.

2- https://blackvue.com/product/dr900x-2ch-plus/
I like Blackvue because it gets high praise and recommendations from various consumer websites. And it has a WiFi upload capability, which is great.
I have heard of too many failures and negatives/overpriced on BlackVue brand. The Vantrue sounds to be a better system.

VANISHING POINT #1

Reaction score
Maybe take screenshots from the video to upload?
That's a great idea. The insurance company told me to video the dashcamera playing from my computer screen. The front camera is only 1 minute long as well as the rear camera footage 1 minute long for a total of two different videos that I sent separately to them. I also got some still shots from dash camera to show before impact and after impact.

VANISHING POINT #1

Reaction score

Which brand of dash camera do you currently use? Does it also have a rear camera?

UN4GTBL

Reaction score
Which brand of dash camera do you currently use? Does it also have a rear camera?

I don't remember at this point. I bought them at least a couple of years ago now, and haven't had any issue with them.

I do not have a rear facing dash cam, but I keep meaning to get another set of cameras for that purpose. Like you said above, the rear facing cameras rarely seem to have good quality, so I was going to just get another regular dash cam to mount in the rear window.

VANISHING POINT #1

Reaction score
I don't remember at this point. I bought them at least a couple of years ago now, and haven't had any issue with them.

I do not have a rear facing dash cam, but I keep meaning to get another set of cameras for that purpose. Like you said above, the rear facing cameras rarely seem to have good quality, so I was going to just get another regular dash cam to mount in the rear window.
That's a good idea provided that you don't have rear tinted windows.

VANISHING POINT #1

Reaction score
Both of our vehicles have tinted rear windows, but I hadn't really considered that actually. I guess something is better than nothing?
True but I have my rear window tinted pitch black so I had an external camera (which did come with this dashcam unit mounted outside rear of car but it's low resolution) but it clearly shows that the car struck me which is definitely better than nothing. I think the resolution on the rear camera that came with this unit is around 300+. The front camera is alot better 1080P.

Users who are viewing this thread