Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All new electric Fiat 500

KrisW

Reaction score
Interesting... they've kept it mostly the same, and the interior looks very good (or as good as can be seen from pictures this small). 00The only thing I'm not keen on is the "500" front branding - it's a thing I don't like in any car (Land Rover does it on all of its models, and it looks a bit stupid)

@Bili - any news on when the launch event will be held? It was supposed to be Wednesday morning.

pumadog

Reaction score
Interesting. I have to let it sink in before commenting. But agree about that frontal "500".

TripleT

Reaction score
Heritage models have to keep a bit of the historical looks. Nice update.

KrisW

Reaction score
Interesting. I have to let it sink in before commenting. But agree about that frontal "500".
I think it looks worse because of the number-plate also showing "500". Cover that with your finger, and it looks better. I'd still have preferred the FIAT badge, but the new FIAT logo doesn't really work the way the old red badge did.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
500 is sort of a more upscale subbrand and thus 500 on the front is important. I think that this new 500 shows direction for all other upcoming models in 500 family.

pumadog

Reaction score
The whole car looks like a 500 so the front badge isn't necessary. But I'm no big fan of subbrands anyway, also with Abarth, DS, Cupra… They stop any halo effect from the top models to the core brand and make marketing just more fragmented. Will the female customers like the less friendly, mean face?

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
The whole car looks like a 500 so the front badge isn't necessary. But I'm no big fan of subbrands anyway, also with Abarth, DS, Cupra… They stop any halo effect from the top models to the core brand and make marketing just more fragmented. Will the female customers like the less friendly, mean face?

Exactly my thoughts. The 500 helped change the perceptions of Fiat in a lot of european countries (something that most americans won't know). Changing the badge in the front only to 500 makes it seem like they're embarassed of Fiat, instead of working to improve the brand image. At least they kept the badge in the rear, but I also hate this new Fiat badge and I wouldn't have changed the red one.

Although it looks slightly meaner, I don't think it looks aggressive enough to alienate the female buyer. And with the right color option I think it'll probably look more cheerful.
I love what can be seen from the interior. Now I am really curious about range and battery specs. Hopefully 30kWh battery pack.

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I think it looks really nice. I'm not sure about the body line cutting into the headlights. That part looks kind of funky and interrupts the clean lines, but the rest of it looks good.

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
Really like that body line that flows through the headlights... makes the car look more aggressive

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes... IlSore24Ore was too fast. LOL

@Deckard Cain

I don't like the red one either. I prefer tilting lines with or without F I A T in between which is / F / I / A / T / or just /////.

AlfaCuda

Reaction score
I think they've got the styling just right. The face looks angrier which will be more welcome in many markets. The Abarth should look like a little demon ;)

KrisW

Reaction score
Many thanks. Those pictures answer nearly all of my questions about the design :)

It's interesting that we haven't seen any pictures of the hard-top version yet. I wonder if FIAT is going to launch with the (more expensive) C model, then bring in the hard-top later, or maybe there's another surprise waiting for us...

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
Range: 320 km WLTP cycle
Battery capacity: 42 kWh

Fast charger system up to 85 kW -> recharge for 50 km in 5 minutes
35 minutes for 80% recharge
The recharge port "Combo 2" allows AC or DC current recharge.

Three driving modes: normal, range and sherpa.

Maximum power output 87 kW.
0-100 km/h in 9 seconds, 0 - 50 km/h in 3.1 seconds.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
Google Translate:

CHANGE EVERYTHING - A glance is enough to understand that it is a Fiat 500 , even if it is completely new. The third generation of the Turin front-wheel drive city car uses an unprecedented platform, is longer and wider than 6 cm (we are 363 and 170 cm respectively), has an increased wheelbase of 2 and is built in the Turin plant in Mirafiori instead of in Poland. In addition, it is only electric and goes alongside the current 500, petrol, "light" hybrids and LPG, which for now remain in production.

BEFORE THE CABRIO - An original reinterpretation of the round headlights of the New Fiat 500 , now "cut" by the hood that integrates two arches of LED lights that ideally connect to the headlights. The lights are less personal, enlarged but without the painted insert that distinguishes those of the 500 with thermal engine. The chrome handles then gave way to a recess where the hand could be inserted to trigger the electronic lock, while the fiat name appears only on the tailgate and on the convertible top: 500 is a brand in itself. The first to be presented was the convertible version, which becomes the only battery-powered discovery in the list: deliveries begin in the summer.

MAXI-SCREEN - If the bodywork of the New Fiat 500 remains faithful to tradition, inside the designers have enjoyed greater freedom, although there is no lack of references to the past such as the round and compact dashboard (entirely digital). The dashboard is horizontally developed and integrates a soft element that goes from one side to the other, above which the 10.3 '' screen of the multimedia system is cantilevered. Below are the air vents and the piano keys that control the air conditioning. Further down, there is an open compartment, while the gear lever is replaced by four buttons. There is also a large compartment with a shutter between the seats, which also integrates the audio volume controls and driving modes.

320 KM OF AUTONOMY - The engine of the New Fiat 500 , front, has 118 HP and is powered by a 42 kWh lithium-ion battery housed in the floor. According to the WLTP cycle, the average range is 320 km while the official "0-100" is 9 seconds (the speed is instead limited to 150 km / h). The charging socket of the Combo 2 type is hidden behind the flap on the right side: it allows the use of alternating current up to 11 kW and continuous up to 85 kW. In this second case, the battery is regenerated by 80% in 35 minutes while, according to Fiat, 5 minutes are enough to increase the range of 50 km (more than an Italian motorist covers on average in a day) .

DRIVING (ALMOST) BY ITSELF - If the New Fiat 500 has lines inspired by the past, technology is at the forefront. In fact, it is the first city car with level 2 autonomous driving: it is the maximum allowed by law, and allows the car to drive on its own, keeping the center of the lane and following the traffic. It is designed for roads without intersections (such as highways), but requires that the driver remain alert and with his hands on the steering wheel anyway. In addition, the car brings the Uconnect 5 multimedia system to its debut: based on Android, it manages Apple CarPlay and Android Auto even wirelessly, it can update itself via the web, has advanced voice commands and allows the management of many functions from the mobile phone, such as the checking the status of the car and recharging operations, and sending a destination to the on-board navigator.

AUTHOR MUSIC - Like all new electric cars, the New Fiat 500 has an acoustic warning for pedestrians, which makes them aware of the approach of the car and runs up to 20 km / h. Instead of a banal "beep", the house has chosen music in line with the style of the car: that composed by Nino Rota for the film Amarcord by Federico Fellini. The originality also continues in the driving modes: the Normal is flanked by the Range (for which the recovery of the release energy is so intense that the brakes are used almost only in emergencies) and Sherpa. The third takes its name from Nepalese porters and is designed to maximize autonomy: speed is limited to 80 km / h, the throttle response varies (to help those who drive to dose the power request) and are deactivated " climate ”and seat heating.

ALREADY ORDERABLE - The pre-sales of the New Fiat 500 have already begun, for the only convertible in the rich La Prima version, which has everything listed so far as standard plus the full LED headlights, the eco-leather upholstery, the 17 '' alloy wheels and specific inserts inside and out. The price (without incentives) is 37,900 euros and includes the wall box for recharging at home. You can choose between three external colors: gray, green or blue.

Users who are viewing this thread