Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alfa Romeo Giulietta and EMP-2 platform.

kisty

Reaction score
A number of people are talking about this.
Giulietta would follow in the the development line of the 308 and Astra.

Tonale presentation in september is the moment for the new Alfa production plan.

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
I really hope so. Just give it the Firefly engines and the 2.0 GME instead of the crappy PSA engines.

pumadog

Reaction score
Many hope so! But I think until now the posts and articles are just based on wishful thinking. A new Giulietta got a lot more likely with Stellantis.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
I really hope so. Just give it the Firefly engines and the 2.0 GME instead of the crappy PSA engines.
A lot of technical drawbacks for EMP2 v3 to properly take on German competition. I'm talking about driving related technicalities like for example suspension, both materials and typology.

Putting lipstick on a pig? They've been there, done that.

kisty

Reaction score
A lot of technical drawbacks for EMP2 v3 to properly take on German competition. I'm talking about driving related technicalities like for example suspension, both materials and typology.

I showed your reply to my colleagues and they laughed.
You see, we believe in Stella.

TripleT

Reaction score
I remember when Fiat was just going to slap Jeep on a existing platform... then they got the internal requirement for durability and delayed it for 24 months

TripleT

Reaction score
I showed your reply to my colleagues and they laughed.
You see, we believe in Stella.

What is this code for? You agree or disagree?.... Your a fan of French cars as Alfa and Jeeps? You do know that Alfa is on phase three of metal replacement that boarders on exotic, they make some of the best handling cars in the world. Jeep makes vehicles even like the Renegade that can go down a trail that most would fall apart a few yards in..... So you know these things are not fixed by chroming a piece of plastic with a different name on it.

Last edited:

Deckard Cain

Reaction score

I know that there are a lot of technical drawbacks. But the german competition in this segment isn't that good either. So a pig with lipstick is enough in this segment IMO.
And it's not something that hasn't been done before by Fiat to Alfa.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
But the german competition in this segment isn't that good either.
Blasphemy. Just look underneath of German C-segment offerings. Suspension typology, suspension materials, powertrain options, materials used... And c0mpare it to EMP2.

I mean. German cars have aluminium suspension, some of them have independent suspension on all 4 corners for every engine option, mechanical AWD option, limited slip differential option, semi-active suspension option, aluminium subframes. There is a lot of options which EMP2 lacks and which would help with a driver oriented cars.

I mean... For some things even old C-Evo as on Giulietta is more advanced than EMP2.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
What if EMP2 for Alfa would be modified for the target market ie Germans??
Are they willing to do so? And again crucial thing for PSA, now Stellantis, is sharing. With whom will they share it?

Anyway, simple rebadging of another EMP2 v3 car wouldn't make the cut for a proper Alfa Romeo. We would be back at the dark ages of the first gen Alfiats, for example Alfa 155.

Mopar392

Reaction score
That’s true but it doesn’t also mean they will have to water down their models.
They can still use EMP1 or EMP2 for its hybrid and Plug-in Hybrid capabilities and modify the suspension and other points to the needs of either Alfa or Jeep.

I don’t think Alfa, after doing a great work with Guilia and Stelvio, are going to ruin their momentum with a cheap rebadge.

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
Are they willing to do so? And again crucial thing for PSA, now Stellantis, is sharing. With whom will they share it?

Anyway, simple rebadging of another EMP2 v3 car wouldn't make the cut for a proper Alfa Romeo. We would be back at the dark ages of the first gen Alfiats, for example Alfa 155.
They could share it with Opel. PSA, and now Stellantis, seem to want to direct Opel to their past where they made some fun and sporty cars.
An Astra VXR could share a lot with Alfa. Also, currently launching versions with big petrol engines is just dumb. A more powerful version of a Giulietta has to be a PHEV.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
They could share it with Opel. PSA, and now Stellantis, seem to want to direct Opel to their past where they made some fun and sporty cars.
An Astra VXR could share a lot with Alfa. Also, currently launching versions with big petrol engines is just dumb. A more powerful version of a Giulietta has to be a PHEV.
Just back in October 2020 Audi has started selling the latest version of their RS Q3. I'm talking about 2.5 liter Inline 5 capable of 400 HP which has AWD and not eAWD.

They are working on the new RS3. Back in September sales for S3 with 2.0 Inline 4 310 HP AWD has started.

Do you want more?

At this time for European brands and especially Alfa Romeo equals handling with elevated power. Thus PHEV which brings a lot of (undesirable) weight is a big no.

PHEV could be used for middle ground for those people who are green addicts. It's a win-win situation. Such customers would lower overall CO2 numbers while they would also make ICE only and MHEV performance versions plausible.
@KrisW explained this very well on GME T6 and Hemi example.

TripleT

Reaction score
Jeep and Alfa are purpose driven vehicles with dynamic expectation, Styling exercises alone are not appropriate for those brands. While it is possible that from the same factory build points this can be achieved it is not without extensive revisions in design and materials. Given the time scale it seems unlikely that it can be done appropriately.

Mopar392

Reaction score
Jeep and Alfa are purpose driven vehicles with dynamic expectation, Styling exercises alone are not appropriate for those brands. While it is possible that from the same factory build points this can be achieved it is not without extensive revisions in design and materials. Given the time scale it seems unlikely that it can be done appropriately.
This is why I think Tonale would still keep its platform instead of going onto EMP

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
This is why I think Tonale would still keep its platform instead of going onto EMP

Tonale is on the Small Wide...

But smaller model is on PSA CMP. :(

pumadog

Reaction score
I still wonder what will be built beside the Tonale in Pomigliano. One single Alfa SUV will never fill the capacity of the new Small Wide assembly line. Why didn't they give it to Melfi?

Users who are viewing this thread