Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alfa news – event in November?

pumadog

Reaction score
Some news and confirmations of the last days:
  • Alfa will launch a new car every year until 2026 (at least)
  • Only full electric launches from 2027
  • Alejandro Mesonero-Romanos had to design a new concept in his first 40 days, that got already presented to Tavares in Balocco
  • New prototype will be ready for November
  • Now designing the 2024 cars
  • Already working on cars for enthusiasts beside the SUV/crossover market
  • No retro designs to be expected, but inspiration from the past
  • Alfa will return to cooperation with coach builders for special versions, announcement soon
Seems to indicate an Alfa event/presentation in November! :D What do you think?

Sources:
Imparato interview (ES)
Mesonero-Romanos interview (IT)

Appassito

Reaction score
Some news and confirmations of the last days:
  • Alfa will launch a new car every year until 2026 (at least)
  • Only full electric launches from 2027
  • Alejandro Mesonero-Romanos had to design a new concept in his first 40 days, that got already presented to Tavares in Balocco
  • New prototype will be ready for November
  • Now designing the 2024 cars
  • Already working on cars for enthusiasts beside the SUV/crossover market
  • No retro designs to be expected, but inspiration from the past
  • Alfa will return to cooperation with coach builders for special versions, announcement soon
Seems to indicate an Alfa event/presentation in November! :D What do you think?

Sources:
Imparato interview (ES)
Mesonero-Romanos interview (IT)
Spot on.
Lots of things going on "Chez Alfa".

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
I'm cautiously optimistic, although our friend Bili is probably on the other side.
There's things I dislike like shelving PHEVs for current Giulia and Stelvio when sales of these models are taking off in Europe. Another missed opportunity besides the failure to release a station wagon Giulia. I think that they will take too long to launch a successor to the Giulietta but I understand a B-SUV has better margins so it is more important for the survival of the brand.

Last edited:

AlexB

Reaction score
I'm cautiously optimistic, although our friend Bili is probably on the other side.
There's things I dislike like shelving PHEVs for current Giulia and Stelvio when sales of these models are taking off in Europe. Another missed opportunity besides the failure to release a station wagon Giulia. I think that they will take too long to launch a successor to the Giulietta but I understand a B-SUV has better margins so it is more important for the survival of the brand.
I hope we get the announcement on the E-Segment Crossover which is critical for Alfa long term success in North America.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
Event was scheduled for this September.

Anyway, it seems that Imparato is changing plans every couple of changing.

Not so long ago the plan was to have all new Giulia and Stelvio and BEV only models. Basically what you'll see on the new Maserati Grecale should find is place on Stelvio and Giulia in mid 2020's. MCAs are coming in the second of 2022 and if I got it right Giulia MCA will be on sale for around 4 years, much shorter time for Stelvio.

I'm not sure about E segment SUV. Latest rumor says it's a 7 seat model. Why 7 seat for Alfa Romeo? That one should or could be BEV only. It's model for America so I think that BEV only plan will change.

As you know I'm not for BEV only plans and I look at them as they are made by people devoid of reality. Not to mention that "multienergy" platforms are far from ideal for BEV only car models. For BEV only they should develop dedicated BEV platforms.

pumadog

Reaction score
Anyway, it seems that Imparato is changing plans every couple of changing.
AFAIK there is no public official Alfa plan yet. There is/was internal planning going on (which got leaked), open for internal discussion and adjustments. Which is simply wise. That seems to be fixed and green lighted since September. Now we get teasers here and there until the official plan is out (hopefully in November). If they change after that, then I'd call it "changing plans" in good FGA/FCA tradition.

Appassito

Reaction score
On the risk of having my comment again removed by Bili ("contains inappropriate language").

I just wish to say that I live and work in Italy and the company I work for is doing a lot of work for Alfa Romeo and that CEO Imparato is very highly regarded by the people that matter.
A real Alfa man.

cygnus

Reaction score
Are you ready for the seven passenger Alfa built in the US, at Mack? :p

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
I mean, it's normal that internal plans change all the time. We saw the same with FCA.
Some of the changes were good though. I won't mind a 7-seat Alfa SUV. The XC90 is also exclusively a 7-seat SUV and IMO it is superior to the X5 and GLE.

Alfa needs to be in the segment, and 7-seat SUVs are the hot selling items in that segment.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
I mean, it's normal that internal plans change all the time. We saw the same with FCA.
Some of the changes were good though. I won't mind a 7-seat Alfa SUV. The XC90 is also exclusively a 7-seat SUV and IMO it is superior to the X5 and GLE.

Alfa needs to be in the segment, and 7-seat SUVs are the hot selling items in that segment.

Well... There are 7 seat SUVs like Grand Cherokee L, BMW X7 or even Audi A7. And there are 7 seat SUV with 3rd row which has limited usability. XC90 is in this group together with BMW X5.

I always thought that Maserati will have a proper huger 7 seat unibody SUV. Model which could be bigger and more expensive and Levante. Call it Cinqueporte.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score

Hmh. I'm not sure about it but I would not exclude such outcome.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
I just wish to say that I live and work in Italy and the company I work for is doing a lot of work for Alfa Romeo and that CEO Imparato is very highly regarded by the people that matter.
A real Alfa man.
Would you deny or not that both Italian and American dealers were very unhappy with some of the first plans by Imparato? Of course because of different reasons but one is similar. His fixation on BEV only line-up. Now it's pushed back.

As we know Mike Manley did a lot of damage to Alfa Romeo.

TripleT

Reaction score
Alfa with a BEV only is like puke, might as well call it a Samsung. Those who deny that drivetrain is a critical part of what drives the passion in that brand is sadly mistaken. Making Alfa a Italian styling exercise of a generic electric vehicle is heart braking to one of Europe's most historic brands.

cygnus

Reaction score
What defines commercial success for Alfa?

I’ll take a shot -

2026 - $2 Billion USD profit EBIT, globally.

Can it be done? Because right now, Toledo alone does that. Same with SHAP, WTAP, and JNAP. Assume for a moment we go back to normal for chips by Mid-2023.

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
Alfa with a BEV only is like puke, might as well call it a Samsung. Those who deny that drivetrain is a critical part of what drives the passion in that brand is sadly mistaken. Making Alfa a Italian styling exercise of a generic electric vehicle is heart braking to one of Europe's most historic brands.
A Samsung is just a rebadged Renault though. If FCA had merged with Renault maybe they would've gone in that direction as well? :p
Well... There are 7 seat SUVs like Grand Cherokee L, BMW X7 or even Audi A7. And there are 7 seat SUV with 3rd row which has limited usability. XC90 is in this group together with BMW X5.

I always thought that Maserati will have a proper huger 7 seat unibody SUV. Model which could be bigger and more expensive and Levante. Call it Cinqueporte.
If they do a 7-seat SUV in the vein of the XC90 and X5 I think it will be a great model. I doubt a 7-seat Alfa will be equivalent to a Grand Cherokee L.
I would like to see a Maserati SUV that competes with the X7 and GLS, that's a great idea.

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
Would you deny or not that both Italian and American dealers were very unhappy with some of the first plans by Imparato? Of course because of different reasons but one is similar. His fixation on BEV only line-up. Now it's pushed back.

As we know Mike Manley did a lot of damage to Alfa Romeo.
They talked too much at the start. Then they got terrible feedback from their dealers about what they wanted to do. Serves them right.
Proper communication with all the partners, gathering feedback and consider their opinion before making bombastic statements is the way to go. Instead there was a lot of arrogance at the start.

AlexB

Reaction score
Given what may go to Windsor (RAM),and Toluca (CUSW Products :Cherokee and Pacifica) as well Belvidere (Challenger, Charger) I say Brampton together with the Large Chrysler EV Crossover.

2026 timeframe gives Brampton some down time,and remember the favorable Canadian Trade deal with the E.U.

Users who are viewing this thread