Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

360 magnum stroked to a 408 efi cam

Joegcuda68

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a 1989 Dodge Dakota Shelby. This truck came with a fuel injection system. I plan on swapping the original 318, with a completely rebuilt 360 magnum stroked to a 408. Right now I’m getting ready to build the short block, and I’m wondering if I want to put an efi system or carb on it. This will change or effect the cam I put in it. I have cast cylinder heads, they’re decent flowing but not the best. I don’t know the exact ccs. I want a pretty rowdy cam, for sound but also performance. I want a hydraulic roller but I don’t know the specs I would want. I would like to run an efi system because it’ll probably be easier since I do not know how to tune a carb. What kind of cam would you recommend and why?
Joey

patfromigh

Reaction score
Back in the day there were upgrade kits for the computer and fuel injection. This allowed the for the use of the larger throttle body injector setup from the 360 motor. The 360 TBI units are very rare now. IMO carburetors are a step backwards. The original 318 Magnum grind from 1992 was a pretty rowdy grind and was quickly phased out within 2 seasons. The factory lifters were problematic and so the factory answer was to limit the RPMs. Enough Magnum V8 pickups and SUVs have been built that there should be some after performance parts available.

I would communicate directly with the cam manufacturer and tell them what you plan to do. They will give you much better advice than I ever could. Some cam companies work with Mopar more than others and have had a great deal of experience with the Magnum engine series. Somewhere out there are forums dedicated to the Magnum engines. You might want to try them.

Users who are viewing this thread