Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Chrysler Pacifica Getting New Look & AWD Option

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
NEWS: 2021 Chrysler Pacifica Getting New Look & AWD Option
Pacifica Goes In 2021, Looking To Dominate Minivan Sales With Additional Features & New Looks...

Pacifica-refresh.jpg

TripleT

Reaction score
It will be welcome to see the new design language... and the model that will replace the Caravan. Wonder it Portal name will carry on.

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
It will be welcome to see the new design language... and the model that will replace the Caravan. Wonder it Portal name will carry on.

The Portal-like vehicle would be a mini-minivan based on the same architecture as the Pacifica. There hasn't been a lot of new information revolving around it.

TripleT

Reaction score
Exactly and they don’t tend to leave capacity empty.

ricku

Reaction score
NEWS: 2021 Chrysler Pacifica Getting New Look & AWD Option
Pacifica Goes In 2021, Looking To Dominate Minivan Sales With Additional Features & New Looks...

Pacifica-refresh.jpg

The front end looks a little "Kia-ish" to me.

TripleT

Reaction score
The front end looks a little "Kia-ish" to me.

I think this Ryan doing a pretty good job mocking up what it might be.. Personally I don't see Kia, if indeed it mimics the best looking van that did the NS then it wont be Kia'ish anymore than Kia like most of it models is the knock of Purse of the auto industry.

MoparMantis

Reaction score
Can someone explain how the awd system works on the Renegade. Also, what is the range on it? I saw something about 31 miles in one article. I would rarely need it, but it would have been nice while we traveled north for the holidays. The Caravan handled it well, but the extra traction would have been nice for about 150 miles. If I could normally drive around in Fwd, then switch to awd with the electric motors in the rear when needed that would be great.

TripleT

Reaction score
Pretty sure the 31 was electric only, AWD is always available as Electricity from the gas engine will power the rear wheels on-demand like a typical hybrid.

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
Pretty sure the 31 was electric only, AWD is always available as Electricity from the gas engine will power the rear wheels on-demand like a typical hybrid.

Yeah, the 500e was nothing to brag about. It was more of a compliance vehicle. The new 500 BEV should be something unique, especially with how much battery technology has moved ahead. I expect it to be similar to the Chevrolet Bolt if not better.

TripleT

Reaction score
Yeah, the 500e was nothing to brag about. It was more of a compliance vehicle. The new 500 BEV should be something unique, especially with how much battery technology has moved ahead. I expect it to be similar to the Chevrolet Bolt if not better.

Pretty sure he question was about how the 4WD system works on the Renegade PHEV. The way I understand it is that on-demand 4WD is always available with the gas engine running, but the vehicles has 30 mile range electric only. I think his concern was having 4WD always available for bad weather. The 500 BEV will be better but it still a very SMALL car so only so big a battery will fit. North American customer don't often comprehend how small a Aclass vehicle actual is. To Us a B is very small.

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
Pretty sure he question was about how the 4WD system works on the Renegade PHEV. The way I understand it is that on-demand 4WD is always available with the gas engine running, but the vehicles has 30 mile range electric only. I think his concern was having 4WD always available for bad weather. The 500 BEV will be better but it still a very SMALL car so only so big a battery will fit. North American customer don't often comprehend how small a Aclass vehicle actual is. To Us a B is very small.

Jeep hasn't given an exact detail of its operation. But will we see more in a couple of months at Geneva

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score

500 is A segment. But dedicated BEV platform this time. John Elkann had spoken about BEV recently. Something like improved packaging. BEV on dedicated BEV platform.
Switching to it will allow smaller exterior size for European B segment cars. I've heard more than once that cars are getting bigger on the outside but not inside.

For e-AWD I'm wondering when will they start to offer mild hybrid e-AWD systems.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
Jeep hasn't given an exact detail of its operation. But will we see more in a couple of months at Geneva

Jeep? Some setbacks in Renegade and Compass PHEV production. Both should be at Job1 stage around April with first sales around 2 months later.

TripleT

Reaction score
2 Months doesn't seem enough time to get the required mileage in on Job1 Cars

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
JOB1 are first cars for sale.

TripleT

Reaction score
Hmmmm maybe there is language barrier. But Job1 cars a first production units that are shaken down before volume begins.

patfromigh

Reaction score
If we look at FCA's primary driveline suppliers; American Axle, GKN, Magna, and ZF, all of them except ZF offer a P4 solution. I didn't mention Getrag because they are now part of Magna. My guess is that GKN will be the supplier of the AWD hybrid drive for the front drive based Jeeps, since they already provide the mechanical AWD system. GKN also has a good track record with their P4 hybrid system in the Mitsubishi Outlander, some BMWs and Volvos.

I have no idea what the Wranger PHEV technology will be. There are some wild rumors floating around which I find hard to believe. I suspect the real answer will come from one of the primary suppliers.

I agree, we will know more following the auto shows. I'm planning to go to Chicago, but that's too early for anything big.

Users who are viewing this thread