Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Hybrid apprehended in spy shots

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
2020 Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Hybrid apprehended in spy shots
It'll serve up better mileage and better protect officers
http://www.autoblog.com/bloggers/greg-rasa/
explorer-interceptor-hybrid-002-1.jpg

Our spy photographer captured the 2020 Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Hybrid in uniform, rather than in an undercover disguise, on the streets of Dearborn — the first we've seen of it since Ford showed a teaser with lights glaring in the dark and not nearly enough detail for a sketch artist to work with. Now we can clearly see its full mugshot.

Ford said back then that police sales of the Explorer were up 5 percent this year, and the SUV constitutes 65 percent of the total U.S. market for police vehicles. It promised the "the all-new Ford Police Interceptor Utility hybrid is projected to accelerate faster, achieve a higher top speed and have at least 40 percent better fuel economy than the previous V6-powered model."

explorer-interceptor-hybrid-008-1.jpg

Ford also promised "the Police Interceptor Utility features exclusive 75-mph rear impact protection for safety" — mitigating the risk posed by traffic when the cruiser is parked on the shoulder during a traffic stop.

The 2020 Explorer's design tweaks give it a more menacing look in your rear-view mirror, and its flanks show changes in the C-pillar and character line through the door handles.

It also shows a revised tailgate, rear bumper and taillights.

explorer-interceptor-hybrid-017-1.jpg

Expect more details and an official reveal in the next few months, with it reporting for duty shortly after that.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/08/22/2020-ford-explorer-police-interceptor-hybrid-spy-photos

Cody's Car Conundrum

Reaction score
That window between the C and D-Pillar looks like it'll create a pretty big blind spot. Call me crazy, but that just seems too small.

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
What the heck is wrong with that grille?

Typical of new cars... grilles are made big and engine air is taken from the bottom. Faux grille for better aero purposes.

ss8unuytdy0dxcts9knt.png

Upper seven slots on the Compass have no holes... all air is taken in from the three slots in the front bumper.

2017-Jeep-Renegade-Sport-4x4-grille.jpg

Again three slots in front bumper pull in air and seven slot grille on Renegade has just slight openings.

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Typical of new cars... grilles are made big and engine air is taken from the bottom. Faux grille for better aero purposes.

ss8unuytdy0dxcts9knt.png

Upper seven slots on the Compass have no holes... all air is taken in from the three slots in the front bumper.

2017-Jeep-Renegade-Sport-4x4-grille.jpg

Again three slots in front bumper pull in air and seven slot grille on Renegade has just slight openings.
That doesn't bother me and I'm used to seeing it on my mom's Compass Trailhawk. It's just that the overall shape of the Explorer's grille looks like crap.

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
That doesn't bother me and I'm used to seeing it on my mom's Compass Trailhawk. It's just that the overall shape of the Explorer's grille looks like crap.

That's good for Grand Cherokee and Durango Sales...

2019-dodge-durango-pursuit-ogi.jpg

explorer-interceptor-hybrid-002-1.jpg

Jared B

Site editor
Staff member
Reaction score
I feel like Ford is really losing it. I used to be a huge Ford guy but everything they're coming out with lately I just don't like. It also seems like they're following the Audi design philosophy of all new designs being very close to their outgoing design.

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I feel like Ford is really losing it. I used to be a huge Ford guy but everything they're coming out with lately I just don't like. It also seems like they're following the Audi design philosophy of all new designs being very close to their outgoing design.
It works for Audi because their designs look good. Ford’s all look stale and the new Explorer is now both stale and bug-eyed.

I wish they’d also pick a corporate grille design and stick with it. They’ve got like 7.

Last edited:

Jared B

Site editor
Staff member
Reaction score
It works for Audi because their designs look good. Ford’s all look stale and the new Explorer is now both stale and bug-eyed.

I wish they’d also pick a corporate grille design and stick with it. They’ve got like 7.

In my opinion it doesn't really work for Audi either, but I hear what you are saying. I definitely agree on the grille, this doesn't even make sense as it doesn't line up with the insides of the headlights anywhere and just looks incoherent to me.

I'm sure the civilian versions will get different grilles though.

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
In my opinion it doesn't really work for Audi either, but I hear what you are saying. I definitely agree on the grille, this doesn't even make sense as it doesn't line up with the insides of the headlights anywhere and just looks incoherent to me.

I'm sure the civilian versions will get different grilles though.
Civilian versions may get some chrome bars going across the grille. I'm sure the ST grille will just be black mesh like this one, though.

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score

cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg

cq5dam.web.1440.1440.jpeg

cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread