Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram Regular Cab??

MikeHog

Reaction score
I have a 2013 Ram 1500 Laramie. I love this truck. But I'm getting old enough I'm not good at judging depth any longer. This complicates driving a long truck. I'm curious if there is any news regarding a regular cab 1500. Other than a stripped down work truck of course.

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a 2013 Ram 1500 Laramie. I love this truck. But I'm getting old enough I'm not good at judging depth any longer. This complicates driving a long truck. I'm curious if there is any news regarding a regular cab 1500. Other than a stripped down work truck of course.

Not for the 2019 model year for the 1500. However, the 2019 Ram Heavy Dutys will be launching in January with regular cab options...

2020-Ram-2500HD-Regular-Cab-2-1024x661.jpg

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Not for the 2019 model year for the 1500. However, the 2019 Ram Heavy Dutys will be launching in January with regular cab options...

2020-Ram-2500HD-Regular-Cab-2-1024x661.jpg
There are still plans to make a regular cab DT after 2019 though, right?

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
There are still plans to make a regular cab DT after 2019 though, right?

I would hope so. Haven't seen anything official yet. Regular cab models only make up 5% of sales for the 1500. Ram 1500 Classic regular cab models are still available for the 2019 model year.

aa14012a5512acdb8dd1a937b75be397x.jpg

devildodge

Reaction score
I would hope so. Haven't seen anything official yet. Regular cab models only make up 5% of sales for the 1500. Ram 1500 Classic regular cab models are still available for the 2019 model year.

aa14012a5512acdb8dd1a937b75be397x.jpg
There are alot of these on the lots. I really would like to have one but...FAMILY, and I unfortunately can't afford 2 new(er) vehicles

Freshforged

Reaction score
Even if they decide not to make any regular cab 1500s perhaps they would make the “standard” model an extended cab? Or perhaps they intend to cede this territory to the upcoming midsize and the 2500?

58DodgeTruck

Reaction score
From everything I have read / heard there will be a 2020 Ram Single Cab (1500 and up). Those are currently produced in Mexico and will be down while the new factory in the US is up and running with DT Heavy Duty models and 1500 single cab models. While rare, a single cab short bed pickup looks great... as long as you dont have to haul a lot of people I guess.

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Even if they decide not to make any regular cab 1500s perhaps they would make the “standard” model an extended cab? Or perhaps they intend to cede this territory to the upcoming midsize and the 2500?
Good point. Customers needing a regular cab for a fleet or other work-related reasons could get a 2500. Those who just need a smaller daily driver could get the JT.

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
From everything I have read / heard there will be a 2020 Ram Single Cab (1500 and up). Those are currently produced in Mexico and will be down while the new factory in the US is up and running with DT Heavy Duty models and 1500 single cab models. While rare, a single cab short bed pickup looks great... as long as you dont have to haul a lot of people I guess.

The upcoming Ram Heavy Dutys are still the 4th generation trucks... I broke it all down on my article at 5thGenRams.com

https://5thgenrams.com/breakdown-we-look-in-depth-at-the-upcoming-2020-ram-heavy-duty/

I also wrote this piece last week about how the updated Ram Heavy Dutys will be 2019 model year vehicles...

https://moparinsiders.com/more-evidence-of-the-upcoming-ram-heavy-duty-are-the-2019-models/

But I have been chasing down these test trucks every day for the past 6 months... they are most certainly reversed engineered 4th Gen Rams.

http://instagr.am/p/BoA5TC2na8j/

58DodgeTruck

Reaction score
The upcoming Ram Heavy Dutys are still the 4th generation trucks... I broke it all down on my article at 5thGenRams.com

https://5thgenrams.com/breakdown-we-look-in-depth-at-the-upcoming-2020-ram-heavy-duty/

I also wrote this piece last week about how the updated Ram Heavy Dutys will be 2019 model year vehicles...

https://moparinsiders.com/more-evidence-of-the-upcoming-ram-heavy-duty-are-the-2019-models/

But I have been chasing down these test trucks every day for the past 6 months... they are most certainly reversed engineered 4th Gen Rams.

http://instagr.am/p/BoA5TC2na8j/

Thanks,
I actually found the article about the shortly after posting... So in your estimate are the new HD presumably going to be on a more shortened time frame such as a mid cycle change to the 5th generation truck (thinking 2021-22) or will the entire run be on a modernized 4th generation platform? I know the factory swap is playing with the usual system, just thought it was going to delay the launch of the 5th gens... but in reading it this way the 1500's and 2500's will be much more separated for a longer time I guess.

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks,
I actually found the article about the shortly after posting... So in your estimate are the new HD presumably going to be on a more shortened time frame such as a mid cycle change to the 5th generation truck (thinking 2021-22) or will the entire run be on a modernized 4th generation platform? I know the factory swap is playing with the usual system, just thought it was going to delay the launch of the 5th gens... but in reading it this way the 1500's and 2500's will be much more separated for a longer time I guess.

5th Gen HD will be in 2022 model year. During the refresh of the DT models.

58DodgeTruck

Reaction score
A couple of things I would like addressed would be the adding of the 8speed transmission, as well as I would prefer the bucket seat option over the split bench. I would love to replace my existing 4th gen 1500 with a Power Wagon if it had those options... but without that I will possibly stay with the 1500 depending on how the TRX Rebel turns out. Either way, not a bad option... just prefer the fit and feel of the bucket seats.

devildodge

Reaction score
The 8 speed behind the 6.4l tuned for the gasser will be awesome...it has to be coming. The 7.0l Banshee in a Powerwagon, tuned for that application, even more awesome.

I don't think you will see the console in the Powerwagon,as I doubt they will want to remove the manual lever actuated transfer case...but then, they did in the Rebel. And the other HD trucks do have the dial shifted transfer case.
I actually didn't realize you couldn't get it in the Powerwagon, but that has to bethe current reason.

58DodgeTruck

Reaction score
The 8 speed behind the 6.4l tuned for the gasser will be awesome...it has to be coming. The 7.0l Banshee in a Powerwagon, tuned for that application, even more awesome.

I don't think you will see the console in the Powerwagon,as I doubt they will want to remove the manual lever actuated transfer case...but then, they did in the Rebel. And the other HD trucks do have the dial shifted transfer case.
I actually didn't realize you couldn't get it in the Powerwagon, but that has to bethe current reason.
And thats probably a good reason why... I did not know they were not an option either until starting to research and do an online build. I have been so accustomed to my current setup that I cannot imagine not having it now. I am one that would not even mind it not having the shifting lever... bring on the dial shifter as long as it has an 8 speed! The 7.0L would be amazing paired with the 8 speed, you could drive it mild mannered and achieve decent economy (for the application) and have tons of power at the ready when you need it. I have really warmed up to the 5th gens the more I see them. Although I still love the traditional look of the crosshair grill, I would like to see what a rebel would look like with the new RAM grill on the 5th gens... I seem to like the RAM grill better than the Rebel grill for some reason. But if that is all the problems I have its really no big deal.

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score

Everything I've seen posted says the 7.0L will not be coming to the HDs, at least not initially. They're supposed to continue to have the 6.4L BGE unless something has changed recently.

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Although I still love the traditional look of the crosshair grill, I would like to see what a rebel would look like with the new RAM grill on the 5th gens... I seem to like the RAM grill better than the Rebel grill for some reason. But if that is all the problems I have its really no big deal.
Interesting idea. Had to rework the bumper a bit since it's made specifically for the Rebel grille.
RamRebelGrille.jpg

devildodge

Reaction score
Everything I've seen posted says the 7.0L will not be coming to the HDs, at least not initially. They're supposed to continue to have the 6.4L BGE unless something has changed recently.
I agree with you that the 7.0l is not coming initially, if ever.

But people are migrating away from the Diesel in large numbers. The Diesel will always be a need for people who haul over 15000 lbs and or long miles over higher elevation and steep grades.

But as someone who has owned a 2013 Cummins and still have my amazing V10 Magnum. I can tell you a larger V8 gasser is coming sometime. Maybe the 426 Banshee will shine in the TR and us HD guys will get a 440 warthog. 7.2l...hmm maybe make a 7.7l, that would be cool.

My 8.0l V10 could have been so much more with a better transmission. 488 cubic inches and no aftermarket, thanks to that Darn Cummins. But as I have gotten older and wiser, I have no want to tow over 65 mph, heck 60 makes me crazy...and the 6.4l Hemi will do that just fine

Still debating getting a 2018 Cummins withthe G56, though. I do like stick shifts and clutch pedals...but an 8speed auto in the HD...I would completely forget that thought.

Users who are viewing this thread