Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I am hearing they are rethinking the end of the V8 for Charger/Challenger

ChargerFan1

Reaction score
Yup! It would have been smarter for them to keep the Hemi cars for a little while longer AND introduce the new EV line. Backing up now after all this "last edition" hype and resultant buyer frenzy they are hoping to create will only serve to completely destroy company credibility, not to mention possible law suits and continued bad press from those that rush out and spend good money for their "last chance car"...
True but I firmly believe that anyone who wants/wanted a charger or challenger already has or had one. The final edition cars were all just sticker package bs anyways

VANISHING POINT #1

Reaction score
Yup! It would have been smarter for them to keep the Hemi cars for a little while longer AND introduce the new EV line. Backing up now after all this "last edition" hype and resultant buyer frenzy they are hoping to create will only serve to completely destroy company credibility, not to mention possible law suits and continued bad press from those that rush out and spend good money for their "last chance car"...
It's like Dodge is actually forcing the EV's on prospective future or not future buyers.

cygnus

Reaction score
They are really trying to astroturf campaign the EV only route through media outlets and its just not working. The fans are outright rejecting it.

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
It's dumb to go EV only in the US. Hyping up the EV as the top version? Sure, it's the only way to have a model that is competitive in 0-60 times nowadays.
Removing ICE engines removes a nice venue of revenue. Maserati GranTurismo has an ICE and EV version. The Grecale as well. Why not do the same?
It's not like there's a dramatic drop in demand for V8/I6 engines in the US still.

Mopar392

Reaction score
^^^This.

Why don’t also offer both V8 and inline-6 ?
Personally, I don’t care if the V8 becomes the entry level similar to what they are doing with Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer. I might be Will to sacrifice some of these unnecessary features and electronics.

Out of the V8’s, I truly think the Eagle 5.7 is outdated and uncompetitive even now. But the Apache 6.4 is still a solid engine.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
I think they would/will keep a V8, if their fleet average economy allowed for it without paying tesla again (if that sort of this is still allowed).

Currently I believe starting in 2024 an 8% reduction is required. Then in 2026 they have to meet a 49 mpg fleet average.

I repeat....49 MPG average by 2026. So they have to craft plans to comply - until the requirements are (hopefully) tossed in the garbage can.

No one should be mad at STLA. They are doing what they have to.

artillerybuff

Reaction score
True but I firmly believe that anyone who wants/wanted a charger or challenger already has or had one. The final edition cars were all just sticker package bs anyways
It's not just the "final edition last call" vehicles that are out of reach now. All 2023 production and allocation is limited. Dealers have their allocations and are already marking them up way over MSRP. The days of ordering any Hemi Challenger or Charger are basically gone. And yes, those so called specials are just decal packages!

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Speaking of - i was playing around configuring Jeep grand cherokees and i cant seem to configure any version with the 5.7. The 3.6 is all that appears to be available to configure. Even for the L, which is strange b/c their class leading towing capacity claim requires the 5.7. Supposedly beginning with overland trims should have 5.7 as optional.

Last edited:

VANISHING POINT #1

Reaction score
It's not just the "final edition last call" vehicles that are out of reach now. All 2023 production and allocation is limited. Dealers have their allocations and are already marking them up way over MSRP. The days of ordering any Hemi Challenger or Charger are basically gone. And yes, those so called specials are just decal packages!
Just like the 70's decal packages and handling packages.

ChargerFan1

Reaction score
It's dumb to go EV only in the US. Hyping up the EV as the top version? Sure, it's the only way to have a model that is competitive in 0-60 times nowadays.
Removing ICE engines removes a nice venue of revenue. Maserati GranTurismo has an ICE and EV version. The Grecale as well. Why not do the same?
It's not like there's a dramatic drop in demand for V8/I6 eng
I think they are going to use the banshee as the halo car and they're treating it like they use to treat the viper, in 800 volt stage 2 (or 3) trim it'll be an 8 second rocket ship. They could have made a hellcat tire fryer version, but it would be fodder for any performance AWD EV and I highly doubt Dodge wants a million youtube videos of their new car getting scorched by EV Kias and Toyotas. Basically it'll be similar performance to the Rimac Nevera for low 100's

artillerybuff

Reaction score
Just like the 70's decal packages and handling packages.
Kind of, but I owned some of those 1960's and 1970's muscle cars back in the day, and those "decal cars" were backed up by actual performance. These new "decal cars" are no different that the regular models in terms of performance, at least not that I've read. And the price difference makes it a total joke.

VANISHING POINT #1

Reaction score
Kind of, but I owned some of those 1960's and 1970's muscle cars back in the day, and those "decal cars" were backed up by actual performance. These new "decal cars" are no different that the regular models in terms of performance, at least not that I've read. And the price difference makes it a total joke.
Now it is too much $$$$$ 🤑

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
I think they would/will keep a V8, if their fleet average economy allowed for it without paying tesla again (if that sort of this is still allowed).

Currently I believe starting in 2024 an 8% reduction is required. Then in 2026 they have to meet a 49 mpg fleet average.

I repeat....49 MPG average by 2026. So they have to craft plans to comply - until the requirements are (hopefully) tossed in the garbage can.

No one should be mad at STLA. They are doing what they have to.
Aaaah, I wasn't aware of this. It makes the decision make more sense.

justbekuz

Reaction score
That is my understanding as well.
Please correct me if I heard different but wasn't the upcoming high performance turbo straight six with better stats and metrics going to replace the hemi v8?

Derek

Reaction score
From what I heard, they have an internal study going on about having some type of V8 in the next-gen cars. However, nothing has been greenlit. If it does come to market, expect it not to be an entire lineup of HEMI offerings but maybe a top-end performance model. At least IMO.

Is the next gen charger/challenger still going be revealed next year?

Gti-guy

Reaction score
If this does happen, expect Tim to come out and say “we were wrong to signal the end of the V8. Yes, we are going to do limited edition cars for the current platform but we are going to delay introducing the new platform until 2025”
This would throw the media & the New / Old converts into a S**tshow 😂😂. Chrysler has lost a lot of it’s Chrysler is to Boeing with their “NMA” on its “New Body Cars” refresh we never got / or ever made It off the drawing room floor.

jam1

Reaction score
Prefacing by stating the obvious, I'm not a guru or ';in the know' person. Am just a person who happens to be an automotive aficionado.
The whole matter seems to be politics and finding a way to stay in business and meet the E.P.A. standards.
Sell enough Hornets and/or electric vehicles may allow a V-8 version of something?
Dodge is known for muscle and lots of it. Including leading the way.
Now, Dodge's leadership seems to want to make everyone to accept E.V.'s as the answer. I think even Elon alluding to a degree that the country is just not ready yet and trying to force something down everyone's throat is a recipe for disaster?
If the Challenger and Charger go away, my opinion but it would be a *HUGE* MISTAKE. Lose either/both, lose your market. I just find this hard to believe to come to fruition and surely it is hype.
Am not a doom and gloom person, just look at what Dodge has accomplished in the past decade. To take a back-seat in the market just doesn't add-up. I know the I6 is a champ and has loads of potential based on information available. Not down-playing that. But why not a electric assisted V8 that has around 400-500hp with electric boost allowing great gas-mileage and killer performance?
Personally, I'd like to think Dodge has the ability to call a meeting, sit down and gather VALID consumer information from not only it's current consumers but the future ones as well. The V-8 option should be one step above the I6 and have the options to run 87 or 89 octane.
Dodge's current line-up seems to appeal to all ages, my 25 year-old son just traded his '20 Mustang in for a 5.7 Charger. Guess why, two reasons: 1. V-8, 2. Styling of the vehicle. Yes, these two reasons from a 'Generation Z'.
Am hoping someone, ANYONE from Dodge is listening. Telling me you can't offer an affordable V-8 option just does not sound like the Dodge I know. Don't tell me the leader of the performance pack just suddenly walked away. Surely no.

artillerybuff

Reaction score
I hate to say it, but the new 3.0 I6 makes the 5.7 and yes even the 6.4 V8's obsolete. They cannot compete in terms of power/performance, mpg, or emissions. I understand the new direction being taken based upon current and future restrictions and controls, but still strongly feel the United States is no where near ready to fully embrace EV's, not even close. The initial cost is still way too high, the range is way too low, the battery life span/replacement cost is ridiculous, and most importantly the grid cannot handle it. Once all that gets worked out (if it ever does) then talk to me about EV's, until then I won't even look at them. Besides, what energy sources are being used to charge them? Not all green that's for sure. All that being said, I still feel Dodge should have kept the 6.2 Hellcat options alive, at least for a few more years. I love the 5.7 & 6.4 Hemi's, but in stock form they will get spanked by the new 3.0 I6, both at the track and at the fuel pump. The supercharged 6.2 should have been retained as a V8 hemi option, dropping it after 2023 is a big mistake, and it is too late for them to change their minds. To do so now after all the "last year" hype, limited dealer allocation and inflated dealer pricing might even be grounds for a lawsuit. At the very least it would destroy company credibility...

patfromigh

Reaction score
The brands of the legacy Chrysler Corporation which will still offer ICE power will have very few products which are not hybrids. I don't know if there will ever be another V8, but there will be a lot of hybrids. The next generation of rear drive 8-speed automatics are designed to be hybrids. The mild hybrid won't be the same as what Ram is using now. There will be another electric motor in the transmission. There should be some plugin hybrid choices for Dodge as well, but I don't know what that will look like as far as the gas engine involved.

The Chrysler brand will be battery electric only, they have said so already. The Ram brand will have some battery electric vehicles, as they have announced this already. Commercial and fleet buyers want alternatives to gas and diesel as well, ignoring this will prove fatal to any truck brand. BTW, Ram already has built Hemi hybrids. A fleet of PHEV Ram 1500 pickup trucks was built and evaluated last decade. This was a much bigger program than the famed Chrysler turbine program of the 1960s. Yes the batteries fit in a PHEV pickup truck. The Jeep brand already has plugin electric offerings and has announced future BEV products. What they don't talk about is affordability.

(Ram nearly offered a full hybrid option for the Ram 1500 using the same Hemi with a GM built transmission as the Dodge Durango hybrid. That was canceled at the last minute, but the parts were used for the PHEV Ram project.)

Users who are viewing this thread