Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I am hearing they are rethinking the end of the V8 for Charger/Challenger

cygnus

Reaction score
If this does happen, expect Tim to come out and say “we were wrong to signal the end of the V8. Yes, we are going to do limited edition cars for the current platform but we are going to delay introducing the new platform until 2025”

cygnus

Reaction score
There is an emergency V8 Mild hybrid program being explored, but it would delay Charger/Challenger until 2025 and would also be used for the next version of the Ram truck in 2026/2027.

Basically the next iteration of eTorque that exists today for the 1500

AlexB

Reaction score
Chrysler “Airflow “ production model would be start of the STLA Large launch.

Mopar392

Reaction score
Well, if that turns to be true, Dodge could expect some lawsuits from the people who raced to purchase the “Last Call” models.

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
From what I heard, they have an internal study going on about having some type of V8 in the next-gen cars. However, nothing has been greenlit. If it does come to market, expect it not to be an entire lineup of HEMI offerings but maybe a top-end performance model. At least IMO.

cygnus

Reaction score
From what I heard, they have an internal study going on about having some type of V8 in the next-gen cars. However, nothing has been greenlit. If it does come to market, expect it not to be an entire lineup of HEMI offerings but maybe a top-end performance model. At least IMO.

That is my understanding as well.

cygnus

Reaction score
Well, if that turns to be true, Dodge could expect some lawsuits from the people who raced to purchase the “Last Call” models.

Notice how the video posted to the Dodge YouTube channel today says “last call for current generation”

They are starting to walk back the language

cygnus

Reaction score
The problem with mild hybrid is that it is not performance oriented (plug in hybrid is) but the PHEV variant can’t be shared with the 1500 because the 1500 doesn’t have packaging room for batteries.

The other problem is that you can overcome the limited performance of the 5.7 by instread building the system around the 6.4, but the 6.4 is more expensive and would make it more exclusive

The economics that make it work is if it can be shared with the 1500, Grand Cherokee, and Wrangler

So that is my guess, the mild hybrid would be based around the 6.4, or the rumored 7.x L HD powertrain engine.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Viper is based on STLA medium, PHEV, and built overseas. Latter half of this decade.

Last edited:

Mopar392

Reaction score
I would not mind that. True to the saying “ Gotta pay to play”

Jared B

Site editor
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, there is a possibility. That's what I was getting at in this post:
There also might be another big surprise, but at the rate that things change in the automotive world these days it's too far out to know if it will come to fruition or not.
In this thread

From my understanding upper management will still have to buy into it, but in my opinion they would be crazy not to do this.

ScramFan

Reaction score
Notice how the video posted to the Dodge YouTube channel today says “last call for current generation”

They are starting to walk back the language

That's certainly one way to look at it.

Another way to look at it is to note that they always said "last call for current generation." and most likely had been considering keeping a V8 in the lineup for the next generation for a while already, but tried to keep it quiet while they sold out their current product.

ChargerFan1

Reaction score
I understand the top model being EV AWD to sack the Tesla plaid, but to eliminate the V8 in all other trims is just dumb. And sure, the TT6's make a bit more power than the 5.7 and 6.4 but they also have a million more sensors and other breakage points that can have a serious hamper on quality. That needs to be looked at too.

AlexB

Reaction score
The problem with mild hybrid is that it is not performance oriented (plug in hybrid is) but the PHEV variant can’t be shared with the 1500 because the 1500 doesn’t have packaging room for batteries.

The other problem is that you can overcome the limited performance of the 5.7 by instread building the system around the 6.4, but the 6.4 is more expensive and would make it more exclusive

The economics that make it work is if it can be shared with the 1500, Grand Cherokee, and Wrangler

So that is my guess, the mild hybrid would be based around the 6.4, or the rumored 7.x L HD powertrain engine.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Viper is based on STLA medium, PHEV, and built overseas. Latter half of this decade.
Problem where passion (emotion ) doesn’t make business sense, is Grand Cherokee & Wrangler have high coastal market( % percentage of volume) penetration.
The regulations in those areas are clearly going in the opposite direction of HEMI.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Was there ever confirmation of the one un-named dodge spokesperson who said hemi is going away and next gen is BEV? I think much of that was journalist hype to get clicks, and dodge marketing hype for the new gens electrification strategy feeding into it.

My take has always been the next gen having a V8 or not has never been officially confirmed or denied.

ChargerFan1

Reaction score
Was there ever confirmation of the one un-named dodge spokesperson who said hemi is going away and next gen is BEV? I think much of that was journalist hype to get clicks, and dodge marketing hype for the new gens electrification strategy feeding into it.

My take has always been the next gen having a V8 or not has never been officially confirmed or denied.
Steve Magnante, who works pretty close to Chrysler from time to time says the hemi isn't going away and that MT was correct. Perhaps the Banshee line will be EV but the next gen Charger / Challenger will be traditional.

bill burke

Reaction score
Hope springs eternal. Dodge has at least one thing going for it, size. Having a V-8 engine option long term will not impact the over all corporate carbon footprint by much, especially if other Dodges like Hornet and Banshee take up the slack. Next generation, keeping Challenger and Charger with a mild hybrid (E-torque) line of Hemi powered offerings as long or longer than Mustang makes sense. Tim and the boys have heard the push back loud and clear and all electric essentially is being rejected big time by Dodge loyalists. Stellantis bigwigs could play hardball, but if preserving brand identity is more than spin, then this may happen in some form or another. Turbo sixes, and Hemi engines with some type of hybrid would continue to sustain a new generation of Dodge muscle cars. Frankly,Tesla clones would not, and Dodge knows this clearly in spite of the Banshee dog and pony show that previewed a viable and seductive all electric Dodge, but a niche or hallo Dodge and not what Dodge can be for most of its loyal customers. Maybe someday next century.
I believe these rumors have validity and a strong business case for a green light. Thank goodness Dodge is such a small numerical part of Stellantis and yet a big enough part of its performance image to change minds. Yes dear, it’s true, size does matter!

artillerybuff

Reaction score
Ford has taken and claimed the title to the "V8" for 2024.(y)😁
Yup! It would have been smarter for them to keep the Hemi cars for a little while longer AND introduce the new EV line. Backing up now after all this "last edition" hype and resultant buyer frenzy they are hoping to create will only serve to completely destroy company credibility, not to mention possible law suits and continued bad press from those that rush out and spend good money for their "last chance car"...

Users who are viewing this thread