Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My crossing Canada thread

Jared B

Site editor
Staff member
Reaction score
I figured I'd update you guys along the way on my trip. I ended up leaving way late yesterday, about 3:30PM and made it from Vancouver to Revelstoke B.C for the night. Today my goal is Swift Current Saskatchewan, or possibly further depending on what time I get in.

So far the truck has been fantastic and has averaged 19 MPG, not too bad considering it's leveled with big load range E BFGs on it that weigh a ton and has 3.92 gears. Most of my driving was through a pretty extreme mountain pass (elevation change wise) the Coquihalla highway made famous by the tv show "Highway through hell"

I expect fuel mileage to get even better from here on out but even as it is the 32 gallon tank long outlasts my bladder so there hasn't been a frequent need for fuel stops. I'll update along the way and will be taking a lot of pictures/video which will probably result in a large article when I'm done.

Todays trip:
Screenshot (2).png

UN4GTBL

Reaction score
I bet the trip through the Rockies would be quite the sight to behold.

I've been to Banff a couple times, and they are just majestic.

Cody's Car Conundrum

Reaction score
Sweet trip! Can't wait to read more details as they come!

I've watched "Highway Through Hell." Cool show (and some insane circumstances), but "Ice Road Truckers" will still be a fav of mine :cool:

Jared B

Site editor
Staff member
Reaction score
Just stopped to stretch my legs. Banff is beautiful unfortunately you can't see much because the smoke is so bad. Im past Calgary now and it's smokier than it has been all trip.

I mounted a GoPro to my windshield and put it on a 30 second timelapse so it should turn a 10 hour drive into about a 5 minute video that I can post.

UN4GTBL

Reaction score
Just stopped to stretch my legs. Banff is beautiful unfortunately you can't see much because the smoke is so bad. Im past Calgary now and it's smokier than it has been all trip.

I mounted a GoPro to my windshield and put it on a 30 second timelapse so it should turn a 10 hour drive into about a 5 minute video that I can post.

Oh swee!

Jared B

Site editor
Staff member
Reaction score
I ended up going further than I anticipated today, I'm now in Moose Jaw Saskwatchewan, a few hours past where I had originally planned to stop for the night. Truck has been a joy to drive and is knocking out some impressive MPG. Here are a few photos from the day, first few are supposed to be a lookout but since it's so smokey you can't see much of anything, also threw a few shots of the red sun in there.

DSC00393.JPGDSC00394.JPGDSC00395.JPGDSC00396.JPGDSC00397.JPGDSC00398.JPGDSC00399.JPG

Last edited:

Jared B

Site editor
Staff member
Reaction score
Well I think setting the timelapse to 30 second intervals is too long lol, I'll shorten them up for tomorrows drive so it makes a more comprehensive video for you guys. This is the drive from Golden, B.C to Moose Jaw Saskatchewan. The rate that I had the timelapses taken at makes it seem a lot shorter than it was, total drive was about 970KM doing the timelapse, total distance I traveled today was 1,150KM.

Time to get some sleep, back at it in 8 hours. (y)

UN4GTBL

Reaction score
Seeing your time lapses make me kick myself for not doing the same thing for my trip. I had planned on pulling the video off my dashcam at night, but always forgot. Always next time I guess.

Jared B

Site editor
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll have it going on the way back too so it shows going through the mountains etc. I might change the field of view a little narrower though, wide makes everything appear so far away and distorts the image.

devildodge

Reaction score
You still enjoying your roadtrip?

Hope you got a chance to see some good properties, we could see you got some great scenery.

Jared B

Site editor
Staff member
Reaction score
You still enjoying your roadtrip?

Hope you got a chance to see some good properties, we could see you got some great scenery.

I stayed in Winnipeg, Manitoba Thursday and Friday, Saturday I continued east and made it to Thunder Bay, Ontario. I was going to continue on to Toronto but it was just too far. The whole Province of B.C is also on alert right now apparently and there is concern that they might start closing down some highways which would make it near impossible for me to get home until they re-opened. I did a marathon drive today from Thunder Bay, Ontario to Medicine Hat, Alberta, roughly 1800kms. Just got into my hotel room and have to write a quick article then I'm passing out, I am totally beat. I did timelapse the whole thing though as well as from Winnipeg to Thunder Bay, I just have to get them up.

Jared B

Site editor
Staff member
Reaction score

Here's the timelapse. The first leg is from Thunder Bay, ON to Medicine Hat, AB. The second day is Medicine Hat to Langley, B.C

Users who are viewing this thread