Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Challenger SRT – Dual-Snorkel VS Air-Grabber Hood:

This article will be up at 10am EST on 8/15, figured I would give our forum members a taste of what we got in store for Wednesday...

Challenger SRT – Dual-Snorkel VS Air-Grabber Hood:
We Look At The Air-Grabber Hood vs The New 2019 Dual-Snorkel Hood...

Demon-Redeye-Hoods-1024x764.jpg

The interwebs have been blowing up about the people’s opinion on the all-new 2019 Dodge Challenger SRT HELLCAT and SRT HELLCAT Redeye’s dual-snorkel hood. Some people are complaining that they don’t like it as much as the 2018 SRT HELLCAT hood (which is now on the 2019 R/T Scat Pack), and some are rejoicing the new hood because of the 10 additional horsepower it brings to the Challenger SRT HELLCAT.

DG019_026CLfjo24bg4kgvvia039dnihvcbgf.jpg
2019 Dodge Challenger SRT HELLCAT Widebody. (Dodge).

First off, let’s talk about how the standard SRT HELLCAT gets it’s 10 additional horsepower over last year’s model. Heat is the enemy of any high-performance powertrain, so Dodge//SRT engineers looked for more ways to keep the intake air as close to the optimum temperature as possible. One key to the engine’s imposing power output is air – and plenty of it. The new, low-restriction, dual snorkel hood is fully functional and sealed to the air box.

DG019_028CL59r9ffqcgm4rskrodg20il05gk.jpg
2019 Dodge Challenger SRT HELLCAT Widebody featuring a new dual-snorkel hood. (Dodge).

When combined with the Air Catcher headlamp and an inlet near the wheel liner, these three sources give the SRT HELLCAT’s dual-snorkel hood a 18 percent greater air-flow rate than last year’s SRT HELLCAT engine at 1,134 cubic feet per minute (the SRT Demon’s Air-Grabber™ intake had an air-flow rate of 1,150 cubic feet per minute; only a 12 cubic foot difference). At full power, this is the equivalent flow rate to 89 adults simultaneously emptying their lungs in 1 second. The revised air inlet path on the new dual-snorkel hood results in an intake air temperature reduction of 4 degrees Fahrenheit.

This answers a lot of the questions we have been receiving about why doesn’t the hood have heat extractors like the 2018 model.

DG018_246CLokovefdeqs8p63mg7inkfid4s5.jpg
2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon’s Air-Grabber™ Hood. (Dodge).

This new dual-snorkel hood and air box functions exactly like the 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon’s Air-Grabber™ system. Matter of fact it uses the same air box as the SRT Demon. Like the Air-Grabber™ intake system both snorkels feed into one single duct that the flows directly to the top of the air box. The only difference between the Air-Grabber™ and the dual-snorkel is the Air-Grabber™ opening is a tad taller and runs across the hood instead of having a break in the middle.

You can read the entire article here...
http://www.moparinsiders.com/challenger-srt-dual-snorkel-vs-air-grabber-hood

devildodge

Reaction score
An excellent article. Straight to the point and full of facts. I really like the dual snorkel hood. Heard some bad things about the black piece in the Demon airscoop.

Man do I want a challenger

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
It has grown on me. I think I prefer the dual snorkel design to the AirGrabber hood. The newer design looks more refined.

Users who are viewing this thread