Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ford CEO Teases Next-Gen EV Pickup During F-150 Lightning Launch

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score

Ford CEO Teases Next-Gen EV Pickup During F-150 Lightning Launch​

Ford is building a new manufacturing facility in Tennessee for the next-generation F-Series, and it will be "different."​

1651051540664.png

Speaking during Ford's Livestream kickoff event for F-150 Lightning production, CEO Jim Farley let slip a rather tantalizing sentence regarding the near future for electric Blue Oval trucks. In short, you can expect a different F-Series out of Ford's new Tennessee manufacturing facility. Are we talking about a new off-roader? An HD model? Something else? Let's plug in some variables and see where the road leads.

WXman

Reaction score
I did some napkin math this morning comparing the Lightning to my current 2016 Toyota Tundra which has been averaging 13 MPG @ $3.65/gallon.

My Tundra goes ~350 miles on ~27 gallons of fuel which works out to 3.57 miles per dollar, or $420 per month at 1,500 miles traveled per month.

The Lightning is 225 miles on 98 kWh of electricity which at $0.10/kWh is $9.80. That works out to 20.87 miles per dollar, or $72 per month at 1,500 miles traveled.

So at current gas prices, I would stand to save $348 per month for "fueling" my truck alone. That doesn't account for savings from no engine oil, no oil filters, etc.

Having said that, nobody has a clue how insurance companies are going to handle rates on these, or what repair costs will be out of warranty, etc. Or the actual costs of installing home 240v charging solutions, etc. In the long term those wild cards could eat up any savings on fuel. We just don't know....

patfromigh

Reaction score
Or the actual costs of installing home 240v charging solutions, etc
Many electric utility companies have programs for plugin vehicle owners. Such programs offer advice plus they give upfront information on charger installation and any special rates for EVs.

WXman

Reaction score
The F-150 Lightning is totally sold out. No more reservations, and one of the largest dealers in Kentucky told me on the phone that they're expecting 3 years to actually have any on the lot.

So I reserved a Silverado EV. It's only $100 bucks, and it is refundable up until I officially place the order with my dealer once they contact me and tell me they're ready, so it's not a big loss. And this gives me 18 months to research EV trucks more AND check out the Ram Revolution EV reveal at the L.A. auto show this fall. The Silverado EV has 400 miles of range being projected and that matches my current ICE pickup truck. I expect the Ram offering to be even better, but we will see!!!

Users who are viewing this thread