Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can the OEMs build a sub $50K USD BEV that does 0-60 in less than 5s?

cygnus

Reaction score
Look, I think Tesla is a fraudulent company - the build quality is terrible, and single screen in the center console for the M3 is a stupid design. But what the OEMs need to do is figure out a way to build a vehicle that does 0-60, for under $50K, under 5s.

That's the engineering spec to beat Tesla. To date, the only vehicle that comes close is the Mach E. Who is going to offer another competitive EV entrant, that meets this spec (< $50K and 0-60 < 5s), and when?

Everything else on the performance front is in the mid $60Ks, to $70Ks. Where are the performant offerings at a reasonable price?

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
I can honestly one Tesla Model S ever and it was like 5 years ago and it had really good build quality. The newer Tesla Model Y and 3 think are butt ugly and hate the bleek dash with one screen. While I disagree with everything surrounding all-electric cars I think the new Chevrolet Bolt EUV isn't bad looking, but its not great either. Unfortunately, all-electric vehicles are only offered in two flavors, large vehicles with low range and over $100k USD or small compact vehicles that I would struggle to fit in, still are more than $45k USD before tax rebates and feature crap styling. I think mHEV is a soft spot, no 2 hours of charging for a full charge on a long trip and much cheaper.

1618249966263.png

1618249701361.png

cygnus

Reaction score
MHEV, BEV, ICE - whatever it takes. The fact of the matter is that Tesla, with the Model 3 Long Range, has a $50K vehicle that does 0-60 in 4.7 seconds.

The OEMs need to build something with that speed at a similar price point.

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
MHEV, BEV, ICE - whatever it takes. The fact of the matter is that Tesla, with the Model 3 Long Range, has a $50K vehicle that does 0-60 in 4.7 seconds.

The OEMs need to build something with that speed at a similar price point.
I think range is more important. I'd be fine with 0-60 in 7-ish seconds because that's what my Grand Cherokee does. I just want over 400 miles of range under $50k.

There are really no "affordable" larger EVs right now. I'm 6'5 and have driven a Bolt - it's not ideal. If someone builds a more affordable EV ($50k or less) with long range, decent acceleration, and enough headroom and legroom for me, I'm there for it. I'm absolutely on board with the transition away from the ICE, but it's not going to happen until range anxiety can be alleviated and charging stations are more widespread.

I've said many times that my next vehicle will be electrified in some way. Not sure that's true right now. I expected more PHEVs to be out by now. Maybe my next, next car. ;)

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
I think range is more important. I'd be fine with 0-60 in 7-ish seconds because that's what my Grand Cherokee does. I just want over 400 miles of range under $50k.

There are really no "affordable" larger EVs right now. I'm 6'5 and have driven a Bolt - it's not ideal. If someone builds a more affordable EV ($50k or less) with long range, decent acceleration, and enough headroom and legroom for me, I'm there for it. I'm absolutely on board with the transition away from the ICE, but it's not going to happen until range anxiety can be alleviated and charging stations are more widespread.

I've said many times that my next vehicle will be electrified in some way. Not sure that's true right now. I expected more PHEVs to be out by now. Maybe my next, next car. ;)

I agree.

Deckard Cain

Reaction score

Check the Polestar 2. But I don't know what you mean with larger EV. The ID4 might also be a good choice.
Or the Ioniq5 or KIA EV6.

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Check the Polestar 2. But I don't know what you mean with larger EV. The ID4 might also be a good choice.
Or the Ioniq5 or KIA EV6.
Those are all compact as far as I can tell.

Larger, like something equivalent to a Charger if it's a sedan or Grand Cherokee if it's an SUV.

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
Those are all compact as far as I can tell.

Larger, like something equivalent to a Charger if it's a sedan or Grand Cherokee if it's an SUV.
The Ioniq 5 has a wheelbase larger than a Passat. But yes, if you want something larger you should go to a Mercedes EQS. :p

Users who are viewing this thread